Dead Boost Guage

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The existing GT gauges use an air-core stepper motor. Air cores are advantageous because they are quiet and they can sweep very fast. Allegedly, something is killing the air core stepper motors in the OEM gauges. The "new" gauges from Autometer will utilize traditional stepper motors. These motors are presumably more robust (who really knows if they may fail too?). But stepper motors are 1) noisey, and; 2) comparatively slow. This "slow" attribute is what has precluded the tach and speedo from consideration as both of these gauges need to sweep very quickly. So, there will not be any last-minute change of heart. These gauges will remain as-is and available through Ford. I am worried about the noise from the new gauges. I had installed some latest-generation Autometer gauges in my Laguna Seca.... and the noise from them was objectionable.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I don't know what kind of gauges I've had in all the fast cars in my life, but they all swept quickly, none made any noise, and none ever failed.

Has any other car made in the past hundred years had this problem?

P.S. All my gauges work.

P.P.S. Given that the speedometer reads to 220, the needle in my GT moves slower than the needle in my Miata.

P.P.P.S. Given that the latest gen Autometer gauges in your LS suck, why would any manufacturer use Autometer?

This back and forth will go on ad infinitum for one reason, as I see it. The OEM gauges look cool. None of the Speedhut gauges are anywhere near as cool looking as OEM. None. Not even close. I think if Speedhut could duplicate the OEM look, including the flat-bottom tach, all this angst would disappear. And, I haven't heard anyone complain about the noise or responsiveness from Speedhut stepper motors.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I only notice the noise of the Speedhuts when I turn the key on and the engine isn't running yet. With the engine and tire (Hoosiers) noise who can hear the steppers anyway.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Black ice you are correct, no sensor, although the diagnostics does mention a pressure line, I am assuming that does not exist.. Doesn't seem like a very accurate way to measure boost, using the MAF airflow, ..maybe a map sensor would have been better.

The inferred MAP is also used to determine the fuel pump duty cycle. Get you MAF table wrong can make a lot of things work less than ideal. Not a problem for a stock car but can be for a modified one.

Last edited:

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
thanks for the input and explanation, air core and stepper all chinese to me. Has the final cause ben found out? something inherent to the gauges or something outside which is causing the problems (all the talk about weak batteries and faulty grounds). If something can be done outside the gauges and therefore avoid future gauges going bad?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Kendall; Thanks for the explanation, I could not figure out why not the tach and the speedo until I read your post.

Why then this is the only other option available from Ford/Autometer (never mind the Speedhut option for now). The rest of the fast cars world does not have to deal with noisy gauges or failing gauges, yes ?

Last edited:
I disagree. You can work with Speedhut designers to get the gauge faces you want. Except for the D-shaped tach, you can have a set of gauges that look stock.

This back and forth will go on ad infinitum for one reason, as I see it. The OEM gauges look cool. None of the Speedhut gauges are anywhere near as cool looking as OEM. None. Not even close. I think if Speedhut could duplicate the OEM look, including the flat-bottom tach, all this angst would disappear.

bigdaddo

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2006
your location? help in area....

Pebble Beach, CA

bigdaddo

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2006
How can I contact Ryan?

bigdaddo

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2006
Yesterday while I was replacing the original battery in my '07 Ranger, the local Interstate Battery merchant I work with gently urged me to replace the original battery that is still nestled in my '06 Ford GT. I'm going to take his advice and probably go with an Interstate battery or upgrade to an Optima. First question: Is there anything I need to know about selecting a battery replacement for my GT? Second question: Why did you think my boost guage problem may be battery-related?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
First question: Is there anything I need to know about selecting a battery replacement for my GT? Second question: Why did you think my boost guage problem may be battery-related?

GEEEZZZZZ!!!!!
SEARCH FUNCTION!!!

Sorry, but do you even bother to read the post responses?

bigdaddo

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2006
bigdaddo,

All good information here and agree with most in highly recommending someone familiar with FGT gauge swaps over a Ford dealership. I am sure Kendall or one of his staff could easily perform the operation for you (without causing any "other" problems which frequently surface after a dealership service operation). Not true for ALL dealerships, but specialized FGT maintenance personnel have developed over time since production ceased to service our cars, and they are very good at what they do.

As mentioned, the gauge problem is WELL documented in the annuals of these Forum posts. You joined our Forum January 2006 and have only 7 posts.? Really? Try to visit our community more frequently or use the search function on our site as a great deal of technical information has been discussed. (Including the gauge problems).:wink

Who is Kendall & how do I contact him?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Sorry, legitimate question.

Kendall, is the owner of cooltech. His screen name here on the Forum is "Nota4re". http://www.cooltechllc.com/

He knows our cars well and you being in California is probably your best shot at having the gauge replaced by someone who had done it many times before.

I would send him a PM or since he watches these posts as well he may PM you. I am sure he can fill you in on the FGT battery selection options and the battery ground strap suggestions.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
...He knows our cars well ...

Wow, there's an understatement.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Boost gauge went today:(Tach already gone.) Was waiting for the "fix" but unfortunately does not include tach or speedo. Will therefore purchase set of "stock" replacement gauges. My question has anyone "mixed" speed hut tach or speedo with stock gauges? Or all or none.? If tach and speedo not changing would be good to at least be able to buy them at a steep discount instead of $1300!!

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Boost gauge went today:(Tach already gone.) Was waiting for the "fix" but unfortunately does not include tach or speedo. Will therefore purchase set of "stock" replacement gauges. My question has anyone "mixed" speed hut tach or speedo with stock gauges? Or all or none.? If tach and speedo not changing would be good to at least be able to buy them at a steep discount instead of $1300!!

I think after all is said and done, replace entire set with Speedhut. The labor is the same as for one gauge and the aggravation of waiting for another failure is gone. I understand your logic, but just biting the bullet is the better solution in this case. At least is was for me

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York

Gene, all of my gauges were still working, but while my car was with GTG's, I felt why tempt fate. I had them pull the working gauges, pack them, and install the Speedhut's. Other than a gas gauge that seems to be reading a little off (and corrects itself), they're great, and most importantly, no more fear!!!! Many have done this before the gauges start to fail. While there's no guarantee that my gauges will work when hooked up again, I have all the OEM, and can return to stock if I choose to. Replace them all now, no more worries!!

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
The more I think about it the more I will go that way! There were some lengthy posts about how to swAp them out. No one in my neck of the woods to do it. I quess speed hut can customize the dials some what . I will need to give them a call!
Oh by the way, I grew up in ryebrook!

Go with Speedhut. They can do a considerable amount of customization - look at their web site and you will be amazed at the choices you have. There is no point in buying new original gauges, it's just pouring money down a rathole for units that are no better. If you want "original" gauges to replace the failed ones, at least wait for the semi-mythical improved ones and buy those, then put them on the shelf.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I visited speed hut website. Package deal with plate. Nice! You think they have sold a few!? What is the census on the shifting point lights? A gimmick or worthwhile?