Are Ford GTs worth $200k now ?

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
How about the peeps Ike us that drive them? What are 50000 mile or more worth? What is the highest mile cars selling for because I'm not parking mine. I put 2000 miles on in one month and enjoyed every mile.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
How about the peeps Ike us that drive them? What are 50000 mile or more worth? What is the highest mile cars selling for because I'm not parking mine. I put 2000 miles on in one month and enjoyed every mile.

I would say it is worth right now MSRP 2006. No gain, no loss. In other words your fun was free!

Ed

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
The coolest parts of this thread are:
1. Undeniable proof that plenty of GT owners DRIVE their cars
2. Undeniable proof that driving a GT is what it's meant for (i.e. few if any problems -- don't try that in just any exotic)

I've enjoyed just over 24,000 miles of pure nirvana behind the wheel (got it at MSRP with 7 miles on the odo on August 23, 2005 -- not that the details of that day are burned into my brain or anything). I've had it on race tracks (road course and drag strips), out to my hometown of Denver (from my home base in L.A.) and at multiple car shows. Car can handle anything.

I bow in reverence to those of you with 2-plus times my mileage. Such a fabulous vehicle! And it's also why resale value means so little to so many of us (the "sale" part of the word simply doesn't compute). :)

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ Well said!

xjsteve

GT Owner
Jan 24, 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm going to throw in my 2 cents. I have a few cars and like to work on them as much as possible myself (however, "mechanic" and my name in the same sentence would never occur). I know I'm stating the obvious but cars that are not driven become mantle pieces. They get relegated to the show-piece world as eventually they are mechanically unreliable/ blow seals etc. For fun vs investment balance, I aim to put about 500 miles per year onto my cars as a minimum (I know there are many laughing right now as that number is so low but you have to appreciate the deep freeze I live in for 2/3 of the year) just to keep them in tip top shape. I truly value a car with that kind of mileage more than one with 100 miles for the reasons above. What kind of yearly mileage do the forum members believe is the minimum to maintain seals etc.?

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
I have toyed with selling my GT while moving different cars around. Mostly playing with cars, as do many of you. The more I've driven it over the last 8 months or so (now at 33k miles and change!), the more I've grown to appreciate it. This may sound odd, but I kind of want to 'reward' it, you know... new Bridgestones, do a chassis detail, find little things to do to it. I find the 'appreciation' of this car is also shared by most everyone at gas stations, or in general, who just rave over the car. They're always proud that it is American.

To me, the appreciation in value is also due to many of these "unquantifiable" attributes.

My desire to sell it lessens every day. Though not 'actively' for sale (a broker has it on his site, that's it) I had a call out of the blue the other night about it. I found myself simultaneously enthused for the buyer's choice, but very unenthused about selling him mine. Something about the car - or me - has changed as I've spent time with it. I can see why most GT owners make reluctant sellers, begging the question... "What would you replace it with that wouldn't be a bit of a disappointment?"

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Ahhhh, grasshopper-

You are beginning to understand FGT ownership.....

(just unparalled)

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I had a call out of the blue the other night about it. I found myself simultaneously enthused for the buyer's choice, but very unenthused about selling him mine. Something about the car - or me - has changed as I've spent time with it. I can see why most GT owners make reluctant sellers, begging the question... "What would you replace it with that wouldn't be a bit of a disappointment?"
I take the blame for your phone call the other night. On NSX prime, an owner PM'd me of his wish to buy a higher mileage GT, and I told him that one of our own (NSX owners that is) has one that he has at times said was for sale, and that he drives it and enjoys it. I gave him your AHudson contact from prime and the rest, as they say, is history.
I certainly agree with your question, what would you replace it with that wouldnt be a bit of a disappointment, and I think that you know, the answer...................nothing can replace it!!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ford GTs are actually worth $196,843.32 right now. Tomorrow they'll probably be $196.844.23. I'm banking on 6 months from now = $198,429.29. At least that's what I'm hoping. In the meantime, I'm going to buy chainmail gloves to keep myself from chewing my fingernails off in anticipation of what it might be worth on November 24, 2013.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Ford GTs are actually worth $196,843.32 right now. Tomorrow they'll probably be $196.844.23. I'm banking on 6 months from now = $198,429.29. At least that's what I'm hoping. In the meantime, I'm going to buy chainmail gloves to keep myself from chewing my fingernails off in anticipation of what it might be worth on November 24, 2013.
I've been "cautioned" about arguing with you, but I will anyway. You're only correct if it's a red car with 4345 miles on it, otherwise your numbers are off!!!!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I've been "cautioned" about arguing with you, but I will anyway. You're only correct if it's a red car with 4345 miles on it, otherwise your numbers are off!!!!!

Do you have a source on this information? I need hard data on this red car. That's a pretty explosive revelation, as the charts I was provided at last month's Cabal of GT Price Manipulators said it was based on a white car with 4,384 miles.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Do you have a source on this information? I need hard data on this red car. That's a pretty explosive revelation, as the charts I was provided at last month's Cabal of GT Price Manipulators said it was based on a white car with 4,384 miles.
With TT?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
We didn't go over TT cars at last month's meeting.

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
I take the blame for your phone call the other night. On NSX prime, an owner PM'd me of his wish to buy a higher mileage GT, and I told him that one of our own (NSX owners that is) has one that he has at times said was for sale, and that he drives it and enjoys it. I gave him your AHudson contact from prime and the rest, as they say, is history.
I certainly agree with your question, what would you replace it with that wouldnt be a bit of a disappointment, and I think that you know, the answer...................nothing can replace it!!!

Hey, no blame... only thanks! You did what you were doing to help others, always appreciated. Only until that call did I realize there was no need for me to 'push' for the sale. If it happened as quoted, fine. If not, even more fine. It is an odd thing to say that 30k on a 7 year old car is 'high', but so be it. Invites more fun driving with less guilt. I've driven mine every day this week. I also happen to feel the values of these are not going down, so there's no race to 'beat the depreciation clock'. Best of both worlds.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

:lol

On another topic, those with agreed/stated value policies may find it beneficial to get a quote on an ACV policy. I got a quote from my specialty auto insurer to raise the agreed value to $215k on my car and the premium was nearly 110% higher than the quote I got to add the GT to my existing ACV policy on my other vehicles. With the prices of GTs trending steadily upward and the fact that sellers like Shelby and Marv can easily establish the FMV of these cars, I feel comfortable with an ACV policy, particularly given the fact the premium is well over $1,000 less a year.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
:lol

On another topic, those with agreed/stated value policies may find it beneficial to get a quote on an ACV policy. I got a quote from my specialty auto insurer to raise the agreed value to $215k on my car and the premium was nearly 110% higher than the quote I got to add the GT to my existing ACV policy on my other vehicles. With the prices of GTs trending steadily upward and the fact that sellers like Shelby and Marv can easily establish the FMV of these cars, I feel comfortable with an ACV policy, particularly given the fact the premium is well over $1,000 less a year.

Interesting, Paul. Wasn't even aware of ACV policies. Bit a of risk if the insurer seeks out their own source for FMV (vs. using Marv or Shelby), no?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ed,

ACV type policies are the standard in the industry. This is what you likely have on your daily drivers. Given the small, well established market for the GT and the fact the prices seem to be going up monthly, I see less risk with an ACV policy right now than an agreed value policy (unless you adjust the agreed value every couple of months). It seems like only yesterday $165k was sufficient to replace my car, now I doubt it could be replaced for less than $215k. Since the ACV policy was much, much less than the agreed value policy, it was a no brainer for me. I think some of the premium disparity may be attributed to the fact the insurers may be underrating the GT's value. Doesn't matter though, once they bind the policy for the agreed upon premium, it is a done deal.

Last edited:

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Sorry, if I give you the "source" of my information, I'll have to kill you!!!!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Sorry, if I give you the "source" of my information, I'll have to kill you!!!!

What is wrong with you?? Never threaten to kill someone from Detroit, even in jest.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
What is wrong with you?? Never threaten to kill someone from Detroit, even in jest.
Didn't say I was going to kill him, only that I gave him my source, I'd have to do it. I'm not giving my source!!!!