Customer Satisfaction Program 07B49

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
By the way, I only have 2600 relatively gentle smiles.

As has been mentioned B4, it's been discovered this pblm is TIME related...not mileage or "type of use" related.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Got my bolt kit last week, car is in the lift bay now, and hopefully, I'm gonna' get started on it tomorrow.

mardyn

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
By the way, I only have 2600 relatively gentle smiles.

Pockets is absolutely correct. Not mileage or hard driving related at all. See prior posts.
BONY offers correct advice. Get them changed as soon as practible.

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
As has been mentioned B4, it's been discovered this pblm is TIME related...not mileage or "type of use" related.

How does "time" cause something to fail? It should be linked to cycles or "type of use"!
I am confused!!:confused

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
How does "time" cause something to fail? It should be linked to cycles or "type of use"!
I am confused!!:confused

Yeah, I was thinking the same exact thing.:confused I think what they are trying to say is that the question is not "IF they will break but WHEN". Glad I replaced mine, glad none were busted before or during the replacement, and glad I will have peace of mind for the remainder of my ownership.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Please, read the thread... they used the wrong bolts. All the information is here for you to read. Thanks.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
" The original internal hex bolts were electro-plated which with hardened steel promotes hydrogen embrittlement. A surface phenomon which causes micro cracks to develop which grow in fatigue until bolt area is compromised to a point it cannot withstand even the small loads imposed. The bolt then fails in shear. New kit has external hex head bolts from a domestic supplier without electro-plating. Bolt failures had nothing to do with how an owner "drove" his car (easy or hard)." - IndyGT post #156 this thread

In plain English, the bolts kinda get brittle over time and break as a result.:biggrin

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Hahah. Good translation!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I could not have said it better myself...
Thanks Pockets!!!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Slightly different scenario...

I had the AccuFab bolts installed at the last National Rally. It was determined at that time that one bolt on each side had failed.

Today I have my ride over at Stillen to have their new clutch plate put in. While their guys were pulling my car apart, they notice that the AccuFab transaxle output shaft bolts are leaking....

What would be the recommended course of action?
1. Clean the AccuFab's and re-install with silicone?
2. Install the latest Ford solution under the Customer Satisfaction program?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Kingman,
I am quite confident the Accufab bolts could be cleaned and reused without any difficulty and the six outer cup bolts can be reused as well. I am a bit puzzled however that you say the "bolts" are leaking.(?)

When I watched the Ford kit being installed in my car the mechanic applied a bead of some sealer (with a perscribed install in so many minutes note) around the perimeter of the new washer before install. Then the two new bolts were torqued. I presume the washer perimiter was the annulus most susceptible to leaking transaxle oil if a perfect metal-to-metal seal was not achieved. Thus the sealer would plug any small misfits preventing any oil coming out. No sealer was applied to the two-bolt threads nor would I recommend using any silicone on the threads. Install exactly per Ford recommendations.

If you want you might put a small amount of silicone under the head of the bolt such that sealing with the washer face might be better, but I would not apply to the threads and would use only a very small amount.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Kingman, I am sure Indy has a good way of doing it. My Ford Dealer is tops, I did not change the original bolts until the new Ford replacements came out. None of my bolts were broken ot leaking. I stuck with Ford for probably the same perdicament you are in now. Not sanctioned replacements that fail, what to do next? I would bite the bullet and put in the accepted Ford replacement package. Then if it ever fails you will have a way out with Ford.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There was an earlier TSB, posted here on the Forum somewhere, about leaking splines. A sealnt was applied to the splines to stop the little leaks. You'd have to do a search to find it here, maybe even in the archives. I remember several people had their half-shaft bolts replaced without failure using this TSB as the vehicle. I think you should be good with the Accufab bolts and a little sealant on the splines as per the older TSB.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Thank you for your reply's gentlemen. :thumbsup

I was also fortunate enough to hear from Shadowman and John @ AccuFab. They both shared, as well as Stillen, that I should stay with the current AccuFab bolts, have them cleaned and resealed with Ultimate Black.

John thought that possibly they weren't properly torqued the first time.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Good luck with the bolt fix Kingman. Looking forward to hearing about your clutch experiences, with the Stillen plate kit.

jrader1

GT Owner
Aug 16, 2006
Half Shaft bolts and washers

Just wanted to let people who had their halfshaft bolts replaced on their own prior to the recall that the latestest washers are a huge difference and much much thicker. I had the bolts replaced over a year ago on both my GTs after reading about the failures on the forum to be safe. When I got my recall notices, Ford reimbursed me for the cost. Today when I took the Heritage in for an oil change, my mechanic showed me the latest kit and how thick the washers are and I am now scheduled to have him change everything out again. Love the GTs to much not to have them updated and the service consultant made it sound as if it would be covered under the recall.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Did you replace 'em with the Accufabs back then?

If so, replacing the Accufabs with Ford's new big washer kit is of questional need. 'Just amounts to whether you'd 'feel better' having the Ford kit installed. There's never been a failure reported with the Accufabs. (And I doubt you'd have an "issue" down the road warranty wise because the 'Fabs were left in place.)

jrader1

GT Owner
Aug 16, 2006
Had the dealer replace them with their kit not Accufabs. Wanted to hold them responsible for what ever happened.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Had the dealer replace them with their kit not Accufabs. Wanted to hold them responsible for what ever happened.

Aaaaaaah! Then BY ALL MEANS get the new kit installed!!!! No ifs, ands, or buts!

GTeddy

GT Owner
Nov 4, 2006
Recall

I have not done anything about the recall yet for my 06 which has less than 1,000 miles. I live in north / central NJ and to date have not needed a dealer - can anyone recomend a dealer in my area who knows what they are doing in terms of the recall and stuff like oil changes? I would'nt let the guy I bought the car from (his single allocation) wash the windows....