Cali smog and current smog atation software

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for providing the link to the drive cycle Kendall, I have passed it on to the owners of the failed cars since they're having a heck of a time trying to clear P1000 code even after driving their cars aimlessly to clear it without any luck !
Just to reiterate this will work with a factory tune after clearing obd2 code or disconnecting a battery. After driving for a while you can use the directed sequence to clear specific not ready conditions. After 400 miles last year I went back to factory tune and all hardware except for pulley and got a pass on one system not ready.

Note p1000 is a pending cel code for one or more system not ready. My sct box would not give more detail but i found the obd2 reader that did

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Thanks, I'll let them know as well- What a headache. You'd think once you go back to factory tune all should be GTG !

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks, I'll let them know as well- What a headache. You'd think once you go back to factory tune all should be GTG !

Just be aware that you may not be able to just return to the factory tune. Depending on what other hardware changes are done it may be necessary to restore some factory hardware as well. After I restored the factory tune my car would not run at all until I returned the original MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor). Then it would not clear EGR until I returned the original factory throttle body.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Seems there is a lot of confusion in this thread. I'll take a whack at summarizing with the hope of clearing things up:

Nice! Thank You......

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
OK, so we were successful to get all the monitors set in a little less that 60 miles of driving - and I'm pretty convinced that we can potentially do a little better (fewer miles) next time. Please note that the following advice/recommendations are intended to those owners who need to complete a CA SMOG check AND who have recently either 1) replaced their battery, or; 2) have used a scan tool recently to reset a CEL. Either of these will reset the ECU monitors in the GT and unfortunately, the monitors must be complete in order for you to pass a smog check.

If your battery is weak but not completely dead, your monitors may still be OK. Check them first because you can bypass this whole crappy process if your monitors have not been cleared. If possible, get your SMOG test before you replace the battery. If you need to change your battery first, use the GT's cigarette lighter to input 12v from an independent source while you change the battery. This will keep the ECU powered throughout the battery change process and you won't have to worry about the monitors - they'll remain set.

Anyway, if you're in the situation where the monitors have to be reset, here's my recommendations for doing it;

1. You will need to purchase and attach a "code reader" that will give you the status of the ECU's monitors. (I like the Autel AL519 because at $79 it is inexpensive and easy to use.) For the Autel and most other scanners the status of the monitors is NOT dynamic. You need to command the Autel to check the monitors (while you are driving or stopped at a traffic light, for example.) Once you observe the status of the monitors, you need to ESCape out of that mode and then be ready to query the monitor status again later on. If you leave the monitor status screen up, it will not update as the monitors are cleared.

2. If your car has an alternate program loaded into it, it is probably best to re-load the OEM software while you attempt to get the monitors to set. (Note that if you have the Ford Racing pulley/tune, you can LEAVE it installed.) Also, if you have a MAF scaler such as a MAFIA, you need to remove or bypass it so that your ECU gets an un-altered MAF count signal. You will be safe driving your car like this - with a smaller pulley but with the OEM ECU program, but DON'T use boost. Just drive moderately and avoid mid to high throttle levels and you'll be fine.

3. One final step before getting started here. Fill your gas tank such that you are between 3/4 and full. 7/8 is ideal, but don't worry too much if you fill it all the way up.

4. Start and drive the car normally. Take a cruise on the freeway and try to stay at a constant speed less than 65mph. No hills and no sharp turns. (We are trying to get EVAP to reset with this process and we don't want the fuel to slosh around.) After 10 or more minutes, exit the freeway and get yourself into city traffic. When it is safe, use the SCAN tool to check the monitors. Most monitors will set rather quickly although EVAP and CATalyst typically are most troublesome. As I mentioned in a previous post, EVAP needs an outside temperature differential to perform its test and in my experience, this always involves an overnight "sit" before resuming the test. My advice is to focus on the CATalyst monitor and with any luck the EVAP may reset too. (No worries if it doesn't.)
Keep driving in stop and go traffic. Purposely TRY to miss traffic lights. Accelerate moderately at a green light and try to miss the next light - and let the car slow to a stop while in gear. Downshifting is ok - just let the engine/trans slow the car and come to a complete stop. Keep doing this. Between lights, target DIFFERENT cruise speeds between lights - between 25 and 45. Stop and take a break, and check the monitor status. If CATalyst is not set, keep doing this city driving. Moderate acceleration (avoid boost), cruise between 25 and 45 - choose different speeds between lights, and TRY to miss lights so you can decel with engine and come to a stop.

5. OK, good news bad news here. Good news: CA will accept 1 monitor not being reset. Bad news: The ONLY monitor exception is EVAP. So, if you get all the monitors reset except for EVAP on day 1, you can proceed to the SMOG station. If you want them all reset, give the testing a break overnight and resume the next day. The EVAP will likely set pretty quickly and, if needed, you can focus on the stop & go needed to get the CATalyst monitor to reset.

Best of lust. Not super easy, but not all that hard, either.

Last edited:
Reactions: gdarrah99

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
What he said...............Midnite Blu all reset and passed smog. What a pain. Cleared Accufab tune to stock and did the driving thing as stated. All cleared except EVAP and completed test. EVAP cleared next morning............Thanks Kendall....GO BLU

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Thanks Kendall, and glad you finally passed "Midnite", I hope Dennis did as well. One wonders why VW did what they did :lol :lol :lol

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Good reminder that if you need a new battery and are close to emissions or don't drive your car very much to put the battery tender on before changing the battery (keep the positive away from grounds though). And it isn't even not driving much, but the traffic patterns to meet all the requirements. If you know what you have to do it is easier than leaving it to chance.

I'm down to just the catalyst code. I'm already on factory tune, MAF and throttle body I've done the prescribed cycle three times so I'm just going to go back to factory pulley and be done with it.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I tried passing three weeks ago and failed miserably even after driving 50 miles several times. I seem to have trouble reinstalling the original tune. My engine light comes on after 10 miles of driving .

I paid my registration a month ago, I am afraid I am going to get a ticket doing all of the driving on an expired registration. I plan to try one more time then see Shadowman. I guess worse would be a fix it ticket!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I tried passing three weeks ago and failed miserably even after driving 50 miles several times. I seem to have trouble reinstalling the original tune. My engine light comes on after 10 miles of driving .

I paid my registration a month ago, I am afraid I am going to get a ticket doing all of the driving on an expired registration. I plan to try one more time then see Shadowman. I guess worse would be a fix it ticket!

Did you disconnect the Mafia and load the stock tune in first. Then get an OBDII reader that can see the monitors and follow Kendall's instructions to get the monitors reset.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I'm down to just the catalyst code. I'm already on factory tune, MAF and throttle body I've done the prescribed cycle three times so I'm just going to go back to factory pulley and be done with it.

The pulley has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with it. If you want the CATalyst monitor to reset, in-city, in-traffic driving per my instructions is what you want to do. Changing out your pulley will have NO impact.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My engine light comes on after 10 miles of driving .

Well, this sound like an easy one. What engine code are you getting with your CEL? Of course you are not going to pass with a CEL and every time you reset the CEL, you are resetting the monitors. First step for you is to understand why the engine light is on. As a guess, maybe your car (tune) was using a MAFia and the MAFia is still plugged in? Easy to check. With your hand, trace the wire plugging into your MAF sensor in your air inlet to see if you have a MAFia.

I really wouldn't advocate turning your car over to anyone. Frankly, there is simply no shortcut. The dealership, your favorite tuner, etc, all MUST ultimately resort to putting miles on the car in order to complete the drive cycles. The GT I had this weekend (not Midnite's) had only 300 miles put on it in the 5 years since we'd seen it last. How ironic that the owner only get to drive it 60/miles per year and then I HAVE to put 60 miles on it to get the monitors set. What a shame. In short, I think YOU are the best person to put the miles on your own car - might as well enjoy it.

Let us know what code you're getting and we can help solve that then you can chase after the monitors....

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
As Kendall and Clinton mentioned, make sure the mafia is bypassed. I forgot to do that one time as well. Good luck!

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
i installed Torrie's tune and passed the test. our test is just like cali's. took me about 110 miles to get them on. this is with the mafia still in play.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
And people wonder why I have a stock pulley and stock tune.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The pulley has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with it. If you want the CATalyst monitor to reset, in-city, in-traffic driving per my instructions is what you want to do. Changing out your pulley will have NO impact.

Have you read my posts? I've been battling catalyst ready, and explicitly following the drive guide for two years. Last year, nearly 200 miles. This time, three times following that sequence on different occasions (with a warm engine). Still no go. I went through this last year, and in hopes of obtaining a tune that worked put the modified hardware back, but alas, noone can come up with a working solution. In any case, I'm not going to go through this hardware swap/drive cycle every year, so I'm just going to go back to full stock and not worry about it any more. I've put more miles on it to pass emissions than anything else.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Tony, I do FEEL for you. This emissions testing is a giant PITA, no doubts - even for an absolutely stock car. But, I'm also telling you that an absolutely stock car, a car with the Ford Racing pulley tune, or a car with a tune from a veteran tuner will all reset monitors identically. So, I understand that you are rightfully frustrated with your own situation (at the minimum, I know that you are trying to eliminate variables), but we should not condemn all pulley/tunes - because there are ways to do the programming correctly. To wit, the car we got tested this weekend had the Ford Racing pulley/tune which remained on the car the entire time.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tony, I do FEEL for you. This emissions testing is a giant PITA, no doubts - even for an absolutely stock car. But, I'm also telling you that an absolutely stock car, a car with the Ford Racing pulley tune, or a car with a tune from a veteran tuner will all reset monitors identically. So, I understand that you are rightfully frustrated with your own situation (at the minimum, I know that you are trying to eliminate variables), but we should not condemn all pulley/tunes - because there are ways to do the programming correctly. To wit, the car we got tested this weekend had the Ford Racing pulley/tune which remained on the car the entire time.

The Ford Racing configuration is 50 state compliant. I wish I'd chosen that configuration.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yes, Ford Racing went the extra mile and actually submitted (and paid) for their tune to be certified compliant. Kudos to them.

At the risk of oversimplifying, the tuners basically only have control of changing parameters for open-loop mode. These are the tables that the ECU looks at when you are "really in the throttle". Most of the time when you are driving, and certainly when the car was previously undergoing testing at SMOG stations, the car is in closed-loop operation - essentially relying upon the instantaneous feedback from the O2 sensors to control a/f ratios to an ideal (emissions) level. So, in theory, the aftermarket tunes aren't effecting any closed-loop operations. This is why the Ford Racing tune and other "proper" tunes will pass. The trouble is that some tuners elected to suppress error codes from triggering the CEL, and/or suppress the actual monitor test from occurring. If, for example, the ECU never performs the monitor test for a Catalyst, then it would never discover that perhaps the catalyst had been removed - and therefore a CEL for catalyst efficiency would never be generated. All was well and good until the State(s) started looking at these monitor flags!

My recommendation to you, Tony, is to get the programming back to OEM. Leave the smaller pulley alone, and trust me when I say it will not have an adverse effect. Then keep slogging away at the in-town stop and go driving to get that CATalyst monitor to reset. Once is does, get your SMOG test done. THEN, I would ping Torrie for a tune to correspond to your pulley and the universe will return to normal again.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
The Ford Racing configuration is 50 state compliant. I wish I'd chosen that configuration.

Thanks so much Kendall for your advice to install the Ford Pulley/Tune for me at the time I made the change!