Austin F1 track day possible

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Yeah John of course you show the lap where I waved you by !!! :)

The facility was awesome, the company (John, Jeanine and Kurt) in our garage even better. The weather was from high 50's in the AM to low 70's in the afternoon. Lots of cool cars and met some great people too. The track was very challenging and quite scary on the first day as with the elevation changes with curves after them the 55 year old brain takes longer these days to memorize the track. As John mentioned in a post above it was cool being in the F1 garages (our was Nico Hulkenberg's) The garages were very nice with our own private restrooms and the track food was better than most I have had over the years. We all did all 12 sessions which equaled to 78 laps or 270 miles. I sure hope we get to go back. And all our cars are in one piece without a scratch. My best time was a 1:34 when I was chasing John in the last session

Steve

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
^^^ hey, I was showcasing your awesome driving, but thanks for the arm wave anyway. If I had a rear view cam at the finish, it would have had a face full of you man. Nice driving and great to be with you and Kurt!

>> Steve, Janine just reminded me that since she did 2:45 with 320hp, she thinks she beat us. She may have a point, but I'm not going to tell her that.

Last edited:

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Yep we enjoyed you all too and wasnt Kurt (Topshot) a hoot and a heck of a driver. Everyone reading this, if this event is held again next year we need more GT's then

I am afraid you are right about Jeanine's comment but please dont tell her !!!

Last edited:

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
You guys were fun to watch!!! The GT500 on street tires was only capable of 2:39. Dave in his McClaren was close to yall at 2:35. I wish I could have been in your class so I could have seen your lines. I also hope we get to go back. It was one of my top 5 car experiences.

Larry

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Here are a couple of pictures!!!

Attachments

• DSCN4632.jpg
    DSCN4632.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCN4738.jpg
    DSCN4738.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 173

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Here is Ben in his Aerial at Cota and Dave in his McClaren....

Attachments

• DSCN4645.jpg
    DSCN4645.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Ariel.jpg
    Ariel.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 179

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Minor correction Mr B - Bill clocked me at 2:34. Now if I only had the cojones to put it in full track mode....maybe next time!
The whole weekend was an absolute blast, and it was neat meeting up again with a lot of the folk from the NOLA rally. Hope we get to do it again!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Very cool! Nice data acquisition.

The laps look awesome just by virtue of the curbing and grandstands.

Yes, it really is a feast for the eyes there. Down the back straight, things are flying by- fence, colors, markers - just like any video game you've ever played. Many of the big flat sweepers get dizzying looking across all the curb striping going and coming. Pretty awesome just in that regard.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I would definitely not be cool being on the same track with whatever is going on in this video. :eek

YIKES

[video=youtube_share;I6aSqNQvF1k]http://youtu.be/I6aSqNQvF1k[/video]

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
Dave,

That guy made it look alot harder than it was...... very scary. was no way near that bad, he must have had his set up way off..

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
For sure. The track looks awesome. Whatever that guy had going on was definitely not awesome. I like the elbow on the window, one handing it in the turns when the car is out of control, grabbing onto the outside of the car when the car is out of control. :lol I'm amazed he didn't end up with a worse video for all the action in this one minute clip. If he had an instructor, I hope he bought him a new pair of underwear as compensation!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Reminds me of StormCAt. Only this guy doesn't have golf gloves.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Hey, on the plus side, he's famous.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Dave,

That guy made it look alot harder than it was...... very scary. was no way near that bad, he must have had his set up way off..

Set up way off????

From the lines he was driving, it appears a little more instruction might be in order......

Like Ron likes to hammer home, "Slow is Fast".

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
OK....here's my video contribution. Put it to music as the wind noise and warble from the GoPro and car chassis was too annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEQAUuIxyYc

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
OK....here's my video contribution. Put it to music as the wind noise and warble from the GoPro and car chassis was too annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEQAUuIxyYc

Doesn't work - content is blocked

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Works on PCs but not mobile devices. Must be the music I picked.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Works on PCs but not mobile devices. Must be the music I picked.

Yep, you got pulled for music license rights. Try some Herb Alpert and you should be fine.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Removed music....let's try this again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMW0bKg8EKw