a question on a 05 GT...overheating

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
When you go to order the 05 grille you will now get a supeceded number that get you the late 05-06 grille you are looking for. From what I understand the early grille is no longer available.

You can also run with just removing the grille, but I think your customer would appriecate it if you changed it out for him and gave him his old one back.

Didn't know they made a different one - thought they went from grille to no grille (gee, wonder what the charge is for a late 06 grille).

Looked at trying it with mine off. Looks like the front splitter needs to come off? Only saw there 3 upper torex screw holding, but nothing below.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, the chin spoiler has to come off. There are some old posts with pictures about this.

Aug 25, 2006
Didn't know they made a different one - thought they went from grille to no grille (gee, wonder what the charge is for a late 06 grille).

Looked at trying it with mine off. Looks like the front splitter needs to come off? Only saw there 3 upper torex screw holding, but nothing below.

Sadly in order to remove the grill the front bumper must be removed as it is secured from within. The process is not difficult (except the fender liners can be a PITA) and then in the end your gal will be happier when being exercised.

BTW Ed Sims recently went through the process and found the combined results to be very worth while.

Takes care

Shadowman

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
Sadly in order to remove the grill the front bumper must be removed as it is secured from within. The process is not difficult (except the fender liners can be a PITA) and then in the end your gal will be happier when being exercised.

BTW Ed Sims recently went through the process and found the combined results to be very worth while.

Takes care

Shadowman

I changed the grill on mine to 06 and did not help.....Heffner muffler and two bottoles of Purple ICe did help.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston

Takes care

Shadowman

I changed the grill on mine to 06 and did not help.....Heffner exhaust and two bottles of Purple ICe did help.

Aug 25, 2006
I changed the grill on mine to 06 and did not help.....Heffner muffler and two bottoles of Purple ICe did help.

By chance did you also reduce the coolant to water mix percentage at the same time?

Can I assume that Purple Ice is similar to redlines Wetter Water?

Lastly; there is NO doubt that installing a Heffner or AccuFab style cat back exhaust piece will significantly reduce the engine bay temperatures.

Thank you for sharing your experience

Takes care

Shadowman

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
this is not for my car but a customer of mine at our dealership
he said that when drove hard in the heat that the car gets a little on the hot side temperature wise.........he said another GT owner told him that the grate in front of the Radiator had to small of holes in the mesh that is in the air intake and that there is a newer version that has larger holes for more airflow......can any of you point me in the right direction on where to find these

Sustained high RPM's and air conditioner OFF will result in higher temps. The grill can also contribute. I did not have the grill on any of my cars, but wanted to protect the radiator, so I made my own grill using aluminum gutter guard, larger mesh than the original stock, and it works. Most people can't see it on my front end, because it is painted black. (Cost: $4.00) Satisfaction: Priceless.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
grill/screen on or off

Removing my 05 rad screen made for noticably lower engine temps on the road & track. It wasn't easy removing it though as the fender liners & front bumper have to be removed first. I didn't put the 06 screen on.

I also have an Ida (any non huge muffler system will help) exhaust & lower coolant to water ratio plus Shadowman/HP tune.

Ed

road racer

GT Owner
May 22, 2007
Franklin, TN
TIM, read your post about the self-made radiator screen. I have been concerned about long term protection because we have all seen the radiators that over time collected tiny rocks, trash, bug parts,etc and the resulting rise in temps. Been thinking about trying your trick, so I'm curious about your technique. Did you just set the "grill" in place or bolt it in? What? How? Thanks for any input and guidance. I know if you did it, it was done right. Thanks again.

Last edited:

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
TIM, read your post about the self-made radiator screen. I have been conserned about long term protection because we have all seen the radiators that over time collected tiny rocks, trash, bug parts,etc and the resulting rise in temps. Been thinking about trying your trick, so I'm curious about your technique. Did you just set the "grille" in place or bolt it in? What? How? Thanks for any input and guidance. I know if you did it, it was done right. Thanks again.

I cut the mesh to size, and it is fairly rigid, yet flexible enough to move it around. I cut it exactly to the opening size, then drilled two small set screw holes in the middle of the metal up-right braces in front of the radiator. I used two black trim screws (metal screws) with black washers the just screwed them in through one of the openings in the mesh. It holds beautifully, and leaves only two 1/32" holes than could be re-filled and painted black if you want to make the car perfectly stock again.

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Can some one post a pic of what this grill looks like on both an 05 and 06? I have an 05' and don't have any type of grill on mine. Just some black thin uprights and I can touch the radiator. In fact I've cleaned it off many times already of road debris. As far as I know, this is the way the car came form the factory.

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Pictures would be great. I think you are lucky if you get more than 20 minutes on the track before overheating. Also does anyone have the part number for the replacement grill?
On my bonneville and vintage road race cars we use Purple Ice by Royal Purple ( we use the oil too) and it works great, I am going to make the switch on my GT

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
all GTs came with full screen or open screen/frame

jdoc7 - I believe all GTs came from Ford with the full screen in front of the radiator or the open screen. The open one is on the later production GTs (aka 06). The 3 round upright support pieces are covered either by the full screen or the open screen. By open screen I mean there is a one piece black steel frame that covers the opening edges & the uprights. You can stick your hand through the opening to touch the radiator. If you can see the round uprights then you have nothing. Someone along the way took it off (which isn't easy to do).

Ed