kilgore tx
i would like to see a photo of the billet machined ones
anyone ?

steve

Last edited:

PROJECT321

Nov 13, 2008
Fresno, Ca
I would be interested in machining replacement arms from billet. The billet versions looked awesome and I was bummed when I saw the cast versions for the first time. 1st thing that came to my mind was - someone should make a billet replacement. Obviously, many owners could not justify the cost just for the aesthsetic aspect. But in the event of a minor accident or just worn ball joints it would be nice to have a nicer looking alternative.
My guess is we could do them for less cost than the oem castings that DBK is saying will be available soon. (especially if we could put together a group purchase)
Of course great care would need to be taken to ensure equal or greater strength for safety reasons.

Does anyone know what the cost of stock control-arms are or what aluminum was used on the cnc'd versions?

Thanks
Jake

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Upper arms or lower fronts?

PROJECT321

Nov 13, 2008
Fresno, Ca
Upper arms or lower fronts?

Jim, are you talking to me or Steved57?
We both asked questions and your reply could work for both.:confused

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
maybe one of the svt guys can "moon light" and design an arm that the parts can be changed on..... then someone can make them out of billet?

just tossing out ideas here.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Wanted to bring this post back from the dead. Wondering if anyone figured out a way to replace the bushings instead of the entire assembly.

DataDale

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 21, 2007
Dearborn Hgts.
Guy's your talking about Control arms here. Not bling, bling covers,plates, inserts or gas caps.
They fail and people my DIE !!! Replacement bushes & joints would have been nice. But redesigning the Arms to accomidate this is not possible.
Without Major OEM/SVT support And even then I don't know if it's possible. Actual space to have nuts, bolts or clips, to service the bushes & joint may not be in the actual space within the Wheels.
First you would need the front and rear corner data, all of it. Frame, Steering, Susp, Whls & Tires, Clearance envolopes.
Then Find joint & bush suppliers to support the Engineering. Then CAE modeling of the system & virtual testing would be required.
before you even start making chips.

FYI Matech had done this and had steel arms for sale last year. Don't know Who has the rights to all the Matech stuff now.
But some buddies selling parts for the Matech cars still racing.
I'll make a couple of calls across the pond and see what I can find out. I'll also, send a email to the Matech suspension designer that designed the steel arms.
see what his take on it is.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
BUT.... The Matech car weighs, what, approx 2400 lbs and also had a much wider track, vs a stock car at 3500lbs+! Not to mention potential NVH changes.

FYI Matech had done this and had steel arms for sale last year. Don't know Who has the rights to all the Matech stuff now.
But some buddies selling parts for the Matech cars still racing.
I'll make a couple of calls across the pond and see what I can find out. I'll also, send a email to the Matech suspension designer that designed the steel arms.
see what his take on it is.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
BUT.... The Matech car weighs, what, approx 2400 lbs and also had a much wider track, vs a stock car at 3500lbs+! Not to mention potential NVH changes.
But they were running MICHELINS!

DataDale

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 21, 2007
Dearborn Hgts.

Matech designed 3 different versions of the FGT. I'm not sure all were with track changes.
I beleive the change may have been in the Knukles or spindles or in the hub units. not the arms.
I Will send a email to there designer & check.

Just talked to H @ Robertson and he has designed Billet arms with replaceable bushs & joints.
That they use on there cars. Suggested that he check with Dave & Andrea about selling sets of them.

The race teams have the production FGT data, and have gone though the development steps.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Just talked to H @ Robertson and he has designed Billet arms with replaceable bushs & joints.
That they use on there cars. Suggested that he check with Dave & Andrea about selling sets of them.

How do I contact them? Thanks!

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
My GT has been down since February, apparently no new lower control arms are available.

I checked into FGT control arm supply today. I talked to Jerry at FCSD today and he checked the system and all arms are available in the Memphis distribution center. Jerry said that if arms are ordered through the Ford entry order system at a Ford dealer before 4 PM, then the arms should be at the dealer the next day by 8 AM. So, I am not sure why you have not gotten arms for the car over such a long period.

I have the following details for helping order FGT control arm assemblies:

Upper control arms- Service PN: 4G7Z- 3082-C: 9 in inventory in Memphis

Front lower control arms (RH)- Service PN: 4G7Z-3078-C: 4 in inventory in Memphis (3 pieces were delivered to Memphis in February)

Front lower control arms (LH)- Service PN: 4G7Z-3079-C: 6 in inventory in Memphis

Rear lower control arms (same left and right- but service shows as right hand)- Service PN: 4G7Z-5A649-C: 5 in inventory in Memphis (2 pieces delivered to Memphis in June)

Jerry said that the lead time for control arm assemblies is 45 days from the date of his order to delivery in Memphis distribution so he tries to keep a handful at all times.

The bushing supplier was changed about 2 years ago, so I am not sure how that topic came back up as a potential delay now.

Does anyone make after market steel control arms for the Ford GT. As many people who curb the rear of the cars, it might not be a bad idea?

Wow…no not to my knowledge. These are safety critical parts on any car yet alone a 200+ mph supercar. Serious, serious stuff. Shadowman is correct on the steel arms and one of the criteria to consider- you do not want to make them stronger or stiffer than the stock arms- they will have a very high chance of bending/breaking the very expensive frame and/or tearing out the mounts during a crash or hitting a big square edge pothole on the brakes. The arms bending and not breaking as well as not transferring as much energy to the rest of the car is as intended.

I have looked at doing some full chassis systems recently including GT control arm options, but the market appeared extremely small and the engineering design and development is very significant. For example, Jerry noted that they sold 7 of the rear lower control arms this year so far- a very small number. And Ford will supply them for at least 10 years past production (Ford corporate policy versus law). There may be discussion on Ford supplying the current forged arms longer, but it is not clear yet.

I have read through this whole thread and will work to post replies in the next few days to some of the items in this thread including design, development and production considerations and why, for example, the FGT control arm joints are not serviceable. I assume you want to meet or exceed the OEM safety, function, crashability, NVH- noise vibration and harshness and aesthetics (sounds like billet looks or better). To be clear, billet arms are not remotely just a machining exercise...I led the billet arms design and production on FGT after we had manufacturing issues with the original supplier that could not be resolved quickly.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
And Ford will supply them for at least 10 years past production (Ford corporate policy versus law). There may be discussion on Ford supplying the current forged arms longer, but it is not clear yet.

I hope so considering the lack of serviceability Which I am anxious to learn why.

I have read through this whole thread and will work to post replies in the next few days to some of the items in this thread including design, development and production considerations and why, for example, the FGT control arm joints are not serviceable. I assume you want to meet or exceed the OEM safety, function, crashability, NVH- noise vibration and harshness and aesthetics (sounds like billet looks or better). To be clear, billet arms are not remotely just a machining exercise...I led the billet arms design and production on FGT after we had manufacturing issues with the original supplier that could not be resolved quickly.

Looking forward to learning the how and whys on these issues. Thank you for taking the time like you did on wheel offsets and suspension loads.
I am curious. Are you still part of Corporate Ford? I ask because you live in Wisconsin. We are lucky to have you reading these threads (which can take a long time) and answering technical questions for us.

ppr2803

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2011
Manila, Philippines
May I ask approximately +/- how many GT's have the billet arms installed? Thank you.

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
May I ask approximately +/- how many GT's have the billet arms installed? Thank you.

It was a little under 1000 car sets that we supplied billet arms on the cars. We were competing against Boeing at the time for aluminum.

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
I am curious. Are you still part of Corporate Ford? I ask because you live in Wisconsin. We are lucky to have you reading these threads (which can take a long time) and answering technical questions for us.

I am glad to try to help here when I can.

I left Ford in Spring of 2006 after 12 years there and went on my own. Ford was great to me, but primarily the fun ran out after the GT. I spent the 2006 IRL season with Rahal Letterman racing. I was a chassis/vehicle dynamics engineer for Team Rahal with Ford Racing for the 5 years before the FGT work that started in 2002... back when ChampCar was very cool. IRL was no fun. I have had a contract with Ford Racing for the last 5 years assigned to Roush Fenway (Carl Edwards, Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle, David Ragan) and now Richard Petty Motorsports (Marcos Ambrose and AJ Almendinger) in NASCAR Sprint Cup. I do vehicle dynamics (car setup recommendations) and chassis design work. It is a good challenge (not a spec series like people believe...but the IRL is a spec series). I am a fortunate guy to get to live where I want. The downside is a lot more travel.

I have to go work the rest of the day, but will try to answer the serviceability first later today or tomorrow. And the rest. Takes me time to write clearly and concisely...both of which I struggle with at times!

Scott

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Great info. Thank you.

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
GT Control Arms- Non-service Joints Reasoning

Hopefully the attached 1-pager explain some of the primary criteria and thought process on why the GT arm joints are not serviceable...I was going to paste it in here, but I could not get the formatting reasonable. Likely operator error and lack of experience posting here. Please let me know if you have questions about this reasoning.

Note- we did think of everyone on one service item where there was no compromise- the control arms can be removed from the knuckles without any special tools (balljoint splitter) that typically damage the boots. The upper ball joints and the front lower balljoint use a 90 deg tapered cone to connect to the knuckles, so the joint falls apart when the nut is removed.

Scott

Attachments

• GT_ArmsNotServiceable_101611.pdf
    99.3 KB · Views: 269

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thank you.