Color and value in todays market

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Shelby says: <<further, how you also come up with the statement that tungsten is low on the scale is beyond me. It's always done VERY well for me :)

Maybe you are right on this one, I imagine that they are fairly close. Striped silver and striped yellow cars are not for sale nearly as often as striped tungsten. Striped silvers seem to move a bit quicker than the striped tungstens; but maybe the selling price is a little lower....sounds good if you say that's how it is....:cheers

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Believe what I tell you or believe what happened.

I don't really see how you can disagree with the guy that's physically sold 200 of the cars :lol I mean, you can disagree, but his assessment is rooted in numbers, not opinion. When he says "color X brings X dollars and color y brings y dollars" those are actual sales figures. We were talking about it today, and he gave me the number in thousands of dollars that a white car brings over a red for him, and it's not insignificant. If he wants to disclose it, that's up to him, apparently at his own peril :lol I know he's a used car salesman, but one thing Shelby is not is a b.s-er. He never has goofy prices, never deviates from reality, and generally treats the buying and selling of the cars realistically. I even bought a red car from him!

Gentlemen,

I participate in a couple of aviation Forums. I see pilots get very attached to their own aerodynamic theorys. So attached, that when that theory is tested in the field and proven false, they unhesitatingly argue that the test results are wrong because they believe the theory is so sound. This is nuts. No one has to like reality, but that doesn't change the reality revealed by hard test data. None of us have sold anywhere near the number of Ford GTs that Shelby has sold. Disputing Shelby about which colors bring higher prices makes as much sense as a weekend autocrosser arguing with Michael Schumacher about how to drive a Formula One car.

Chip

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Sorry, but you are wrong on this Chris. Coming from someone that does this day in and day out and have sold many of every color GT available, White brings more than Red. PERIOD. I have hard facts. I dont have problems selling a red car, so please do not misread my statement, but White will definatly bring more than a Red GT. Red is and has always been the cheapest selling GT due to the production numbers. Will it change over time? Who knows..., but I can tell you from hard facts that this list below is pretty accurate.
Color in order of CARS RETAIL VALUE:
1. HERITAGE
2. BLACK- NO STRIPE
3. BLACK w/ STRIPES
4. MIDNIGHT BLUE
5. TUNGSTEN
6. QUICK SILVER
7. YELLOW
8. WHITE
9. RED

Now, everyone can argue all they like. Simple fact is, the numbers above are based on near 300 Ford GTs that I have sold, not including hundreds more that I have followed the sale of very closely. This is my day Job and I follow it more closely than anyone I know. Now, I personally like the Ford GT in every color it was produced in and I think Ford did a GREAT job in picking colors. Obviously Red is popular, but this statement is in regards to value. The list above is as close as its gonna get for now.
All you guys with Red cars...... We still love ya! :thumbsup

thanks for the info :thumbsup

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Striped silver and striped yellow cars are not for sale nearly as often as striped tungsten. Striped silvers seem to move a bit quicker than the striped tungstens; but maybe the selling price is a little lower....sounds good if you say that's how it is....:cheers

Reason for that is because there is less than half the amount of silver and yellow cars than there are tungsten cars. Every Yellow car I have had has taken me longer to sell than almost any other color. Yellow is a LOVE IT, HATE IT color. To the right person, it will briing the money, but you gotta find that guy. Not very often do you find a guy that is on the fence about the color. They typically either love it or hate it. I for one really like it, but thats irrelivant as I am only one person. Now, silver is a totally different beast than Yellow. Alot of people are UNSURE of how they fill about the silver color. Some say its to subtle, and does not do the car justice, then you have people that say the exact opposite. I agree that most of the silver cars I see come on the market, when priced within reason, sale rather quickly. I could go on for days about why this color and that color does more than the other color, etc.
Simple answer to the question, from the factual data I have is the colors bring prices from High to low in this order 90% of the time:

1. Heritage
2. Black No-Stripe
3. Black with Stripes
4. Midnight Blue
5. Tungsten
6. Quick Silver
7. Yellow
8. White
9. Red

As for no stripe cars, I dont feel I have sold ENOUGH of any other no stripe besides BLACK to give a 100% accurate answer, but here is my personal opinion from what I have experienced:

NO STRIPERS
1. Black (Black is HANDS DOWN the best selling no stripe color
2. Blue
3. Tungsten
4. Silver
5. Yellow
6. White
6. Red

** PLEASE NOTE THAT WHITE AND RED ARE BOTH LABELED #6 AS I FEEL THEY ARE A TIE **

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
if i ever put my black GT up for sale i am gonna take the silver stripes off of it, lol......:lol

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
My LOVE IT yellow GT, which arrived via Shelby. :thumbsup

Attachments

• IMG_2038.jpg
    IMG_2038.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 244
  • nose.jpg
    nose.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 239
  • hirez 2k-GT.jpg
    hirez 2k-GT.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 244

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Donnys Yellow Heritage STYLE car is hard to beat. Looks VERY good in person! :)

Waxy

Feb 11, 2010
Calgary, AB, Canada
Great discussion, just wanted to say thanks to all for putting this info out there.

This forum is awesome!

Waxy

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx

+ 1 I sure like it

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California

Looks fantasic in a photo.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Well, while you can buy a Red FGT in general for less then the others (everything being equal) fact is IMHO the FGT looks the best in RED. They made more RED FGTs for a reason. Popularity. I wouldn't do it different as far as picking a color even knowing the other colors are worth a little more (Heritage depending on condition and color a fair amount more).

Red was the promotional color for the FGT in the video "Its the one" when the car was first advertised on T.V. during the Superbowl. That video is a FGT classic. The Top Gear tests all use a RED FGT (except for one in which a Tungsten appears with a GTX). The RED on the FGT (Mark IV red) commemorates the 1967 win at LeMans by Dan Gurney and AJ Foyt in a Red Mark IV where not only did they win in class but won overall and set a new track record with an average speed of over 135 mph!

RED is the classic sports car color and befits the ultimate performance car..the FGT.

I love the FGTs in all colors and wish I could have one of each. But if I were to pick one based on emotion and what I love its RED all day long. In fact, I was on my way to buy a white one and when I arrived at the dealer I saw my red one sitting in the showroom. I'm not normally a red person but it blew me away!!!:eek
My next favorite now would be YELLOW with black stirpes. Next white with stripes.

Things may change with time and RED may become the most desirable. Who knows. As far as value the way I look at it RED is the color to buy as it has the most upside potential with a lower buy in price now as I think in years to come color will not be as important...it will be mileage and condition. Interestingly upgrades seem to add value to these cars if done by the right people like Shadowman, The GTGuys etc...as long as you have your original parts.

Also, you guys are totally ignoring the fact RED is the fastest color too!:banana:thumbsup

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Man, that yellow does look good. I don't how anyone could argue with Shelby with his experience in the GT market. That said, I don't mind where I place on that list. My red no stripe is one of the nicest looking cars on the face of this earth. In my humble opinion, the no stripe cars (red at least) are very clean looking autos. Twenty years from now if it happens to roll across the block at Barrett's I'll take my chances that red will stand the test of time as good if not better than any other color out there :wink

GTP40.jpg

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You put your decal on backwards:tongue

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I love a FORD GT in any color

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Don't forget BLU.......

Just a reminder that BLU is OH so sweet............GO BLU

Attachments

• CIMG0779.jpg
    CIMG0779.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 232

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You put your decal on backwards:tongue
Doh!

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
Hmmm I kind of think the black might be the ticket....:)

Attachments

• GT- rear side.jpg
    GT- rear side.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 214
H

HHGT

How come no one said anything about the rarity and potential value of the White/Orange car???

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Because its priceless

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
..I think in years to come color will not be as important...it will be mileage and condition..

This I agree on. It makes a bigger deal now because there are still low-ish mileage cars around for people to choose from. 20 years from now, people won't care nearly as much because they'll just be looking for a good condition Ford GT, not a low-mileage, no-stripe black Ford GT with a mac delete and blah blah blah. In any case, there are so many of these things that I don't think they'll ever carry a huge price tag.

Because its priceless

:lol