Car Carrier / Shipping FAQ

RickM

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2005
Boise, ID
GT Shipping Options

Has anyone transported a GT on standard rental equipment?
I'm guessing the GT is too low to get it on a standard Uhaul or Ryder trailer...
Let me know if someone out there has done it?

Otherwise any suggestions/recommendations on shipping/transportation companys - Reliable & Passport I'm aware of...Any comments or other recommendations?

Thanks.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
You should be able to get on a u haul trailer if you are very careful and supplement the ramps with carefully placed wood.

I have had nightmares with both Reliable and Passport which is now FEDEX.
I recommend Concours Auto Transport - Fred Koller and second distant choice would be Horseless. Fred delivered my GT from Ohio at a good price and on time.

JAM-GT

GT Owner
Sep 29, 2005
Transportation

I used Intercity Lines to get enclosed transportation from the Minneapolis area to Seattle. It took a couple of weeks for the pickup (which is what they estimated), but it arrived at my doorstep in perfect condition. It cost around $2200. Not cheap, but they take very good care of the cars. Even inside the enclosed trailer, the car was individually covered. If you read the reviews of transport companies on Epinions.com, most of the complaints about Intercity (and other companies for that matter) relate to delays in pickup. That wasn't my experience.

teflon

Nov 11, 2005
FWIW Intercity is Porsche's authorized transporter for the Carrera GT.

Greg A

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
the issues are always the same with most of these firms, getting them to pick up when they promise and deliver on the agreed upon date. I have had cars floating arround the usa for as much as a month. if that doesn't bother you go for it. Be aware in January every car hauler worth a salt will be delivering cars to the Scottsdale auctions and then after they are sold to the buyers all over the usa.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
alot of people use Gary Almond. He transports alot of Vipers, ferrari's ect...if you do a search on Gary Almond over at Viperclub.org you should find a way to reach him.

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
i agree with teflon, "intercity" seems to be the most reliable that i have used, and i have used most of them
bony has a good point about scottsdale, things will be nuts in january and beyond.
seems like 5 years ago, they would beg for your business, now that ebay has gotten off the ground, these shippers are like pirates, and you cannot depend on them as far as promised pickups, deliveries, and quoted prices, not to mention many new haulers using garbage equipment.
one other important note, many transporters that you might hire, will have a local "flatbed" pick up your vehicle and haul it to a central drop off area, until the transporter that you hired comes there to pick it up (very common and very dangerous)

sam
#1451 red/white

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Bony, what problems did you have with Passport? I used them about 9 years ago to transport a '62 XKE that I purchased in NJ. The car arrived here in TX without problems. Are they under new management?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
ByeEnzo said:
Bony, what problems did you have with Passport? I used them about 9 years ago to transport a '62 XKE that I purchased in NJ. The car arrived here in TX without problems. Are they under new management?

Fedex bought Passport in 2000.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ByeEnzo said:

Pass is out, his son who is a lawyer just tied into Keith Martin's SPORTS CAR MARKET magazine. I have never had any damage, just delays in pick up and delivery. I have found haulers that work for less and are more reliable. One or two day delays are not the end of the earth, but when it becomes two or three weeks over due, I am willing to state my feelings.

futuregt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 25, 2005
Who's recommended for shipping?

Who do you guys recommend for shipping? Going from Illinios to California
Thanks

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
ttt for futuregt

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
futuregt said:
Who do you guys recommend for shipping? Going from Illinios to California
Thanks

Future, .... welcome, where are you located in the Sunshine state?

futuregt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 25, 2005
I'm in Calabasas. Just bought an '05 Silver with no stripes! Need to get it from Illinios to CA.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Should not be a big problem, but move now and avoid the time block of cars going to and from Scottsdale to auction. You will love your new toy :biggrin

Birdman93

GT Ordered
Dec 17, 2005
Iowa
futureGT-

Contact Duffy's Collectible Cars in Cedar Rapids-they are a VERY reliable company, and since they are a 1-2 car operation, they will give you very personalized service. Tell them that Tony Poole from the Cedar Valley Thunderbird Club sent you!

http://www.duffys.com/Transport.asp

futuregt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 25, 2005
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to use Rich Lacey. He's well known on the Cobra sites. Very personalized service. Everyone's getting booked for Barrett-Jackson. Also, how do I change my profile from spectator to owner?
Thanks

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Lacey is fine, although more expensive than many. Did you check Concours, Fred Koller out of Vegas.

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
InterCity Transport does a great job, they have moved several cars for me

Someone mention Gary Almond and I highly recomend him as he transported a vehicle for me and this guy is one of the best. Go to his web site and give him a call and you will not be disappointed. www.almondexotictransports.com
He is a one man show but the service is incredible.