Diappointment but promising performance from the NFGT at Daytona 24 hours

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Yes, while both cars did break due to electronic nafoos the No.66 car lead in class for a while and held third place an hour in and Mucke held the fastest lap record.

Although the NFGT did well in all its testing as they say "testing is not racing". Confident they will iron out the bugs though.

:thumbsup

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
"The Deuce" would not have been happy....

View attachment 40908

View attachment 40909

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The cars finished and were on pace with their competitors. I'm very optimistic about their future performance. A big thanks to Dave and Ford for taking care of us at the race.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
One thing for sure, the entire race series is a buzz, as it had to be one if not the largest crowd ever at Daytona for the 24 hour since the Ford Gt program joined the series. It was overheard by many.
Ive never seen it like that and Ford banners, flags were everywhere.
Good beginning!
GTJOEY1314

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Great to see everyone. Wonderful watching all aspects of the race. Great venue. Thanks Dave!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The Ford's had a very respectable performance for a first outing. It was fun but probably very unrealistic to have expected more. The good news is that the cars showed that they can indeed be competitive and this was a great venue to get a lot of the bugs worked out. Ford personnel and all involved should be very happy for what they accomplished.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
The Ford's had a very respectable performance for a first outing. It was fun but probably very unrealistic to have expected more. The good news is that the cars showed that they can indeed be competitive and this was a great venue to get a lot of the bugs worked out. Ford personnel and all involved should be very happy for what they accomplished.

Agreed!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Great event, I'll see who ever comes to COTA. It's an hour from home. Anyone arriving early or staying longer we can come up with something to do.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
We had the chance to speak with several team members, crew guys, Ford Execs, MultiMatic and all of the spirits are high as well as their confidence. Le Mans is the prize and they have their eyes firmly set on it.

Vince H

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
It was great to get to go out there and see it. I agree with Joey. The entire place was buzzing about the cars both old and new. We got a great reaction on the tourist lap of the track even though it was slow. As for the new race cars, remember the first GT40 had a rocky start too. Once they got a few things ironed out it became legend quickly.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I am confident they will work out the kinks.

This new car will be a winner!

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
Yes, while both cars did break due to electronic nafoos the No.66 car lead in class for a while and held third place an hour in and Mucke held the fastest lap record.

Although the NFGT did well in all its testing as they say "testing is not racing". Confident they will iron out the bugs though.

:thumbsup

Jan Magnussen just pipped the 67 for the fast lap of the race in GTLM during their insane battle for the win at the end of the race. I'd say they really got the BOP correct in GTLM, though! And although they had some issues throughout the race, they were fast and they got to the finis.

If anyone else remembers, something similar happened at Daytona in 2014 when the EcoBoost program was brand new and they had the engine in the Riley DPs. They had a dreadful Daytona, but came back 6 weeks later with an improved car and won the 12 Hours of Sebring!

3 Corvette: 1:44.012
67 Ford: 1:44.391
4 Corvette: 1:44.563
68 Ferrari: 1:44.589
912 Porsche: 1:44.599
100 BMW: 1:44.606
911 Porsche: 1:44.612
72 Ferrari: 1:44.639
25 BMW: 1:44.844
66 Ford: 1:44.979
62 Ferrari: 1:45.063

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
One thing for sure, the entire race series is a buzz, as it had to be one if not the largest crowd ever at Daytona for the 24 hour since the Ford Gt program joined the series. It was overheard by many.
Ive never seen it like that and Ford banners, flags were everywhere.
Good beginning!
GTJOEY1314

I've been to the Rolex 24 four times now and I've never seen the crowds so huge in the middle of the night. Definitely the biggest crowds I've seen there. The new FGT was surely a part of that.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Great Job Ford!! Just getting where they have in the last twelve months since reveal should be something to be very proud of! The bugs will get worked out of the cars and they will be very fast.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
What a fantastic weekend to be at the track! Great to see so many people, and the cars. As I had said before, the last thing we wanted was the car to win, and have a BOP "correction". On to Sebring!

tomato an

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 3, 2015
Fresno, Ca
Nice getting to meet you GTJoey.............. Remember don't get off in Chicago if your going to New York............... Cheers...................

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
So much fun seeing everyone at Daytona. :thumbsup
I was so impressed with the sound of all the Ford cars especially coming into the first turn and barking downshifts. It was so easy to tell the Fords from any other car out there even when we weren't in sight. To me it sounds like the future, and the future looks, (and sounds) great! Can't wait for Le Mans. :usa:usa

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Great time with the GT gang at Blake's RV (Bus?) yesterday post race. Larry Holt from Multimatic dropped by and then came to dinner with us.
Sorry for the iPhone rotation!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 201
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 201

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
Probably the most footage of a 24h race I've ever watched (~17h) so far, even though the GT's were out of contention early. Lap times were mostly on par, sometimes quicker then lead cars. Every once in awhile though they were in the 2-3 mins which I guess would be the gearbox issues.

One very cool part I noticed was on the high bank early in the race when everyones running full out, the GT's were pulling away on everyone. The one shot of the #3 Corvette right behind just seeing taillights getting farther and farther away was oh so right..