Oct 24, 2005
ma.
It sure is a wonderful car!

Last edited:

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I've heard numerous stories of our cars being confused with other makes.

The one that really got me was on our way home from the rally in NOLA last year.
We had problems with our F350 and had to leave it at a FORD dealership in Arkansas for a week.
We're in the back lot of the dealership unloading the GT out of the trailer to drive the remaining 350 miles back to KC.
2 guys from the front office are back there trying to help.
As we're winching it out of the trailer, the first guy asks "what kind of car is that?" and then the second one questions "is that a Corvette?"
Now I know people easily confuse these for other cars, but I looked at them both and said "where do you guys work?, you have a poster of this in the showroom". (the red side of the 2 sided poster).

I just had to walk away..........

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
It's also funny to listen to people talk about the car. Tonight was the Shelby Mid-american Cruise in Tulsa. I was sitting with my wife and son about 10 feet behind the GT. Two guys came up and began talking amongst each other about how the doors open. After it was all said and done, they decided that you pull the "door handle" (front hatch release or gas door release) and the doors butterfly up from the top.

Two other guys were also talking about the car. At that point it was definitely a European car made in 2003.

;/

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
A couple of changes to the usual this spring. I've heard a number of people explaining my GT as a GT500.

Also, people seem to be asking if they can take a picture. In the past they just did..

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
A couple of changes to the usual this spring. I've heard a number of people explaining my GT as a GT500.

Also, people seem to be asking if they can take a picture. In the past they just did..

Generally they all ask, if I'm near the GT. Not unusual for people to wait around until I get back to the car, and then ask.

Best comment :" Now That's A Nice Hot Rod." from the builder of Best in Show at Grand National's. Quite a statement.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My favorite is .Is it a KIT car?
I really want to say are you fu#$king kidding me!
One guy was convinced it was a Lotus! He was shit faced

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Besides the kit car question, second place goes to "what kind of Mustang is that?"

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Besides the kit car question, second place goes to "what kind of Mustang is that?"
I get that if I call my local dealer for parts. You don't have that problem with Torrie.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I get that if I call my local dealer for parts.

Yeah, I got that too and then the parts manager came in - he saw me pull up - and he's now my best bud at the dealership :)

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
At a car show...older gentleman, shakes his head and says "it's going 100 miles per hour before you even start it."

That comment was used later in reference to a ticket from a very young RCMP officer for an "estimated" 20 over..head on estimate, cherries came on before we even passed, so no frame of reference. Beat the charge, but I claim the only ticket in the GT community for looking too fast.

ARRRGH

GT Owner
May 4, 2010
Metro Detroit
I'm stopped at a red light. It turns green. The car to my right backs into the car behind him. Turns out, he put his car in park to take picture my GT then accidentally put it in reverse instead of drive.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

My favorite occurred many years ago when the GT Forum held a gathering at the Indy 500. A group of us were pulling into the infield in a line of GT's and I came to a stop at an intersection with my windows down. A guy about 30 years old in a dirty T-shirt was holding a diaper bag in one hand and a 2 or three year old child was holding his other hand. His heavy set wife was beside him holding an infant. They were all wearing flip-flops and he didn't look too happy as he stared right into my eyes and said to me, "Man, I wish I was you".

Chip

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Gentlemen,

My favorite occurred many years ago when the GT Forum held a gathering at the Indy 500. A group of us were pulling into the infield in a line of GT's and I came to a stop at an intersection with my windows down. A guy about 30 years old in a dirty T-shirt was holding a diaper bag in one hand and a 2 or three year old child was holding his other hand. His heavy set wife was beside him holding an infant. They were all wearing flip-flops and he didn't look too happy as he stared right into my eyes and said to me, "Man, I wish I was you".

Chip

That was probably more a statement about you than the car, but LOL-worthy nonetheless:)

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I have witnesses to this today.

Older woman (yes, older than me) puts her head in the open driver window. Out comes her head. She calls to her similar aged girlfriend, "come here, you have to smell this." Next, two old ladies are sniffing my interior. My car's interior, that is.

One to the other: "Isn't that nice?"

After they pull their heads out...

Me: You ladies like that?

Them: Oh yes.

Me: Well, that's me.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I have witnesses to this today.

Older woman (yes, older than me) puts her head in the open driver window. Out comes her head. She calls to her similar aged girlfriend, "come here, you have to smell this." Next, two old ladies are sniffing my interior. My car's interior, that is.

One to the other: "Isn't that nice?"

After they pull their heads out...

Me: You ladies like that?

Them: Oh yes.

Me: Well, that's me.

[video=youtube;AfkY6RJ1E5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfkY6RJ1E5o[/video]

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
OMFW...that is hilarious! Not at all the same though. The old lady hit on me later. You know, desire smells like that to some people.

wtf bonehead...do you have a repository of this stuff just waiting for the moment to unleash? :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...I stop at a red light on a multilane surface street. I am in the center of 3 lanes of traffic. School bus was sitting in the right lane. When I come to a stop, I notice the bus begin to tilt and things got noisy on the bus.

Change to read "berry farm bus" in the left turn lane and GT in the center lane and you have my own experience.

By the time #1079 'squirted' through the intersection on the next 'green' traffic was just ALL screwed up 'round there.

'Glad the GT was the lead car in the center lane. :wink

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The most common comment EP got while 1079 was on the road, I guess miracles happen...

...your car isn't in the garage.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ouch!

Ed

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime