Clutch smell 11k miles

AZChris

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
Hi guys,

Have not posted in ages. Figured this might be a good place for this one. My first clutch went out at about 5k miles. Now on this second one Im at 11k miles and Im starting to get a smell from it sometimes and the gears stick a bit when I try to shift. Not all the time, but it is happening a little.

Is the clutch going out? You guys having the same issues with yours? I just dont want to have to take it in right now and get a new one as Ford said they will not warranty another and that is $6k. Pretty annoying when the warranty says 36k miles.

Any info appreciated. TY!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I've got 10,500 hard miles on my pulley and tune car.. original clutch no slippage or issues

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
jesus, something weird is going on. are you whippled or TT?

my stock clutch had 12k miles and i abused the piss out of my car and it looked when when we took it out a couple months ago

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
> 25.000 miles - - - no clutch issues.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Sure your in 1st gear and not 3rd?

Not quite as many as my brother above, 21,000 miles with no clutch issues. Recently pulled it down to replace the rear main oil seal and the clutch assembly looked fine. Milage includes both road course and quarter mile runs every now and then.

Pete S.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
clutch life

I abuse my clutch constantly. I slip it & shouldn't. Maybe it's my motorcycle mind set. No clutch lives long with me. I squeezed around 5K miles out of my first clutch. To me clutchs are like tires & brake pads. I just plan to replace them frequently.

Ed

PS Mousecatcher - I didn't drive your Carrera GT the way I drive my FGT in case you were wondering!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I abuse my clutch constantly. I slip it & shouldn't. Maybe it's my motorcycle mind set. No clutch lives long with me. I squeezed around 5K miles out of my first clutch. To me clutchs are like tires & brake pads. I just plan to replace them frequently.

Ed

PS Mousecatcher - I didn't drive your Carrera GT the way I drive my FGT in case you were wondering!

Those clutches cost more then 25K! The FGT clutch is very inexpensive in comparison

Last edited:

Jones

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2007
Orange County, CA
... To me clutchs are like tires & brake pads. I just plan to replace them frequently....

That may apply to many more things than Ed might divulge.:biggrin

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ed's secrets

You know me Jones!

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
That may apply to many more things than Ed might divulge.:biggrin

Some things cost much, much, more to replace than the initial "purchase" price! For those things, we usually have one one in the USA, I would advise to treat with care, as to make it will last a lifetime.

Jones

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2007
Orange County, CA
You know me Jones!

Ed

Limo :cool

**sorry for the tangent.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
AZ, are you sure you're not doing some starts in third?

AZChris

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
HAHA ya no starts in third, well heck something must be wrong. Im not going to that Ford dealer again thats for sure. I thought for sure I could beat the heck out of it too like the rest of you guys. Didnt think it was just bad luck =/

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
11k miles stock/tune then pullied (last 2k pullied)... Whipple now at 14,000 with no problems...

knock on wood!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Is anybody else getting time behind the wheel of your car? family/valet/wife

Mine started to get grabby and had a smell when I first started the motor. I knew I hadn't done anything inappropriate. Turned out my brother made 4 or 5 3rd gear starts... oui!

AZChris

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
It is just me driving it, no one else. I guess I am just hard on it and ya it has the Accufab kit on it.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Whats your clutch fluid look like. If your clutch is running hot it should show something.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Definitely something weird. I've got about 15k on the car and most of it was with the pulley/tune and the last 4k or so was twin turbo, and I think I replaced it at 11 or 12. But I've done a significant number of powershifts, track days, etc.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
wet or dry clutch

Paul B - don't we have a dry clutch?

Ed

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Change the fluid to a higher boiling point .I put in super blue and have had no problem on the street or track .14kon my gal