Car Carrier / Shipping FAQ

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
Car Carrier / Transport

I can highly recomend RWB Express as a high quality, personal touch carrier company. When I needed to get my GT from Lubbock, Texas to Southern California I called my good friends at Shelby American and was told they use this carrier to transport Cobras and other cars all over the states. It's a husband and wife team with two rigs and plenty of experience!!!
Bob Beverly (704) 907-7967 and his wife Deborah Moose (704) 907-2124. Also a couple of great people!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
who does Ford use?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I was told that Reliable was used by Ford by a dealer.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Anyone used SHOWCAR TRANSPORT?

RickM

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2005
Boise, ID
I ended up using Hog Haulers (www.hoghaulers.com).
A couple people recommended them.
They worked out great. Very professional (18-wheeler) enclosed transport.
Price was also reasonable. :thumbsup
They picked up & delivered within a couple days of their original target.
They operate out of Oregon...So good choice for transports to/from the NW.

-RickM

GaryA

Jan 24, 2006
Almond Exotic Transports

I hope you don't mind me posting this here, but I saw my name mentioned here and I thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Gary Almond and my company is Almond Exotic Transports. I've recently transported a number of Ford GTs and found out about this site through other forum members.

If you go to my website, ( Almond Exotic Transports ) you can see pictures of a sampling of cars I've transported and read comments from a few of my customers.

I got started doing this after I bought a trailer to haul my 850 HP Viper to the track. Friends started asking me to transport cars for them and by word of mouth one thing led to another and here I am! I've transported cars of all types from exotics to classics. My trailer is set up to handle the special needs of low, wide, and expensive cars.

My prices are reasonable (in line with the larger carriers) even though I transport one car at a time.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions at 240-994-1343.

Thanks!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Getting back to RickM's original question, has anyone done their own transporting of a GT on a rental equip trailer? Will the car fit lenght and width wise on these trailers? Looking for someone who has actually done this not just guesses. Thanks!

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
shipping to Germany

GT Guys,

the time will come soon that I have done my mods, tested @ 'seatrialed' them to avoid a stupid brakedown, and then will ship the beast to Crazy Horse country (Italy I mean) via Bremerhafen/Germany from Eastcoast (FtLauderdale or higher, if better)..
Anybody knows who si a good transporter? Should I go airfreight or rather ship it , and if shipped in container, open, wrapped, with dehumidifiers inside and around electronics etc.
DBK, how does Ford ship their 101 to Europe, generally, Neillda how did you bring yours over ?

This is really a bit bigger problem and risk than truck transport, so I do need your advice, buddies !

Stefan

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
centerpunch said:
I sold a Porsche 904 to a guy in Germany ten years ago, and the difference between air and sea was not that much, I think he used Lufthansa and flew it out of Chicago (I'm in Cincinnati).

Just found this on google:
http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/shipping/chapter/

centerpunch,

you are the best ! Great link, thank you very much !
...I love the forum and it's active members. Speaks for the car having attracted prevalently fine buyers..

stefan

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
centerpunch said:
I sold a Porsche 904 to a guy in Germany ten years ago, and the difference between air and sea was not that much, I think he used Lufthansa and flew it out of Chicago (I'm in Cincinnati).

Just found this on google:
http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/shipping/chapter/

Very interesting link. Provactive idea to travel with your car. Never thought about it. I have shipped cars back to the states in 20' sea containers without an issue. However, a major cavit is to have a seperate marine insurance policy, as the laws at sea translate to whatever the captain decides.

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Centerpunch - that's great info!

I've always fancied doing a transatlantic crossing on a liner so this would really be a good excuse - and it'll kill two birds with one stone.

Cool.

When is Le Mans?

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
June 17th/18th...

see you there !

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
Carriers

I have used Horseless Carriage Carriers in the past with good results. I just booked them to ship my GT from TX to NJ. 1 week pickup! $1,400, proper enclosed trailer. http://www.horselesscarriage.com/

I have also used Intercity in the past and can vouch for them. Took a little longer than I would have liked, a series of delays in pickup but once underway all was smooth.
http://www.intercitylines.com/Default.cfm?code=bar

I would not Recomend Dependable Auto Shippers as I don't agree with their concept of "Enclosed Transport" It was more like a tarp that partially came off an open trailer. A friend used them & the cars were muddy and covered with small rocks! Cheap though, $600 ish NV - NJ
http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

Passport/FedEx Seems good, the good news is they are the recommended line of RM auctions, the bad news is they are the recommended line of RM auctions. They are currently burried shipping cars from the auctions in Scottsdale and cant pick up until March!
http://passport.fedex.com/

Feb 14, 2006
I am in the auto transport business and have transported several Ford GT's. Below are just a few cars other then the Ford GT that I have transported:

1967 GT500E for display at West Palm Beach Barrett Jackson Shelby Display
2005 F430 Spyder
1967 427 Corvette Stingray
1969 Cadillac Convertible original 9,000 miles

I am a one man operation, so you are not dealing with some big company that doesn't know what is going on with your car. You have complete contact with me at all times, even though most transit times are only around 2 days from pick-up to delivery. I have cargo insurance that is at $200,000 currently and going to be $300,000 soon.

I use a single car enclosed car trailer that allows me to get from origin to destination quickly and without removing your vehicle from the trailer until I arrive at the delivery location. Also, there is no stacking so nothing to worry about dripping oil or such from the vehicles above. Or even the possibly lift giving out and crushing your new investment

I am also a car enthusiast not just a transporter, and actually have been to the Ford GT assembly plant (SSV). So I do treat each car as if it was my own.

Please feel free to PM me if you have a car that needs shipped. I currently only run pretty much east of the mississippi but that does include MN, IA, NE, KS, OK, & TX east of there. I am located in NE Ohio and will help anyone find a proper transporter even if I don't cover your area.

I do have references opon request.

Last edited:

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
From CT to cape cod mass

Has anyone used Bill Demoise trans,Should I check out the car just before they put it in?. I went to the show room to check it out.It looked good they told me the next day they were going to move it that was three weeks ago.
And its not going to be shiped for another three weeks.What do you think?

Feb 14, 2006
Yes, you should NEVER allow that car to be shipped without a condition report filled out before they load the car and when they deliver it. Once you receive the car, you need to go over it to be sure that nothing happened during transit and if there is a problem, DO NOT sign the condition report.

Also, when the condition report is filled out at the origin, be sure to receive a copy of the condtion report so that they can't say it was like that when they picked it up.

I have never heard of Bill Demoise Trans, where are they located out of? Where is the car being shipped from and to?

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Not sure of were they out of?

The dealer is a four hour ride from my house.Thats why i think i should be there to look it over before and see how its put on? I was going to buy from
a dealer before and swore this guy is real fussey he trans all there bentleys
and high end cars.Its from CT to Cape Cod Mass.His name is Bill,Demoise transport,
The dealer that swore he the best is Bentley of long island NY.THe car is comming from CT, about 350 miles from me.

Feb 14, 2006
Is it DEMOISE TRK-ING INC out of SC? That is the only company name that have Demoise in there name. If they are recommending them then they should be fine. But just make sure there is a condition report before its loaded and when it gets to you and that you get a copy of that paper when it gets there.

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
I use Almond Exotic Transport exclusively for my cars as he has proved to be the safest, most professional transporter I have ever encountered. Gary gives a real personal touch by never moving more than 2 cars at once and only one car when requested, something the big guys just can not do. I highly recommend Gary Almond at AET. :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
MAKE SURE THAT THEIR INSURANCE COVERS ANY DAMAGE IN TRANSIT. MANY CARRIERS DEPEND ON THE SHIPPERS INSURANCE TO COVER DAMAGE. When you buy a car from a dealer, the sale is know FOB, freight on board, meaning that you become the shipper and your insurance or the carrier's must cover and be responsible. Stick with companies that move high end collectable autos, they know how to load, strap and protect in transit. Nothing wrong with a one man show, as long as his refs check out. We have a guy in Fresno that is very good for short distances.