AP Racing Brakes W/Solid Rotors

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I too signed up for the AP Racing / Stillen GT brake upgrade evaluation program. I decided to go with the Solid Slotted Rotors. Stillen Recommends the solid rotors on the rear for maximum braking performance.

I plan to attend a few more tracks days this year. The solid rotors should provide the best performance and eliminate the potential of a cracked rotor which drilled rotors can exhibit with heavy use and extreme heat cycles.

I want to thank Bill / Shadowman for his informative write up on Ed's car. Because the system I have is slightly different I wanted to make a separate post. Being a recipient of and early kit I too had to make the slight modification to the kit and car. I want to thank Bill for the pre-warning on slight mods. I too had to trim the front caliper bolts. Drill out the rear spacers , grind off some material on the rear of the e brake mounting ears. I also reused the stock front brake hoses on the rear. The kit comes with new front brake hoses.

By rotating in the E-brake caliper piston I was able to get enough slack in the system. I did not need to make any adjustments inside the car to the E-brake handle or cable.

Kyle from Stillen has stated that the new kits come with the proper bolts. and they have modified the E-brake bracket so no grinding should be required. They have also changed the bore size on the rear spacers so these minor issues should be gone for any future users.

The weights of the AP Racing Slotted rotors seem to be equal to what Bill reported for the AP Racing drilled Rotors. I recorded 20 lbs for the Front rotors and 22.5 lbs for the Rear rotors

The mechanical work is very straight forward and not that difficult to perform. I really enjoy working on the GT so this was a fun Project for me.

I did a complete Brake fluid evac and refilled with ATE Super Blue Brake fluid. I have a large vacuum pump and I attached a smaller collecting bottle in line ahead of the pump to monitor the bleeding fluid. This system worked very well.

We have had a lot of rain so my driving time has been limited . I have just started the bedding process so I cannot give you any feed back on extreme performance yet. Initial feel is very good.

I would like to note. The Clearance of the front rotors to the wheel is very close. They fit inside the 18" BBS lightweight wheels ok but if you have a after market 18" wheel and the valve stem is behind the face of the wheel you may have a clearance issue.

Here are a few Photos of the install. When I get the car outside I'll get some better photos. Driving and braking feel evaluation to come in the following days / weeks depending on the weather. It's to hot for any track days in south Florida so I am not sure when I can you a true track day evaluation.

Attachments

• ap 1.jpg
    ap 1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 987
  • ap 10.jpg
    ap 10.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 909
  • ap 13.jpg
    ap 13.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 842
  • ap 15.jpg
    ap 15.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 901

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Love those brakes

Thanks Stormcat. Nice photos & install eval. I can't wait wait till you bed them in & try them - massive brake forces!

Ed

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I just put in the slotted racing rotors from Brembo.They are a 2 piece floating rotor .They are for the stock caliper set up.I only put them on the front,since the fronts take the beating .I got them from Shadowman.They seem very impressive so far .I have not had them on the track yet ,but will soon! I also used the dark blue pagids for the street 4-2 and for the track I am using the yellows 4-4 .I would use the yellows all the time but the squealing is unbearable. My wife would never go out in the car, if it squealed like a pig!!

Aug 25, 2006
I just put in the slotted racing rotors from Brembo.They are a 2 piece floating rotor .They are for the stock caliper set up.I only put them on the front,since the fronts take the beating .I got them from Shadowman.They seem very impressive so far .I have not had them on the track yet ,but will soon! I also used the dark blue pagids for the street 4-2 and for the track I am using the yellows 4-4 .I would use the yellows all the time but the squealing is unbearable. My wife would never go out in the car, if it squealed like a pig!!

You will be very happy as these were designed at my request by the Brembo team as a serviceable OEM replacement with sadly the Ford Racing rotors are not.

Thank you for the trust and confidence

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
I too signed up for the AP Racing / Stillen GT brake upgrade evaluation program. I decided to go with the Solid Slotted Rotors. Stillen Recommends the solid rotors on the rear for maximum braking performance.

I plan to attend a few more tracks days this year. The solid rotors should provide the best performance and eliminate the potential of a cracked rotor which drilled rotors can exhibit with heavy use and extreme heat cycles.

I want to thank Bill / Shadowman for his informative write up on Ed's car. Because the system I have is slightly different I wanted to make a separate post. Being a recipient of and early kit I too had to make the slight modification to the kit and car. I want to thank Bill for the pre-warning on slight mods. I too had to trim the front caliper bolts. Drill out the rear spacers , grind off some material on the rear of the e brake mounting ears. I also reused the stock front brake hoses on the rear. The kit comes with new front brake hoses.

By rotating in the E-brake caliper piston I was able to get enough slack in the system. I did not need to make any adjustments inside the car to the E-brake handle or cable.

Kyle from Stillen has stated that the new kits come with the proper bolts. and they have modified the E-brake bracket so no grinding should be required. They have also changed the bore size on the rear spacers so these minor issues should be gone for any future users.

The weights of the AP Racing Slotted rotors seem to be equal to what Bill reported for the AP Racing drilled Rotors. I recorded 20 lbs for the Front rotors and 22.5 lbs for the Rear rotors

The mechanical work is very straight forward and not that difficult to perform. I really enjoy working on the GT so this was a fun Project for me.

I did a complete Brake fluid evac and refilled with ATE Super Blue Brake fluid. I have a large vacuum pump and I attached a smaller collecting bottle in line ahead of the pump to monitor the bleeding fluid. This system worked very well.

We have had a lot of rain so my driving time has been limited . I have just started the bedding process so I cannot give you any feed back on extreme performance yet. Initial feel is very good.

I would like to note. The Clearance of the front rotors to the wheel is very close. They fit inside the 18" BBS lightweight wheels ok but if you have a after market 18" wheel and the valve stem is behind the face of the wheel you may have a clearance issue.

Here are a few Photos of the install. When I get the car outside I'll get some better photos. Driving and braking feel evaluation to come in the following days / weeks depending on the weather. It's to hot for any track days in south Florida so I am not sure when I can you a true track day evaluation.

Thank you STORMCAT for the kind words

I am glad the installation went well and that thus far you are happy.

They do look very nice

All the best

Shadowman

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Thank you STORMCAT for the kind words

I am glad the installation went well and that thus far you are happy.

They do look very nice

All the best

Shadowman

Thanks Bill.. Keep up the good work.. I hear there are some interesting GT projects in the works !! Of course I will not let the "Cat " out of the bag !! :biggrin

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Thanks Bill.. Keep up the good work.. I hear there are some interesting GT projects in the works !! Of course I will not let the "Cat " out of the bag !! :biggrin

What? Cat? please say more? Let it out....let the cat out!!!:biggrin

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Well I got to put the AP Racing Brakes to the test on Thursday at PBIR. These brakes are the real deal. I will never say anything bad about the stock GT brakes. They are very good.

The AP Racing brakes are noticeably stronger.
I am fortunate to have two GT's the other one is a low mileage bone stocker. Before going to the track I drove both cars back to back on the street and the AP brakes offer more bite and will slow you down quicker that the stock set up.

On the AP Racing brakes worked flawlessly and were noticeably stronger and fade free. I was on this same track back in December with the stock brakes and difference in braking points and stopping G's was very noticeable. If you are going to do some track events or you have boosted your power these things can help bring you back down to a safe speed in a hurry !! :thumbsup

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
stock vs AP Stillen brakes

Very nice descriptive comparison Stormcat. I agree with you. The stock brakes are great but the AP Stillen brakes are definitely stronger with less fade.

Ed

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
They look great. As an alternative, I KNOW that Girodisc is now making 2 pc solid rotors to fit our cars and the stock calipers........so they'll fit any rims, and should give more stopping force. I'm gonna see if I can get the owner thereof to let me know his thoughts on them (and maybe, for the umpteenth time, try to get him to join here).

I'm not taking anything away from the Stillen pieces, (+ with their name on it, you KNOW it's been tested for serious track work), these are the bomb. Just wondering if anyone else has tried the Girodiscs.

Options, it's good to have options.

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Well I got to put the AP Racing Brakes to the test on Thursday at PBIR. These brakes are the real deal. I will never say anything bad about the stock GT brakes. They are very good.

The AP Racing brakes are noticeably stronger.
I am fortunate to have two GT's the other one is a low mileage bone stocker. Before going to the track I drove both cars back to back on the street and the AP brakes offer more bite and will slow you down quicker that the stock set up.

On the AP Racing brakes worked flawlessly and were noticeably stronger and fade free. I was on this same track back in December with the stock brakes and difference in braking points and stopping G's was very noticeable. If you are going to do some track events or you have boosted your power these things can help bring you back down to a safe speed in a hurry !! :thumbsup

That's just what I need then.. I guess from the pics they are floaters too?? Definitely would need them to be floaters.

Shadowman, what is it with the Brembo discs and stock pistons? Is that a good solution as well, for a powered up and hard driven Autobahn/Autostrada GT?? (having Florida plates even in Italy I do as I like.. radartrap wise) or would you say I should bite the bullet and go for the AP racing kit..

Thanks guys for giving me some advise based on your immense experience here...

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
That's just what I need then.. I guess from the pics they are floaters too?? Definitely would need them to be floaters.

Shadowman, what is it with the Brembo discs and stock pistons? Is that a good solution as well, for a powered up and hard driven Autobahn/Autostrada GT?? (having Florida plates even in Italy I do as I like.. radartrap wise) or would you say I should bite the bullet and go for the AP racing kit..

Thanks guys for giving me some advise based on your immense experience here...

Hey Stefan,
Yes , they are full floaters. If you're back in Ft. Lauderdale any time soon feel free to contact me to check them out...:biggrin

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Hey Stefan,
Yes , they are full floaters. If you're back in Ft. Lauderdale any time soon feel free to contact me to check them out...:biggrin

Cool !
I will actually come early October !

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
As an alternative, I KNOW that Girodisc is now making 2 pc solid rotors to fit our cars and the stock calipers........so they'll fit any rims, and should give more stopping force.

Anybody use these?

http://www.girodisc.com/Rotors_c_345.html

Attachments

• GDFGT.jpg
    GDFGT.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 178

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
They are new to me, but seem like a nice option to have.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Subscribing, Look like nice pieces. Would like to know of first hand experience.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Anybody use these?

There's a guy in Calgary that's been using them for years on his GT on the track. He's loving them. I'll see if I can get him to comment. As an added bonus, they're fully FIVE (5) lbs lighter per corner for a very significant unsprung weight advantage!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
There's a guy in Calgary that's been using them for years on his GT on the track. He's loving them. I'll see if I can get him to comment. As an added bonus, they're fully FIVE (5) lbs lighter per corner for a very significant unsprung weight advantage!!!

I didn't see any part numbers or prices for the rotor section only. Do they sell that separately?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
$1200 For the fronts, $1000 for the rears.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
$1200 For the fronts, $1000 for the rears.

Those prices are complete rotors and hats. I was wondering if replacement rotors are sold without hats.