Aftermarket Control Arms

Carnut

FORD GT OWNER
Jan 19, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
My GT has been down since February, apparently no new lower control arms are available.

Does anyone make after market steel control arms for the Ford GT. As many people who curb the rear of the cars, it might not be a bad idea?

Aug 25, 2006
My GT has been down since February, apparently no new lower control arms are available.

Does anyone make after market steel control arms for the Ford GT. As many people who curb the rear of the cars, it might not be a bad idea?

Are you saying that you have not been able to get a replacement control arm since last February or that she has been down and this is simply one of the issues?

Now as for the idea of a heavier constructed steel control arm; this is likely not a good idea.

Let me know and I will see what I can do

Takes care

Shadowman

Carnut

FORD GT OWNER
Jan 19, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
Are you saying that you have not been able to get a replacement control arm since last February or that she has been down and this is simply one of the issues?

Now as for the idea of a heavier constructed steel control arm; this is likely not a good idea.

Let me know and I will see what I can do

Takes care

Shadowman

It has been down with other issues too, the control arm being one of them. By steel I meant chrome moly also, I can't imagine it being much heavier than aluminum, certainly would take abuse better.

Aug 25, 2006
It has been down with other issues too, the control arm being one of them. By steel I meant chrome moly also, I can't imagine it being much heavier than aluminum, certainly would take abuse better.

Understood

Now as for the steel versus the OEM aluminum; I was not clear and for this I apologize.

What I should have said is; I do not know whether a aftermarket control arm that can take greater abuse than the OEM piece is a good idea because of the chassis design and the manner in which they are integrated; my concern would be that if the control arm were made stronger then the damage is likely to migrated into the chassis.

Damage to the chassis would be ……… not good

Takes care

Shadowman

freeflyer

GT Owner/ Forum Sponsor
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 12, 2007
Montana
They could be CNC'd for a solid billet of aluminum. Expensive but doable.

Carnut

FORD GT OWNER
Jan 19, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
Understood

Now as for the steel versus the OEM aluminum; I was not clear and for this I apologize.

What I should have said is; I do not know whether a aftermarket control arm that can take greater abuse than the OEM piece is a good idea because of the chassis design and the manner in which they are integrated; my concern would be that if the control arm were made stronger then the damage is likely to migrated into the chassis.

Damage to the chassis would be ……… not good

Takes care

Shadowman

Good point, thanks.

Carnut

FORD GT OWNER
Jan 19, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
They could be CNC'd for a solid billet of aluminum. Expensive but doable.

That's also a possibility, I been checking into a few shops that could do this.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I believe the same arms are used on all 4 corners. The upper control arms are all the same and the 2 lowers are mirror images of one another. The stock pieces do not have replaceable ball joints, so as the fleet mileage builds, more arms will be needed.

CNC arms in small volumes may be less than what Ford charges with the GT tax. Maybe a group buy? I would be nice if the new design has replaceable ball joints.

freeflyer

GT Owner/ Forum Sponsor
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 12, 2007
Montana
If there is enough interest I'll work on the Drawings and Pricing.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
If there is enough interest I'll work on the Drawings and Pricing.

Here we go again! :thumbsup :biggrin :cheers

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Geez, I sure hope that we don't need to find stuff like this so soon that would be pretty disappointing.

I would bet it just a issue with the mfg or even the buyer. Ford is obligated for quite some time to make these parts available. I would try calling the GT hotline if it is still open. Something does not sound right here. Plus Roush also has the Billet replacement arms CNC files, Ford has a couple ways to supply these over the next several years.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
With the posting -

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=145468&highlight=Canada#post145468

I would think there should be many parts available somewhere....

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Someone has a program for machined control arms from the early production debacle. Stillen had some trick billet control arms. I am not sure if they were for the GT ??

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa

I think the early cars had issues with cracking of the control arms. Didn't Ford cover those under a recall? As suggested, if your Ford dealer doesn't show Ford as having any in stock I would give a call to SVT. They are very helpful ! :thumbsup

Carnut

FORD GT OWNER
Jan 19, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
My dealer told me that Ford currently is not making any replacements.

IMO, there will be a market for them eventually, especially if the ball joints are not replaceable.

And as you said, the GT tax maybe astronomical.

Carnut

FORD GT OWNER
Jan 19, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
I think the early cars had issues with cracking of the control arms. Didn't Ford cover those under a recall? As suggested, if your Ford dealer doesn't show Ford as having any in stock I would give a call to SVT. They are very helpful ! :thumbsup

I'll give SVT a call Monday.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you don't know, the big GT parts warehouse is in Memphis. The fact that your local doesn't know anything is no surprise. Remember, most of the dealers think you're talking about a Mustang. Saleen in Troy, MI is probably the place to contact. You're probably also better off dealing with a dealership that used to be an SVT dealership.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
The original 2005 CNC a-arms that were used to replace the recalled parts.
Were made by Roush industries in Livonia Michigan. With tool path information supplied by Ford SVT.

There is no way that a start up could re-invent the process for less money than Roush could.

The best way to make this happen. Would be to press the SVT people to take care of its owners.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
There is no way that a start up could re-invent the process for less money than Roush could.

The best way to make this happen. Would be to press the SVT people to take care of its owners.

Agreed, but I would bet that with a 3D scanner and carefully measurements, arms could be made where the production cost would be less than Ford's retail pricing. The point is moot, since currently you can find neither.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

True - for the first 499 cars which were all resolved before 90% left the dealers showroom.....