Battery Recommendation

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
The following is just my opinion based upon experiences and how I solved a problem with my own personal Ford GT. I am sure others may well hold different opinions.

I have kept note of all the threads related to battery failures and gauge problems, and as a result been very carefull in keeping my car on a battery tender when stored longer than one week.

Last February, Shelby Smith put a new Ford GT specific battery from his Ford dealer in my car prior to my purchase. So my battery was only one year old. This is the first winter that I have stored my car, but even with the tender on it, I was concerned. On Friday, I decided to check the gauge response and turned on the key. As I feared, the Fuel Gauge and Volt Meter were slow to respond and shortly both gauges fell to zero.

So I then decided to try to start the car. As I suspected, the starter solenoid would only try to engage the starter and then kick out. Note all this was happening with a one year old Ford battery that had always been on a tender. I actually checked the battery voltage prior to trying the gauges and it was 12.69 volts. After trying to start the car, the voltage was 11.55. Within five minutes on the tender, the voltage was back up to 12.79. No low battery will recover this quickly just on a tender, so the battery itself had to have failed.

Obviously, the conclusion was that the battery had gone bad in spite of its care and age. I have had some experience with Optima batteries in the past, and unfortunately, most of it has been bad. I have had clients specify them to be installed in vintage rally cars and we have found they have actually had the cases crack open due to the vibration from the car. This has never happened to a regular battery in any of our vintage rally or race cars. I have also had Optimas fail with very short lifespans in the past.

So I set out to find if I could replace the factory battery with a standard battery. A little research a my local discount store revealed that the Optima used in the GT is basically a Group 34 or 78 size battery, and is only rated at 540 CCA as stated in the Ford GT Shop Manual. I was able to find a Group 78DT (dual terminal) 850 CCA battery (6 year guarentee, $69.99) that I thought might fit in the original battery box.

By the way, you can remove the battery without having to take the chin spoiler off the car as stated in the shop manual. Just loosen the battery holddown bolt ( the 8mm hex that stands verticlly behind the center of the battery. With the cables disconnected, you then can pivot the battery up at the front and lift it clear of the battery box and car.

After getting the new battery home, even though it was slightly larger than the Optima, I was able to just fit it into the box without any problems. The only issue is related to reinstalling the luggage compartment tray. The top terminals on the Group 78 DT are nearer the center of the top of the battery than those on the Optima, so the battery cables are now located slightly ( a couple of inches) rearward. They now just contact the bottom of the tray when it is installed. There is no electrical issue here, as the tray is plastic and the cables have insulator covers on them also. All that is required is to install the lower front plastic attaching screw first, so it holds the tray down when the other three screws are inserted. You will find the tray will be slightly higher in the front, but the trunk lid easily compresses it when closed. After it sat overnight, the trunk closed completely normally.

Personally, I feel much better about my car electrically. I now have a proven, reliabile battery of significantly greater starting capacity, and have some faith that when kept on a tender, it will keep the voiltage up to where the chance of gauge problems due to low voltage will be minimized.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I agree with your post and suspect that overtime many will change over to these types of batteries. However, as of right now, many of our cars are on warranty and luckily the batteries are covered under warranty and they give us the same type battery in return. Sure wish they (ford) would give us a BETTER battery!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Very interesting post.

It's going to be interesting to see how that battery actually works out in all the areas of concern.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
and many of our warranties are up also :bored

so after three years on the Optima - when she does fizzle - I'll do a group 78 anyday! I have two other cars on tenders with Group 78 batteries for over 5+ yrs and no issues.

Thanks for the option - DWR46

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have had a similar experience with the Optima batteries as well. Used a few in different applications... all failed in short order.

I have asked around the race track a bit and got some positive feedback about a battery called Odyssey. I can not personally recommend it. However I do plan to try it in the GT, if I can get one to fit.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I get nervous with my Opima battery too. My car is a 2006 buillt in January 2006...so I am out of warranty with the original Optima still in the car.
Can someone from Ford Motor Co. on the site (Fred Goodnow, Rich Roback GTTech or the GT Guys etc add some thoughts to this thread ? )
In your opinions, When SHOULD we go out and get a new one and what other Brand is best?. All I hear is bad things about Optima in our cars.

Thanks for a very good thread/discussion so far.
AJB

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
For what its worth...

I have used Sears Die-Hard for north of eight years on many cars; $75.

Had one in a vintage mercedes that got started twice a month with only a battery cut- off switch, and didnt even use a tie down.

Their International orSilver fits most vintage

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I have had a similar experience with the Optima batteries as well. Used a few in different applications... all failed in short order.

I have asked around the race track a bit and got some positive feedback about a battery called Odyssey. I can not personally recommend it. However I do plan to try it in the GT, if I can get one to fit.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

Odyssey batteries are FANTASTIC. We run them in every one of our race cars and have had nothing but flawless performance out of them.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The Odyssey website makes a very welcome stmt for FGT owners:

"Putting a boost on the battery (Odyssey) will not damage it, even if its voltage reads higher than 12.65V."

As we all know, 'can't say the same for the OEM unit.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The Odyssey website doesn't list an application for the FGT.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Easy enough to get around. Measure the Optima, call the Odyssey factory, give 'em the dimensions, and see which of their batteries comes closest those dimensions that will still fit.

'Could be there's one that'll come as close as the Group 78DT that DRW46 mentioned. 'Worth a shot anyway...

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
If you guys want, I would be happy to contact Odyssey and see if we can get a group discount or some sort of special rate.

I'm pretty sure that we've just paid full price in the past as we aren't a distributor of theirs but it doesn't hurt to ask.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
If you guys want, I would be happy to contact Odyssey and see if we can get a group discount or some sort of special rate.

I'm pretty sure that we've just paid full price in the past as we aren't a distributor of theirs but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Sounds good to me, I would be in. :thumbsup

John

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Kyle,
Sign me up for the battery!
Ron

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
OK, I'll work on this tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
me 2

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Mr. Millen, I'm in on a battery.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Great and helpful post and a group buy is always a good thing:thumbsup

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Odyssey battery

Why use the 34/78-PC1500 when all you need is the 34-PC1500 ??? It is the SAME size !!! The GT uses the TOP (SAE) Terminal!!! :confused

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Why use the 34/78-PC1500 when all you need is the 34-PC1500 ??? It is the SAME size !!!:confused

Andy- As I look at the catalog the 34-PC1500 appears to only have post terminals whereas the 34/78-PC1500 appears to have both side AND post connection terminals. I have never had any reason to inspect my GT battery so I do not know if our application requires the post or side terminals. I suspect the more modern side terminal connection is what the chasis electrical cables need to attach to the battery.

Since it has been stated the protruding terminals of a Dual-Terminal (DT) battery slightly interfere with our front luggage tub, I would favor the Odyssey battery properly sized (either group 34 or group 78) with only the side terminals (if that is what our connection cables support).