Another Black GT down

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I'm glad your going to be ok! But what happened to the front end of the car?

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Mark,

Glad to hear your okay. Moving around on crutches can be a pain. If you need anything do not hesitate to call.

yours,
Steve

PS I guess your going to have to replace her with a heritage to match the rest of the Texas guys. :biggrin

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Trailer Mate

Mark, just logged on and learned of your accident....

My California trailer mate is hurt! Crap....

I as all the others wish you a speedy recovery and your are in my prayers as well. Glad you can still post and give us all pause to reconsider our temptation with the right foot. (and we need pulleys and Whipples for what....?)

Give me a call if I can help in any way. And hope to join you again at next years Rally.

Bill

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
That's amazing. I have not seen a Yugo on the road for at least 10 years, and you actually have an interaction with one that causes you to wreck. Get better and good luck with rehab.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
That's shocking news and, like everyone else here, we're really very sorry to read of your injuries. I hope you make a good and swift recovery - it's horrid to think of one of our gang in pain...

A great shame that your black monster is wrecked - awful to see those pictures.

Your family must be very relieved you're OK, as we are..

Get well soon and log on to let us know how you're getting on.

My last accident involved me getting annoyed that someone was in my way - hoofed my Jag XKR and T-boned a 4X4 who had turned into my path. Nobody hurt - but left me thinking never to drive in anger. So it happens to us all mate.

All the best.....

Neil

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Very sorry to hear that you were hurt, but happy to hear that you were not more seriously injured. That could have happened to any of us.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My last accident involved me getting annoyed that someone was in my way - hoofed my Jag XKR and T-boned a 4X4 who had turned into my path...So it happens to us all mate.l

+1 ... minus the collision. 'Had the EXACT same thing happen on a rural highway. 'Guy pulled out of a hidden driveway & headed straight for me while I was in the process of passing a loon (who never should have been allowed on the road in the 1st place).

It was only by the grace of God - and the fact I was driving the GT - that I was able to 'tap & go' to complete the pass before everything "hit the fan" (...literally, I guess!). 'Scared the livin' crap outta me...

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Fubar,
I wish you a speedy recovery !! It's sad to see the GT in that state but it can be replaced you can't !!! We'll look forward to your return to the saddle !!!

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Thanks for all the prayers. I was certainly being watched over. I wish it were a heralding story but it's a rather pathetic end to a beautiful GT.

I was on a service road and someone in a POS yugo (or something like that) cut right in front of me. I changed lanes to get around 'her' but she changed lanes again in front of me. So this is when the stupid part of my brain takes over and I goose it to go around her. Temps were about 45-50 so the tires just spun and because I was off camber the car went sideways. I would be willing to bet the farm I wasn't going over 45mph when I lost control. I slide sideways toward the grassy embankment (slowing down the whole time) and then I hit a light pole with a concrete base. It tore that GT right in half.... it broke my leg and 4 bones in my face. All in all I'm lucky to be here.

If any of that sounded bitter, I didn't mean for it too. All I can do is laugh about it. I'm alive and the car will be replaced. I was the only dumbass that got hurt (thank god). Just remember to respect the power of these girls.

Thanks for taking the time to provide details of what occurred Mark. Again, glad you escaped with no perminent injuries ... or worse.

This is a lesson for all FGT pilots living in colder climates. Goodyear specifically notes that these OEM "Supercar" tires lose adhesion rapidly below 50 degrees F. We all need to be careful driving when the road surface is cold.

Here in Massachusetts, I'll be driving my car this weekend, then putting it away in my shop for the next 5 months until Spring arrives. My old 4WD Jeep beater will be my main source of transportaion until then. No sense driving the nice cars in the snow and salt we encounter up here in the frozen tundra.

usmcfred

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
I wrecked my GT Wednesday night. I will elaborate later but pain meds and a a bandaged right hand make it hard to type.

Good thing you've got just a couple of scrapes...car was'nt so lucky. A replacement car is currently on e-bay at $173,000.00. They seem to be going up in price the fewer cars that are around, Thanks for keeping my value high!
Best of luck,
Another solid black GT40.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Wow 40mph! was it head on, broadside or angle against pole. I think this is the the worst wreck to date. That Roush was a close second. The 2-part wreck in 2005 was before my time.

Mothballing it once temps go below 50 here.

Again, take it easy

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Wow man that really sucks.

I almost had the same thing happen since the cold front was here earlier this week. Was only in first part throttle so I was able to save it.

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
It was only by the grace of God - and the fact I was driving the GT

To all the naysayers out there...here's your evidence that Pockets has actually driven his GT. Now let's quit givin' the guy such a hard time.:biggrin

Yeah right...like that'll ever happen!!!

George Thomas

GT Owner
Aug 14, 2006
Santa Monica
Fubar; I do recognize your awesome lead in picture and the in-utero banging of gears, I am so glad to hear you are OK! Stunned by reading your note.

Since you experienced a shearing off of the noise piece, one hell of alot of force, your images gave me a much higher confidence in cabin integrity. And I hope that this relates to the degree of your injuries.

Sorry for your loss of the car but thank you for sharing your pictures.

Best regards,
Charles

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
To all the naysayers out there...here's your evidence that Pockets has actually driven his GT. Now let's quit givin' the guy such a hard time.:biggrin

Yeah right...like that'll ever happen!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH SHUDDUP!!!!! :mad

:lol :cheers

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH SHUDDUP!!!!! :mad

:lol :cheers

Hey, I got yer back Pockets! UHHH... I mean I've got yer back. Not, I've got yer "back pockets".

You know what I mean. I'm defending ya!

Anyway...we all hope Mark makes a speedy recovery and is able to climb back in the saddle again.:thumbsup

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Empty Pockets;96477 It was only by the grace of God - and the fact I was driving the GT - that I was able to 'tap & go' to complete the pass before everything "hit the fan" (...literally said:
EP- Have you driven a ford lately? :cheers

Cripes Mark - Wed Night I was in Richardson at the Silver Fox then went to Shuck & Jives that night off George Bush..... Knew it was a bad night and glad that everthing with you left you minor'ly damaged! All honesty everybody that day in Dallas was driving Psycho.... I saw three wrecks in from DFW to downtown at AT&T 1-3 and back to Plano two more, one of which I could have been in..

Whew - Hurry up and get back in the saddle!

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
EP- Have you driven a ford lately? :cheer

Uh -yes. As a matter of fact I have. It was a rental in Santa Barbara, but ...

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
mark--speedy recovery and thank whomever is looking over you
i agree with usmcfred, thanks to fubar, many of "us" should listen and learn

ciao for now
sam
#1451-------red/white(hibernating)

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
That's an incredible story, Mark. I know you're in pain but thankfully you're in one piece and hopefully well on your way to a full & complete recovery.

You're in our thoughts.

Take care.