Aftermarket Control Arms

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
#1153 has the sexy billet control arms, they are works of art, why would I want to change them? Am I missing something?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
#1153 has the sexy billet control arms, they are works of art, why would I want to change them? Am I missing something?

For if and when you wear them out that's why you need them!

...... BTW - I have and love the billeted ones. I know Fubar does also. Sorry Matt

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Jesus how did I get drawn in way down here :(

Yes Ford said they would have parts for 7 years but they never said what the cost would be.....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There will be new replacement control arms available soon. I know this for a fact.

hmg_57

GT Owner
May 6, 2007
There will be new replacement control arms available soon. I know this for a fact.

Are we talking about OEM or aftermarket units ?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Would having stronger arms pose any risk in damaging anything else in the event of an goof?

I don't know if this was a design goal, but one could design the arms to be strong enough to withstand normal operations and fatigue, but just weak enough to break before damaging the frame. This philosophy is used on many fire hydrants and street poles, such has traffic light to minimize impact dangers to car passengers.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Are we talking about OEM or aftermarket units ?

OEM. I can't remember if it was the original supply company went out of business or what, but I know that they have been durability testing new replacement control arms to supply people with in the event they get in an accident or have some other reason they need to replace them. I have no idea how long it takes but they are definitely in process.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
My understanding is that the OEM must (by law) be able to supply repair parts for vehicles for 15 years from the date that the final vehicle was produced. In our case, 2006.
AJB

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
My understanding is that the OEM must (by law) be able to supply repair parts for vehicles for 15 years from the date that the final vehicle was produced. In our case, 2006.
AJB

Don't confuse the law with reality. At times they are very different.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
I see no significant reason for concern

In normal operation control arms are not a wear item however in the case of these gals the ball joints and as I understand the bushings are not a service item as such when these normal wear items expire the control arm assembly will need to be replaced.

Now as for whether there is a better piece in the pipeline; I would see no reason for it but rather maybe an alternate vendor as DBK explained.

So would I want a stronger control arm; the only word that comes to mind is why. There are no issues with them and to create a stronger arm will in fact transfer impact related stress to another point which I personally would not be in favor of.

The only change that would be nice is allowing the typical wear items to be replaced independent of the arm i.e. the ball joint and the bushings otherwise I remain all smiles

Takes care

Shadowman

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Could not a talented machinist take an OEM c/arm & modify it to accept replacement bushings & ball joints? I find it hard to believe this would not be possible...

mardyn

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Could not a talented machinist take an OEM c/arm & modify it to accept replacement bushings & ball joints? I find it hard to believe this would not be possible...

mardyn
+1

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

mardyn

Agreed!

I don't see anything very unique about the assembly - it appears that they are sweated and pressed in place. It would seem that assembly of new bushings and ball joints could be accomplished by the same techniques as the originals were installed, once the worn parts were removed.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
OEM. I can't remember if it was the original supply company went out of business or what, but I know that they have been durability testing new replacement control arms to supply people with in the event they get in an accident or have some other reason they need to replace them. I have no idea how long it takes but they are definitely in process.

I believe Roush machined the beautiful billet units used on the '05 cars.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
OK dudes, I got my info slightly wrong, but there WILL be new control replacement control arms shortly. They are the same ones we've always had. The deal was something (unknown) went sour between the supplier of the bushings and the supplier of the arms, so instead of dealing with that mess, they just got a new bushing supplier. They had to test and make sure the new ones performed identical to the old bushings, so that was the hold up on getting them.

That's the story.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Ok now I'm bummed. You mean when I wear out a bushing I have to give up my billet a-arms? Man, then I'll have to be like Matt and Dave T running around on those "ugly" ones. :lol

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Ok now I'm bummed. You mean when I wear out a bushing I have to give up my billet a-arms? Man, then I'll have to be like Matt and Dave T running around on those "ugly" ones. :lol

I thought you were trying to sell your GT.

No worry then.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I thought you were trying to sell your GT.

No worry then.

Changing colors.

again. :lol

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

Noooooooooooo:ack

Seriously, I will find a way to add replacement bushing. I have talked way to much trash to have the '06 A-Arms.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
hehehehe.....Mark's going to be a normal....hehehehe