blackjadeboss

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2012
Absolutely!

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
I have called four auto stores near me and none of them carry/stock the oil 5W-50 oil ...they do have a "Fram" filter but not the oil.

Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Check with your Ford dealer if you want Motocraft oil.

I use Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 which is readily available from most automotive supply stores and even Amazon. Would suggest a Motorcraft or the identical Mann filter, not the Fram.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I use Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 which is readily available from most automotive supply stores and even Amazon. Would suggest a Motorcraft or the identical Mann filter, not the Fram.

I also converted. To much data shows Rotella holds up better and goes for $23 per gallon

Re filter: if they don't have a Purolator or known good brand - go with the Mann as Ford just re boxed the Mann filter for the first couple of years.

Fram is known for lack of Quality and oil filter breakdown. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I

How long with MoTo keep this 3rd blend as the original 5w50 recommended for the Fgt is long gone.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
How long with MoTo keep this 3rd blend as the original 5w50 recommended for the Fgt is long gone.

Would you explain this please?

Has any failure been attributed to the current Motorcraft 5W-50?

I don't understand the video either. Should I get Fram filters as targets? Seems expensive vs. paper.

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Simple Gary,

Cars first came out with "A" spec for the FGT and gold top bottles I believe. Same time a black top bottle "B" spec was released for the GT500. First step, A was discontinued ~6 yrs ago, we all ran the B, black top. Now as Beach posted the B has been changed....

To JC thrones position if you go to SVTforum there is endless data that shows the viscosity and breakdown point of all the oils. Based on this I choose Rotella over MoTo.

To date since the car was new (and for the last 8 oil changes) I will also claim I never had a problem with MoTo but I don't like the degrading or re-rating and I have also chosen to run Rotella in the stroked Mach 1, 65 vette w ZDDP additive and the 73 Eldo as other "experts" for the other cars the majority of them also run Rotella

Re Fram filter, do your own research but I will never use a Fram OIL filter! Air, gas - OK but never oil due to inferior quality and I'm sure they would make a great "re-usable" skeet target

Last edited:

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
OK, Advance auto has the Rotella T6 5w-40 oil and a Purolator L25247 filter I'm going to pick it up tonight is this good? Pick up 10 gallons correct?

Also the store owner didn't like when I told him I would use the Fram filter for skeet shooting! He was actually upset I think.

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Mike I understand your frustration.

Cars first came out with "A" spec for the FGT and gold top bottles I believe. Same time a black top bottle "B" spec was released for the GT500. First step, A was discontinued ~6 yrs ago, we all ran the B, black top. Now as Beach posted the B has been changed....

Don’t blame Ford for this one. It was the EPA’s doing by removing the ZDDP so to “reduce” catalytic converter fowling. Yea… Ford engineering was surprised as well and reran several engine tests to make sure the “B” version without the ZDDP was still acceptable for our engine’s durability. Original oil was black top bottle (WSS-M2C931-A) while the second release for both the GT and GT500 was gold cap (WSS-M2C931-B).

…but I don't like the degrading or re-rating and I have also chosen to run Rotella in the stroked Mach 1, 65 vette w ZDDP additive and the 73 Eldo as other "experts" for the other cars the majority of them also run Rotella.

Again Mike, this was mandated by the EPA. Our government at work for us. I don’t like it either. Do you run the ZDDP additive with the Rotella in the GT? I plan on continuing to use the Motorcraft oil whether “better” than others or not. My oil changes are usually dictated by time not mileage and rarely if ever get close to 3K miles per change, so is viscosity breakdown really a problem with this short interval. In my opinion, not really.

Also agree on your comments on Fram filters. I use the Mann/Motorcraft in the GT and do not use Fram oil filters in any vehicle I own.

What the heck is MoTo????:confused

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
pick up 10 gallons correct?

really?????

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
really?????

Aah ha OK how about 10 quarts!

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Sorry but I'm just checking I noticed two of the bottles I have one says "heavy duty engine oil" and the other says " heavy duty Diesel engine oil" all other description is identical
photo(12).JPG

Cobraguy

GT Owner
The debate will continue over which is the "best" lube......I have been using Rotella for decades in all of my cars, trucks, toys and I purchase several hundred barrels of it per year for use in all of my heavy equipment fleet units. We have all of our lube products tested at regular intervals for signs of premature wear or failure and after periodically comparing other "better" products head to head we always stick with the Rotella.
We have not had a diesel or gasoline engine run to failure in years ...in fact we regularly far exceed the manufacturers anticipated component lifespans and I am sure that a lot of my gas powered pickups are subject to extreme use and abuse. Although this positive experience may not prove that the Rotella product is the best for my fgt....I feel safe taking the gamble.
Just my 2 cents.......

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The bottles with the words 'Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil' are the newer bottles. Same oil in either. They added the word Diesel to the package to get around the EPA mandate to lower quantities of ZDDP in engine oils. The mandate does not apply to oils labeled for use in diesel engines as they still require it.

Its a fine oil and rated for Gas and Diesel engines. Oil analysis have consistently shown the FGT engines really likes this stuff. It holds up for the full life of the oil change interval without viscosity breakdown and the wear metals are extremely low in the samples indicating very low wear. Oil analysis of the Motorcraft product currently available show otherwise.

Its even rated JASO MA2 for use in wet clutch motorcycles, a very demanding application.

And, just FYI, I get it delivered by 2nd day 'air' from Amazon for $21 a gal. (They actually ship ground from a warehouse here in Houston)

Last edited:

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
The only thing stopping me from using it is the 5W-40 rating vs 5W-50 for the Motorcraft oil. I just add the ZDDP additive that you can also get on Amazon. I am hoping that brings the new oil up to the old oil specs. Since it is hot most of the time in Florida the 50 rating makes me feel better.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The 5W50 motorcraft is THINNER than the 5W40 Rotella in less than 1000 miles. Its down to a 30wt by 2000. This is why many of us will not use the newer Motorcraft. Its only a 5W50 when new in the bottle, not in use. Of course if you don't drive the car, it does not matter much.

RedLine makes a great real 5W50 that does not break down, turns out its too thick for the DOHC motors.

Last edited:

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I too switched to Rotella after poor results with the Moto. Much better results with the T6 and I'll be sticking with it.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I don't even get a 1000 miles on an oil change in the GT. I move it to the Lexus and finish it off.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't even get a 1000 miles on an oil change in the GT. I move it to the Lexus and finish it off.

EP never reached 1000 miles on any of his cars.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
JC,

Thank you for your analytical info on the Rotella oil. I just order 5 gallons from Amazon. I guess that I got lazy on doing my yearly oil analysis! Jay

The 5W50 motorcraft is THINNER than the 5W40 Rotella in less than 1000 miles. Its down to a 30wt by 2000. This is why many of us will not use the newer Motorcraft. Its only a 5W50 when new in the bottle, not in use. Of course if you don't drive the car, it does not matter much.

RedLine makes a great real 5W50 that does not break down, turns out its too thick for the DOHC motors.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't think I've seen the Joe Gibbs product mentioned anywhere. Does anyone have experience with this?

04106.jpg

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/fr50-5w-50-synthetichtml/