Anal detailers —thoughts

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I believe in the advice of bartenders. Also cheaper than a therapist!

Ed

Reactions: Vince H

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I am currently having my NGT covered this week with Xpel. I have debated, researched and discussed this subject with numerous detailing and auto finishing experts. First, DON'T ceramic coat the car first prior to film installation. It is tough to bond the film to the paint, plus why add a protective coating to something that will have a thick protective film coating? You can, as FIKSE GT did put ceramic coating on top of the Xpel. However, as far as I am concerned many detailing experts have advised me against this as the thickness of the ceramic coating is such that it is a superb coating for your daily driver that is subject to rain, birds, multiple car washings, etc., etc. The detailers who know my exotic cars well have advised me not to waste my money on application over the Xpel. After much research, my plan is to use a product by GYEON - Gyon WetCoat from Autogeek. WetCoat is a highly hydrophobic (high water beading) product that is basically a spray/detailing mist. You spray it on and wipe it off with a clean microfiber towel. It repels all dirt, water, bird poop, etc. and can be re-applied after every wash (even though it lasts many washes). It is easy to use and you don't have to be like The Karate Kid (Wipe on Wipe off). Just spray the film for a nice shine and highly protective finish. Call me cheap, but I am trying this method first, as it works with my other cars very, very well.
Tim & Cheap are a oxymoron. Haha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Demolition Man

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 29, 2006
danville, CA
So I took delivery last Tuesday. Very excited to finally get my car. Now the second waiting period has begun. Need to get ppf installed before I start driving my new investment. Got a quote from my local guy who I have used in the past who does amazing work. Price seemed a bit high. What is the going rate to wrap an entire car? Just curious

Reactions: Vince H

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I believe in the advice of bartenders. Also cheaper than a therapist!

Ed

depends on how much you drink

Reactions: Ed Sims

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have multiple vehicles (including NGT) with ceramic coating over the wrap and wouldn’t have it any other way. If your gonna drive it than it’s a great way to go. Makes cleaning a breeze as well as not needing to clean as often. My $.02
IM with you on this chip!
I have Xpel and opti coat ceramic on the film. Works and looks awesome! The car stays clean and is very easy to clean as well

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
So I took delivery last Tuesday. Very excited to finally get my car. Now the second waiting period has begun. Need to get ppf installed before I start driving my new investment. Got a quote from my local guy who I have used in the past who does amazing work. Price seemed a bit high. What is the going rate to wrap an entire car? Just curious
Starts at $10K.

Ed

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
$6,000.. ,unless you do belly pans too

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Free. I charged mine to Special Ed while Heidi was shopping and he never noticed the blip on the credit card.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Free. I charged mine to Special Ed while Heidi was shopping and he never noticed the blip on the credit card.
I did notice that. Now you owe me a lot of drinks!

Ed

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
the real answer is that you will get different quotes from different people and also the nature of your geographic area may play a role in how much they would charge I have seen prices for full wrap range anywhere from 5500 to 12,000. if you are thinking that is a huge difference, and there really shouldn't be that much disparity, well then you are right.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Mine was closer to $12K as I had Clearplex placed as well as Xpel Ultimate (I didn't want film on the underside panels). I also had a few installers offer to do it for less but I chose one of the best guys I know & I flew him & his helper up from SoCal.

Ed

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Mine was done under $5000 by a guy who does all my cars. $10k is crazy imo

Demolition Man

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 29, 2006
danville, CA
Thanks guys, I appreciate your responses.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Mine was done under $5000 by a guy who does all my cars. $10k is crazy imo
California-All-Year-Round-Beautiful-Weather surcharge again!

Ed

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Keep in mind guys, You Get What You Pay For! To Wrap A Ford GT Perfectly, there is a lot of labor involved and wasted material!

Reactions: JWZ

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
…but NOT $10,000 worth..!!!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Tell me that Feb 6 when we are in Napa touring the wine country in 65℉ sunshine!

Ed

Reactions: JWZ

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I am currently having my NGT covered this week with Xpel. I have debated, researched and discussed this subject with numerous detailing and auto finishing experts. First, DON'T ceramic coat the car first prior to film installation. It is tough to bond the film to the paint, plus why add a protective coating to something that will have a thick protective film coating? You can, as FIKSE GT did put ceramic coating on top of the Xpel. However, as far as I am concerned many detailing experts have advised me against this as the thickness of the ceramic coating is such that it is a superb coating for your daily driver that is subject to rain, birds, multiple car washings, etc., etc. The detailers who know my exotic cars well have advised me not to waste my money on application over the Xpel. After much research, my plan is to use a product by GYEON - Gyon WetCoat from Autogeek. WetCoat is a highly hydrophobic (high water beading) product that is basically a spray/detailing mist. You spray it on and wipe it off with a clean microfiber towel. It repels all dirt, water, bird poop, etc. and can be re-applied after every wash (even though it lasts many washes). It is easy to use and you don't have to be like The Karate Kid (Wipe on Wipe off). Just spray the film for a nice shine and highly protective finish. Call me cheap, but I am trying this method first, as it works with my other cars very, very well.

Tim, Can you please provide an update on your findings regarding the use of GYEON on your GT after each wash? Any other update regarding the use of ceramic coating over Xpel would be appreciated.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Suntek Ultra has a hydrophobic exterior.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Im obviously not Tim, but Ill comment anyway. I got caught in the rain last summer in the 05, black, w Xpel, and Opticoat. I still have not washed it, and it doent look bad. I also I wanted to "sell myself" on this whole ceramic coating crap. So I had it done on a vehicle that is actually used. A Super Duty. No Xpel, but the stuff actually works. Truck stays cleaner, finish is harder (less susceptible to micro scratches), and comes clean easier. Wish it wasnt so expensive, or I would do everything.

Tim, Can you please provide an update on your findings regarding the use of GYEON on your GT after each wash? Any other update regarding the use of ceramic coating over Xpel would be appreciated.