Cordless drill for wheel changes?

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Looking into getting a cordless impact wrench or driver for wheel changes in a hurry at the track. I know some of the larger impact wrenches can do the job but has anyone used smaller impact drivers for wheel changes? I'm thinking of getting the impact driver instead because they can be found as part of a combo kit easily while the more auto repair oriented impact wrench will have to be purchased standalone.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The Dewalt, snap on, MAC, 1/2" drive or what ever, all work well. I personally use it to only to take off. I always put the lugs on by hand to minimize thread stress, and then torque by hand (no impact).

Looking into getting a cordless impact wrench or driver for wheel changes in a hurry at the track. I know some of the larger impact wrenches can do the job but has anyone used smaller impact drivers for wheel changes? I'm thinking of getting the impact driver instead because they can be found as part of a combo kit easily while the more auto repair oriented impact wrench will have to be purchased standalone.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Bruce - the cordless impacts have certainly become very viable in the past few years and more convenient to use than air. In fact, if you go to a NASCAR race, all of the behind the wall preparation, the teams are using cordless impacts because of their added convenience (no dragging air lines, etc.)

If you had to have something now, you can go to OSH as I believe they stock the 1/2" Dewalt impact. I recently did a lot of research as my old cordless tools were almost 6 years old and my batteries (NiCd) were all dead. As such, I wanted to re-invest in newer technology and select what I believe were the best tools out there.

I chose to go with the Milwaukee brand. I recently bought the Milwaukee combo set from Home Depot and then I added a 1/2" impact (450 lb-ft capability) by ordering through Amazon.

Here's the combo set I got: http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2691-24-Reciprocating-Circular-Worklight/dp/B001FA17Z6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1260546852&sr=8-8

(I bought it about 2 weeks ago from Home Depot for $399 but I don't see it there anymore.)

Finally, and more to your question, here's the Milwaukee impact:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=2662-22&CategoryName=SC:+M18+Cordless+System

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I just use a breaker bar to get them loose and a standard cordless drill to do the easy spin off ..
Spin back on with a high torque setting on the drill and final torque with a torque wrench.
I feel safe this way and less chance of thread damage.. the cordless drills are much lighter to handle as well.. Just another option....:biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Good choice Fastcat!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Good choice Fastcat!

Hey Thanks !! And it fit my budget since I already had both...:biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
He has to protect his pretty, kitty hands.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Bruce - the cordless impacts have certainly become very viable in the past few years and more convenient to use than air. In fact, if you go to a NASCAR race, all of the behind the wall preparation, the teams are using cordless impacts because of their added convenience (no dragging air lines, etc.)

If you had to have something now, you can go to OSH as I believe they stock the 1/2" Dewalt impact. I recently did a lot of research as my old cordless tools were almost 6 years old and my batteries (NiCd) were all dead. As such, I wanted to re-invest in newer technology and select what I believe were the best tools out there.

I chose to go with the Milwaukee brand. I recently bought the Milwaukee combo set from Home Depot and then I added a 1/2" impact (450 lb-ft capability) by ordering through Amazon.

Here's the combo set I got: http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2691-24-Reciprocating-Circular-Worklight/dp/B001FA17Z6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1260546852&sr=8-8

(I bought it about 2 weeks ago from Home Depot for $399 but I don't see it there anymore.)

Finally, and more to your question, here's the Milwaukee impact:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=2662-22&CategoryName=SC:+M18+Cordless+System

Thanks Kendall for the tip and I've been researching for Li-Ion tools for quite some time and Milwaukee and Makita are on the top of my list. Just waiting to see which combo kit will go on sale after Christmas.