Dead Boost Guage

bigdaddo

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2006
Have any of you out there had this problem and figured out what the cause was? I'd like to see if it is something obvious before taking it to a Ford dealer.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
There are likely a hundred or more pages on this forum pertaining to the known gauge problem. Let's not start another one. If your boost gauge is consistently not moving after multiple starts, then your gauge is bad and needs to be replaced. The new gauge is ~$900. Whomever replaces it need to be very careful not to scratch up the bezel or other components when doing the replacement. I wouldn't recommend having a Ford dealership to do the work but rather someone who has replaced gauges before and knows how to do it and will treat the car like the $250K car that it is. (Note: There are a few Ford dealership across the Country that fit this criteria - but the vast majority do not.)

Where've you been?

Have any of you out there had this problem and figured out what the cause was? I'd like to see if it is something obvious before taking it to a Ford dealer.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
And did you hear the news?? The Red Sox won a World Series!" Sorry, couldn't resist.

Agee that taking it to a Ford dealer will result in true misery.

Try a new battery just for grins and if the current needs replacing anyway.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
You might consider this option .
http://www.britospeed.com/products.htm

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
your location? help in area....

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
You could try the sender unit on the engine

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You could try the sender unit on the engine

There isn't a sensor other than the MAF. If the MAF fails you will get a code and limp home mode.

Stock is only inferred boost based on MAF/airflow, RPM and displacement.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Welcome to our world!! Had 4 failures so far! There is a fix coming soon I hear.

Mike

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Welcome to our world!! Had 4 failures so far! There is a fix coming soon I hear.

Mike

Autometer will "soon" make improved meters, but not the tach of speedo.

Speedhut has all improved meters now.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Or this failure could give you the excuse you need to upgrade to a higher-reading boost gauge now, 'cause, sooner or later, you'll want to increase the boost!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
And did you hear the news?? The Red Sox won a World Series!" Sorry, couldn't resist.

Agee that taking it to a Ford dealer will result in true misery.

Try a new battery just for grins and if the current needs replacing anyway.

No it wasn't the Red Sox. You were close. It was the White Sox.

My boost gauge died too, I got a new one. I will put it in and verify it works and then take the whole thing out put it in a sealed plastic container with gold plated nitrogen to preserve them for posterity in case some one wants to restore it to original and drop a set of speedhuts in the car. The Ford/Autometer concession covers all but the two big gauges (tach/speedo) but they fail with the same rate as others, so you're still stuck.

Last edited:

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Black ice you are correct, no sensor, although the diagnostics does mention a pressure line, I am assuming that does not exist.. Doesn't seem like a very accurate way to measure boost, using the MAF airflow, ..maybe a map sensor would have been better.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
No it wasn't the Red Sox. You were close. It was the White Sox.

My boost gauge died too, I got a new one. I will put it in and verify it works and then take the whole thing out put it in a sealed plastic container with gold plated nitrogen to preserve them for posterity in case some one wants to restore it to original and drop a set of speedhuts in the car. The Ford/Autometer concession covers all but the two big gauges (tach/speedo) but they fail with the same rate as others, so you're still stuck.

bigdaddo

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2006
Autometer will "soon" make improved meters, but not the tach of speedo.

Speedhut has all improved meters now.

I'm located in the Monterey Bay area. Do you have any recommendations of a qualified shop to fix the problem? I'm considering Canepa in Scotts Valley.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
bigdaddo - We are in Southern California. Journeyman GT guru mechanic Ryan can work something out in the not-to-distant future as I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming to your neck of the woods. He's got Ford GT work/upgrade engagements in NY and then in Oregon but may have some time in the mid-June timeframe if that's of interest to you.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
bigdaddo,

All good information here and agree with most in highly recommending someone familiar with FGT gauge swaps over a Ford dealership. I am sure Kendall or one of his staff could easily perform the operation for you (without causing any "other" problems which frequently surface after a dealership service operation). Not true for ALL dealerships, but specialized FGT maintenance personnel have developed over time since production ceased to service our cars, and they are very good at what they do.

As mentioned, the gauge problem is WELL documented in the annuals of these Forum posts. You joined our Forum January 2006 and have only 7 posts.? Really? Try to visit our community more frequently or use the search function on our site as a great deal of technical information has been discussed. (Including the gauge problems).:wink

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
If you haven't gotten the point yet, go to search, all the information you need is in there. For many of us, me included, the best fix was replacing the entire panel of gauges with the Speedhut unit. The work required is about the same as replacing your boost gauge alone. The cost and reliability of the Speedhut gauges makes replacing the boost gauge with a stock Ford unit questionable. By all means save the old gauges just in case.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I still can't believe the tach and speedo are not included in "the fix"! I am still hopefull at the last minute they will be included! If not I am sure sooner or later they will ALL give out! It does not make sense otherwise...

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
What is the rationale for leaving gauges out??