Cali smog and current smog atation software

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Did you disconnect the Mafia and load the stock tune in first. Then get an OBDII reader that can see the monitors and follow Kendall's instructions to get the monitors reset.

I haven't got the reader yet. I tried to reinstall the OEM tune, and my tuner is functioning differently than it did two years ago. Can can I leave in the street tune as long as I switch the O2 sensor?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I haven't got the reader yet. I tried to reinstall the OEM tune, and my tuner is functioning differently than it did two years ago. Can can I leave in the street tune as long as I switch the O2 sensor?

It depends on the tune, probably not. Without knowing what's in the tune best to use OEM. Many turn off smog features like EGR, etc.

Should just be plug in the SCT, select return to stock. Be sure to remove the Mafia can don't drive on the boost.

DLKGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 10, 2005
Southern CA & Hilo, Hawaii
Yea! Finally got monitors set and passed smog yesterday. Only took more miles than driven in last 2 years!

Many thanks to all who provided input and assistance - Kendall, Junior, Geo. (Midnite blu).

Thank God for the Forum!!!!!!

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Glad to hear you're out of the hole !

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
OK my ALS519 finally arrived and its going to rain tomorrow. I re read the post a couple of times, so wish me luck!!! Guess I'll wait until Friday.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Recommend moderator makes this thread a "sticky."

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Temps have finally cooled off enough that I can work in the garage so the blower comes off this week an going back to full stock.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I tried to get my Roush Mustang Stage III smogged today and I didn't have a sticker for my Ford Headers, everything else passed. The strange thing is I passed smog two previous times, so my guess is the visual inspection is kind of subjective!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I just re read the thread and I am making progress. I have the Autel OBD scanner. When I first used it I had 5 red marks, now I am down to just the CAT, so I am guessing I need to do more traffic driving, I have gone about 50 miles, so I was hoping it to clear by now.

I have a Gen II Whipple with a emissions sticker, I stopped buy a smog check place today and the guy said the Whipple sticker is good but I need an acufab sticker. As far as I recall I thought the Acufab was part of the Whipple, so now I ask if I need another sticker or are the people making this stuff up as they go? I passed two times previously and no mention of the acufab. The guy looked at my muffler deleat and I said nothing, but I was half expecting him to ask for another sticker!

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Throttle body try another shop that isn'the so observant.

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Crazy it has come down to this!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kevin, yes, technically you need an EO number for the Accufab - and it doesn't exist. When your O2 monitor resets, you can; 1) try another smog test station and hope they don't ask about the Accufab, or; 2) temporarily install an OEM throttle body. Installing the OEM throttle body is straightforward and will not change anything on your car. If you need to borrow an OEM TB, I have one and can send it to you.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Kevin, yes, technically you need an EO number for the Accufab - and it doesn't exist. When your O2 monitor resets, you can; 1) try another smog test station and hope they don't ask about the Accufab, or; 2) temporarily install an OEM throttle body. Installing the OEM throttle body is straightforward and will not change anything on your car. If you need to borrow an OEM TB, I have one and can send it to you.

Thanks, ill try the first option first.
Appreciate the offer.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Kevin,

Your diligence will pay off!! Man, after reading your ordeal....., I'm dreading the process I'll need to go thru in about 10 months...

For those of you have the Whipple sticker, where do you stick it on? I haven't stuck it anywhere on the car, but been keeping it in an envelope all these years... I think I should stick it on the car b4 I lose it.

Thx

Ed

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Kevin,

Your diligence will pay off!! Man, after reading your ordeal....., I'm dreading the process I'll need to go thru in about 10 months...

For those of you have the Whipple sticker, where do you stick it on? I haven't stuck it anywhere on the car, but been keeping it in an envelope all these years... I think I should stick it on the car b4 I lose it.

Thx

Ed

Good idea!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
For those of you have the Whipple sticker, where do you stick it on?

I'd recommend placing it adjacent to the emissions sticker which is on the bulkhead under the clamshell more or less behind the driver's head. But you could also just hand it to the SMOG rep and tell him to stick it anywhere he wants!! :)

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Kendall, that's a good one. Tempting, hahaha!!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
A Christmas Miracal happened today! I passed my smog check finally. I saw we had nice clear sky's so it seemed like a good day to try to clear my last code. As soon as the CAT light went green I went into a smog check place. The guy checking me in asked me were is the sticker for the throttle body? I used a Jedi mind trick and said "it came with the Whipple". The head mechanic came over and said as long as the sticker is compatible with the year of my car it was good, so twenty min later the guy walked into the waiting room and tossed the clip board on the counters adding "it passed"! I avoided jumping up an down and wiped away the tear in my eye and said, "cool".

So thanks Kendall, for all the help, the scanner worked perfectly!

Last edited:

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I feel sorry for you Cali guys! We have a static OBD2 test in Texas. I have a GTG tune and 15 lb pulley on my GT. Every year I have to plan ahead and swap the tune to stock, change out the MAF sensor, and drive it about 50 miles. Car passes with the stock stuff but won't on the GTG tune due to a CAT monitor. The GTG tune also doesn't calculate boost correctly, reading 0 at full boost, not 15 psi. Just an annoyance. Anyone make a 15 lb tune that passes emissions and has a accurate inferred boost reading?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I feel sorry for you Cali guys! We have a static OBD2 test in Texas. I have a GTG tune and 15 lb pulley on my GT. Every year I have to plan ahead and swap the tune to stock, change out the MAF sensor, and drive it about 50 miles. Car passes with the stock stuff but won't on the GTG tune due to a CAT monitor. The GTG tune also doesn't calculate boost correctly, reading 0 at full boost, not 15 psi. Just an annoyance. Anyone make a 15 lb tune that passes emissions and has a accurate inferred boost reading?

It's not just CA. I have the same problems in NV. I have that same setup that you have. Two of the monitors were disabled (EGR and CAT) in his basic tune. Rich finally got his tuner to contact me directly. After three tries with different tunes and almost 200 more miles, I have more or less permanently switched back to the factory throttle body, MAF and tune. I still can't get the CAT monitor to reset so eventually I'll go back to stock pulley too.

The boost thing isn't totally the tune. I get the boost (vac) offset with all of the factory stuff except for the pulley so I'll see it it returns to normal when I swap it.

I wish I had gone with the more basic Ford Racing setup - it is 50 state compliant.