These are all great stories. :thumbsup

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
"this car makes me want to have sex, is it yours"?

When the GT first came out, long before I owned one I heard two guys talking at a car show about them. The conversation went something like this.

"You know the most amazing thing about this Ford GT is if you own one, every time you go to a bar in it people pay for all of your drinks and then they get you laid." The man's friend replied, "Wow, that's amazing, do you own a GT?" The first man replied, "NO, but my sister does!!" :cheers

Chip

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
:biggrin :thumbsup :banana
DBK said:
These are all great stories. :thumbsup

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
nota4re said:
Does she call you bigdan too?

You'll have to ask her that one!!!!!!!!! :biggrin

jtatum01

GT Owner
Feb 27, 2006
South Carolina
I have a couple that lives next door in there early 90's and I bring the GT home to put her up when Ms. Micky and Mr. Red come out to look at the car. :eek I notice that Micky is looking at the car very close but no words are said yet , They are both hard of hearing , when all of a sudden she looks at me and yells " SHE LOOKS GOOD I BET THAT THIS THING WILL HAUL AS$ " . Well I have to tell you that I was not quite ready for that and I just busted out laughing and she then said lets not just stand here looking I want to go for a ride . I told my wife if it works on a 92 year old women that way there had to be many great times to come . :lol :lol

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Absolutely great stories. Thanks

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
My wife and I took the GT to my daughter's volleyball tournament a couple days after taking delivery. Had to drive around the area a bit to find a suitable parking spot. Came out of the building later in the day to find a couple guys drooling around the car. I walked over to ask if I could answer any questions for them and they turned out to be pretty knowledgable fellas. Then one guys says "My father in law has a red and white one. His name is Dan Gurney." I can't believe it and then he says "yeah, my wife saw you driving around and came running inside saying there's a Ford GT outside!" Spent some time with he and his wife later that day and she was really fired up about the car and all. Then she gave me one of Dan's business cards and said he takes his GT to Crystal Cove from time to time. Got to try and see if I can run into him there.

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
But no compliments for Ford?

Very interesting thread. I was hoping at least one onlooker would say:
"Wow,Ford's really got it together" or
"Wow, Ford is really capable of anything, aren't they?"
At least that's what Ford's ad campaign was hinting at, that the Ford GT was just one example of their forward thinking.

I am hoping for a residual effect on Ford's execs--as they drive their lease car around, and get complimented, then next time there's a chance to approve a program for such a special car, they will green light it. But unless it's a two seat Cobra, I think this is it--the ultimate car Ford will create in the next few decades.

I only had one briefly as a test car but ran across other enthusiast in Astons, etc. who respected it whereas before the Ford GT owners of exotic cars wouldn't pay attention to anything from Ford.

I think it's even better if it has no identifying stripes or badges, then people who have never seen a new GT or even original Ford GT40 have to decide if they like it on the basis of the shape alone, like the time I was walking down Rodeo Drive in BH with an Aussie lass who saw a 427 Cobra and said "I don't know what it is--but I like it."

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Today in Visalia. "is it a kit?" :banana :willy :banana

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
This week with my son.

My 14 year old and I are driving the GT when a car with two girls and a guy pull up next to us. The girl rolls down her window and looks right at my son and says "I Love You!" I cannot even walk towards the garage without him wanting to know which car I am taking.
Don

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
So, we go to add the GT to the AAA insurance policy and due to the cost, they say they need to have a quick visual inspection. We swing by the local AAA office and soon enough a mid-fifties gentleman comes outside to "inspect" the car. He never got closer than 3-4' and he didn't even walk around to the passenger side. He just says that it is a real beauty and tells me that he needs an actual odometer reading. I lean in and turn the key on, get the reading and tell him "one-hundred-and-three" miles. He says,"OK, great, 103 THOUSAND miles." I say, "no, 103 MILES." He stares at me and assumes I must not of heard him correctly and says, "got it, 103 THOUSAND miles." Now I'm the one staring at him and we both just stare at each other for one or two seconds. Then I say, "It's new, I just got it yesterday." He keeps staring at me like, so what? Then I add, "It's a 2006." Suddenly he breaks the stare. "What?", he says. I said, "It's a 2006 and I just got it yesterday." Suddenly he's all embarrassed and says that he can't believe they are making are car like this that is so beautiful. He thought it was a very nicely restored vintage race car. I wonder which one he was thinking of....

Fords4life351

Permanent Vacation
Mar 22, 2006
Colton, CA
nota4re said:
So, we go to add the GT to the AAA insurance policy and due to the cost, they say they need to have a quick visual inspection. We swing by the local AAA office and soon enough a mid-fifties gentleman comes outside to "inspect" the car. He never got closer than 3-4' and he didn't even walk around to the passenger side. He just says that it is a real beauty and tells me that he needs an actual odometer reading. I lean in and turn the key on, get the reading and tell him "one-hundred-and-three" miles. He says,"OK, great, 103 THOUSAND miles." I say, "no, 103 MILES." He stares at me and assumes I must not of heard him correctly and says, "got it, 103 THOUSAND miles." Now I'm the one staring at him and we both just stare at each other for one or two seconds. Then I say, "It's new, I just got it yesterday." He keeps staring at me like, so what? Then I add, "It's a 2006." Suddenly he breaks the stare. "What?", he says. I said, "It's a 2006 and I just got it yesterday." Suddenly he's all embarrassed and says that he can't believe they are making are car like this that is so beautiful. He thought it was a very nicely restored vintage race car. I wonder which one he was thinking of....
given his age he may have been thinking original "GT40"

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Since initial weather and then circumstances have conspired for me to have no seat time in the GT, my top ten comments came within my home on the first day of ownership:

10. "Oh, God...he's done it again!"

9. "You paid what??"

8. "Uh...hello...where do our bookbags go?"

7. "Which end is the front?"

6. "More horsepower or more insurance...which?"

5. "And this was in place of hair transplants?"

4. "So that would be a "no" on summer vacation?"

3. "And you feel that the kids do not need college?"

2. "What if you just drove your Accord with a Dirt Devil over your right shoulder...same thing?"

1. "How much cheaper was it in the kit version?"

- doc

"That's why they make home equity loans, for Pete's sake."

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Went to a dinner with some friends on Sunday eve. One of the guys is a pilot and knows everything about planes, nothing about cars. He goes ape over the GT and is asking all kind of tech questions. Finally asks "So how fast will this thing go?" I tell him over 200 mph. He drops his jaw and says "That's faster than my plane will go! It's just not fair!"

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Went to a local cruise in just to look around at all of the vintage cars...a group of 20 or so people waved me in to show my car....so I did. One guy who had a 1987 Buick Regal Turbo (never knew of such a thing) came up to me and said, "I had the baddest car in here...until you showed up."
I did have one older man tell me, "It's nice to see that some good things are coming out of Detroit."

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
comments

I see THIS thread has been around since the Ice Age, but, since DBK hasn't seen fit to PULL it yet ................!:lol

'Some comments ...'some situations:

My wife & I were in the GT & stopped at a red light waiting to make a left ... a young couple (DANG! I hate using that phrase!) pulls up in the RIGHT lane ('GIRL driving?! :eek ) ... the guy in the passenger seat motions frantically for my wife to roll down her window ... she can't find the darned 'switch - so I roll it down for her! ... the guy hollars, "Hey! Floor it! Let's see what it'll do! I'LL PAY YOUR TICKET!" Ya, right Joe-Bob...

We were pulling up to yet ANOTHER red light on another occasion (our town has an abundance of red lights - trust me) this time in the "thru" lane ... and I bring the GT to a halt between a berry farm bus full of high school age kids in the "Left turn lane", and a mini-van in the "RIGHT turn lane" ... the bus takes an IMMEDIATE "starboard list" ... and, after a few seconds, the left turn light goes "green" ... but, the bus just SITS there ... finally horns start honking from BEHIND the bus - and also from behind the guy next to us in the RIGHT TURN LANE who wasn't taking his "free right" like he should have been! NEITHER RIG ACTUALLY MOVED UNTIL MY LIGHT WENT GREEN AND I BOLTED!

'Wife & I pulled up in front of a restaurant we frequent ...she gets out & goes inside to get a table ... I take the car around the side of the bldg and park in our usual "secure" spot where I can eyeball the car from where we usually sit. As I get outta the GT, a couple of guys in suits walk up & start asking the usual stuff ... they walk off ... 'another couple take THEIR place & I answer THEIR questions ... then THEY leave, but are followed by ANOTHER couple with two barely teenage boys who ask yet MORE of the same questions. By this time, my wife comes back out thru the restaurant's door LOOKING FOR ME! It'd been seven minutes since I parked the car & she wondered what the heck had happened to me!

The following weekend, I was walking into that same restaurant after parking the car per usual, and as I walked thru the doorway, an older couple passed by me and the gent asks, "Have you had that car past second gear today at all? :rofl Now, THAT ol' guy knows his cars!

Believe it or not ... 'SAME restaurant again! ... by now the staff knows the GT will pbly be there on "sunny" weekends ... and the kitchen staff was ready! One day when we pulled in, the ENTIRE kitchen staff came out & asked if they could take pictures with their cell phone camera's! So, for the next little bit - THEY DID! I don't know if the guests inside appreciated the delay in their breakfast orders, but ...!

'VERY long story short, I got into a conversation about cars with the head bellman at the front desk of a Bellevue (Washington) hotel where we were staying. During the coarse of which, he mentioned his dream car was (you guessed it) the Ford GT. I praised his taste in cars :biggrin and when I told him I happened to own one, I thought he was going to fall over! He actually had to shake my hand because he said he ,"... probably will never get this close to someone who actually OWNS one ever again!"

'Had the GT at a small local "show" ... a couple buddies & I were sitting in our folding chairs behind our cars ... a guy in his early 20's goes around the GT at least a 1/2 dozen times ... 'asked who's car it was ... then very politely, and sincerely says, "I KNOW this is really none of my business, Sir (SIR! DANG! There's that "old guy" term again!), but I just gotta ask. Would you mind giving me some kind of ballpark idea what the monthly payment on something like this runs???"
I wasn't really prepared for THAT one, he caught me kinda flat footed ... and I said something like, "I guess that would depend on your 'downstroke', the length of your contract, your interest rate and your credit score. You'd really have to check with your bank on that." At that point I could "see the lights come on" ... the color sorta left his face a bit ... his eyes became the size of dinner plates, his jaw dropped noticeably and he said, "Y-you mean you don't KNOW whaaa ...Did y-you actually p-pay cash f-for this?" Whereupon I answered, "Son, I never said that, now did I?" :ack Talk about yer awkward moments! Sheeeeze!

Probably the funniest thing I've heard of in the "comments" department" happened between my eldest daughter & the couple sitting next to her on the plane trip up here this Christmas! It's not so much that the comment was necessarily funny by itself ...'just the way it came about!
The couple was reading a Road & Track mag, or something like it, and the couple were setting there beside my daughter going back & forth between themselves discussing the MUSTANG GT vs the FORD GT ( 'ring a bell, does it?!). The woman asked the guy she was with just what WAS the biggest difference between the two cars - and my daughter (who had her seat reclined, eyes shut, and was juuuust about to doze off) out of the blue quietly volunteered, "About a hundred and fifty thousand dollars."

She's her father's daughter!!!! 'Can't keep her mouth shut!!!:rofl

So, I'll DO THAT now.

'Pockets

Last edited:

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
"The driver of that car is sexy." I hear that alot.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My favorite is when I asked a Porsche Club concours expert to detail my new Ford GT,the respose was sorry I don't do Mustangs!!!Sent pics and she changed her mind!!

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
My favorite was spoken at a stop-light by a middle-aged man with his significant other in the passenger seat. Fortunately, my wife was with me, which added to the moment.

He said...

"Thank you for living my dream".