Boss 302S Tech question

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
First, I had the Boss 302 out again yesterday at Nelson Ledges. It is fast. In fact, the SCCA record holder at the track in T1 and T2 and overall fastest time for all SCCA sports car classes was running with me, and we ran neck and neck all day. (His car is several hundred pounds lighter with 45 more horsepower than the Boss)

But that is beside the point, There is a technical issue which is bugging me. The AIM dash that is installed in the car does not have a fuel load/quantity channel, only fuel pressure. It has the stock Boss 302/Mustang gas tanks. I want to add an Autometer analog fuel level gauge, and was wondering if Ford left a fuel level sender in the tank. If so, what are the Ohm values for empty to full? If any Ford engineers are reading this, please chime in! Thanks!

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
All the original Boss 302 fuel level senders pumps and plumbing are inside the tank.
I don't know what the ohms are sorry
I have fitted a 120 litre tank in the trunk for enduro racing and have put the original pumps intio a surge tank
you might want to look at a new clutch as ours lasted 25 laps then the lining fell off also old clutch/flywheel weighed 20 kg new clutch /flywheel only 5 kg

Attachments

• Boss 302s clutch 1.jpg
    Boss 302s clutch 1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 513
  • Boss 302s fuel cell 1.jpg
    Boss 302s fuel cell 1.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Tim, Please keep me informed on your progress with this. A solution needs to be found as running out of fuel on the track is a safety problem.

I thought it was ridiculous for there to be no gauge. I have felt like a idiot topping off with 5-6 gallons!!!

I think the AIM unit tells you fuel used until for each session until shut off. PIA

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
It is tough filling every session. Plus, the stock capless filler is a bitch to use. I need to get rid of that too. I should have the Ohm values from Ford this week, which could mean I could just hook up a $45 Autometer gauge. Also, I got rid of the stock clutch right away, and installed an Exedy race clutch.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Yea the capless thing works perfect in the street car,

There must be something different with the venting or something.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
"From the owner's manual... there is an AIM channel that adds up the fuel used...this resets with the master ignition.

"P_FUELUSED: Fuel totalizer, when used with the Channel report the signal range will return Liters of fuel used per lap"

This is what we do for the race cars...

It seems open track day guys like having fuel level as well.....The AIM could theoretically log the sending unit signal...depends on Steve's wiring...will touch base with him tomorrow....this is a common request we may want to consider adding it to the cars."

Manuals:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11687

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thanks to DBK, Mark McGowan and Andy Vrenko from Ford for their phone calls to me and support. I never got that kind of support from Ferrari for my Challenge cars!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Tim,
That's because your Mustang is a FORD!