Carroll Hall Shelby, Dies today at age 89

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Carroll Shelby passes away

I just got the email. Here is the press release

Dallas – May 11, 2012 – Carroll Shelby International, Inc., (OTC: CSBI.PK) announced today that Carroll Hall Shelby, a man whose vision for performance transformed the automobile industry, has died at age 89. Mr. Shelby passed away yesterday at Baylor Hospital in Dallas. The cause of death was not disclosed.

Born on Jan. 11, 1923, Carroll Shelby was one of America’s greatest success stories. Championship-winning racecar driver, “flying sergeant” wartime pilot, philanthropist, entrepreneur, car manufacturer and racing team owner, he embodied the ingenuity, tenacity and grit to overcome any obstacle. He is perhaps the only person to have worked at a visible level with all three major American automobile manufacturers.

Carroll Shelby founded Carroll Shelby International, a publicly held corporation involved in many industries. His licensing arm has agreements with industry giants, such as Mattel, Sony, Ford Motor Company and Electronic Arts. His car company, Shelby American, has a thriving parts business as well as a line of muscle cars including the Shelby GT500 Super Snake, Shelby GT350 and Shelby GTS. The Las Vegas-based company also manufactures a limited number of the 1960s Shelby 289 “street,” 289 FIA, 427 S/C and Daytona Coupe Cobras.

Shelby considered his greatest achievement to be the establishment of the Carroll Shelby Foundation™. Created in 1992 while Shelby was waiting for a heart transplant, the charity is dedicated to providing medical assistance for those in need, including children, educational opportunities for young people through automotive and other training programs and benefitting the Carroll Shelby Automotive Foundation.

Shelby remained active in the management of each of his companies and the Foundation until his death, even though he endured both heart and kidney transplants in the last two decades of his life.

“We are all deeply saddened, and feel a tremendous sense of loss for Carroll’s family, ourselves and the entire automotive industry,” said Joe Conway, president of Carroll Shelby International, Inc. and board member. “There has been no one like Carroll Shelby and never will be. However, we promised Carroll we would carry on, and he put the team, the products and the vision in place to do just that.”

Shelby is survived by his three children Patrick, Michael and Sharon, his sister Anne Shelby Ellison of Fort Worth and his wife Cleo. Funeral plans are not currently available. Donations to the Carroll Shelby Foundation are encouraged in lieu of flowers. Information about the Carroll Shelby Foundation is available at www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org.

About Shelby American, Inc.

Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby American manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. Now a subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International, Inc., the company manufactures authentic continuation Cobras, including the 427 S/C, 289 FIA and 289 street car component vehicles. The company offers the GT350, GT500 Super Snake and GTS post-title packages for the current generation Ford Mustang. For more information, visit www.shelbyamerican.com.

About Carroll Shelby Licensing

Automotive manufacturer and entrepreneur Carroll Shelby is one of the most famous and successful high performance visionaries in the world, and he has spent the last 50 years establishing and protecting his name, trademarks and car design rights. He founded Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc., which has the exclusive right to license the Shelby trademarks and vehicle design rights for some of the most famous muscle cars and high-performance vehicles. CSL also holds trademark rights for Shelby-branded apparel, accessories and collectibles. For more information about the company or licensing opportunities, call (310) 914-1843, or fax (310) 538-8189 or write to Carroll Shelby Licensing, Inc., 19021 S Figueroa St., Gardena, CA, 90248, or visit www.carrollshelby.com, www.shelbylicensing.com or www.carrollshelbyinternational.com.

About The Carroll Shelby Foundation

The Carroll Shelby Foundation was created by legendary racer and automotive manufacturer Carroll Shelby. Headquartered in Gardena, Calif., the Foundation is dedicated to providing medical assistance for those in need, including children, educational opportunities for young people through automotive and other training programs and benefitting the Shelby Automotive Foundation. For more information visit CarrollShelbyFoundation.org.

Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995

This release may contain forward-looking statements involving risks and uncertainties that may cause actual future events or results to differ materially and adversely from those described in the forward-looking statements. CSI disclaims any obligation to revise or update any forward- looking statement that may be made from time to time by or on its behalf.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Carrol Shelby is gone...

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-legend-carroll-shelby-father-of-cobra-dies/1

'Truly the end of an era.

May he R.I.P.

Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
A man that had so much to do with Ford history has left us today...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/05/auto-legend-carroll-shelby-father-of-cobra-dies/1?AID=4992781&PID=4178582&SID=1isactbwxlnqx

We have all lost something today.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Indeed.
What an incredible example of an American entrepreneur and philanthropist. To say he was a legend seems too simplistic for Mr. Shelby.
We all need to go out and take a romp in our GTs and other Ford performance cars this weekend.
Prayers go out to his family and close friends.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Very sad, just got news from a fellow Shelby owner friend, was a pleasure to have met him, and shake his hand because of this forum. May they have a great time whan he and Bony catch up.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
A Pure Legend.

Attachments

• XXX-carroll-shelby003-pg-horizontal.jpg
    XXX-carroll-shelby003-pg-horizontal.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 513
  • 1963-pg-horizontal.jpg
    1963-pg-horizontal.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
Carroll Shelby has passed away

Details to follow. Rest in peace.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
A lifetime of accomplishments. RIP

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
What a tremendous loss to all. He passed away last night while with his family in Dallas, Texas. I was notified last night, and was asked to keep it to myself until its release. He was a close friend to my family for many years. My ford GT was the last GT he signed on the interior at Keels & Wheels some 4 years ago. We have all lost a great Automobile Man. Those of us who were at Rally 2 in Newport Beach at the Peterson museum and had our picture taken with him were very fortunate. He was in his element with his friends from the GT Forum, and he loved his friends very much. My heart is heavy but I know he is in a better place with his old raceing buddys including Daniel . May he rest in peace.

Attachments

• 2007 GT Forum Rally 8-1-07 040.jpg
    2007 GT Forum Rally 8-1-07 040.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 472

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
A one of a kind true American legend.

He will be missed.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
A legend has passed on. I had the privilege of meeting him a number of times and got to spend an afternoon at his ranch in E Tx back in 2002. The thing that was amazing to me was his memory for people and events. I had met him once in 1998 when I was at a SCAT picnic and then saw him again at Lime Rock in 2000 and he remembered my name! (Dr. Frank, no remarks about anything I did to cause him to remember). He surely left a legacy with respect to racing, race cars, and even Chili....not many know he hosted the first ever chili cookoff and had his own brand of chili mix.
CarrollMACMe02.jpg

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
This is very sad news. A true automotive hero who left behind many legends. RIP.

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
An Icon, Godspeed.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
What a guy. I'm going to go out to the garage and drive my Shelby. RIP

Chip

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
He was really the only person I have ever thought of as a personal hero. He took every risk he ever faced like Geronimo and feared no other man alive. I think we all knew this day was coming but for some reason, I thought he might just live forever. Sincerest condolences for those who were close to The Texas Gambler.

Last edited:

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Yep, Going to get the GT out this afternoon for a spin

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
here is a pic of him at the 50th anniversary of VIR (from USA Today) which he won the inagurral race in a Maserrati 450 just like in the pic...

RIP Carroll

shelby-maserati.jpg

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
A legend and an Icon passes. God speed Mr. Shelby.. It was an honor to meet you !!

Attachments

• BDS & CS 2.jpg
    BDS & CS 2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 276

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
A truly nice person that did Great things. He will be missed.

R.I.P. Mr. Shelby.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
RIP

I definitely consider it a great honor that because of this website I had the chance to meet and talk with Carroll a number of times. He was an automotive legend, and is our Enzo. What a life! His legacy will carry on.