a question on a 05 GT...overheating

LUKE D

Aug 13, 2007
this is not for my car but a customer of mine at our dealership
he said that when drove hard in the heat that the car gets a little on the hot side temperature wise.........he said another GT owner told him that the grate in front of the Radiator had to small of holes in the mesh that is in the air intake and that there is a newer version that has larger holes for more airflow......can any of you point me in the right direction on where to find these

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
early 05 had a tighter grill. Was removed due to when tracking a car it would get warmer.....

Around town it should have no impact. If you do take it off - I'll take it :biggrin

FLASH

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 29, 2006
Atlanta, Ga.
Do a search on Water Temp and you will get a thread on possible fixes and causes. Could be that the large radiator hose going into the engine is collapsing.
Flash :cheers

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
YEAH THAT GRILL IS CRAP , ILL GIVE YOU DOUBLE THAN THE OTHER GUY IF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF IT :biggrin GTJOEY 1314:thumbsup P.S. THE ONLY THING THAT OVERHEATED WAS FORDS CHECK BOOK WHEN THEY PRODUCED MORE THAN 1,500 CARS AND ONLY ORDERED THE FIRST BATCH:thumbsup OOPPS , BUT THATS JUST A RUMOR:biggrin DOUBLE P.S. 05 GT AND RUNS AT 170 ALLLLL DAY IN 100 DEGREE HEAT ,I MUST HAVE A DEFECTIVE GRILL:biggrin GTJOEY 1314

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
YEAH THAT GRILL IS CRAP , ILL GIVE YOU DOUBLE THAN THE OTHER GUY IF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF IT :biggrin GTJOEY 1314:thumbsup P.S. THE ONLY THING THAT OVERHEATED WAS FORDS CHECK BOOK WHEN THEY PRODUCED MORE THAN 1,500 CARS AND ONLY ORDERED THE FIRST BATCH:thumbsup OOPPS , BUT THATS JUST A RUMOR:biggrin DOUBLE P.S. 05 GT AND RUNS AT 170 ALLLLL DAY IN 100 DEGREE HEAT ,I MUST HAVE A DEFECTIVE GRILL:biggrin GTJOEY 1314

Nope, I dont see it that way at all. It's that you only drive the car in perfect weather. Rumor is Empty Pockets will soon have more miles than you GTJOEY and he just broke 600+! :rofl:rofl

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
coolany temps

Luke - do a search on this forum for water temps, etc. Remove the 05 front rad screen & change out the OEM 3:4 coolant:water with 1:4 & Redline Water Wetter for sub 200 temps.

Ed

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Luke - do a search on this forum for water temps, etc. Remove the 05 front rad screen & change out the OEM 3:4 coolant:water with 1:4 & Redline Water Wetter for sub 200 temps.

Ed

Ed, do you have experience with this mixture? I've never used Redline water wetter but I've heard it works>

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
temps. etc

DBT GT - I'm using the mixture right now. 1:4 Ford coolant to distilled water with Water Wetter. One bottle of Water Wetter in the SC coolant & 2 bottles in the engine coolant. Shadowman likes to go 1:5 with more Water Wetter I believe.

Ed

http://redlineoil.com for Water Wetter info

Aug 25, 2006
Yes it works

Now as for the 05 grill versus the later and 06 without; I was told by The GT Guys that the early gals with the OEM grill were not able to complete the typical 20 minute track sessions on a warm day however once the grill was removed they were able to do so.

Now as for the percentage of water versus coolant and then the addition of Wetter Water as I use it; Ed is correct that as long as the climate allows it I like 20% coolant and then in the case of the GTs 1 Wetter Water in the inter-cooler system and 2 in the primary cooling system. In addition I always use distilled water to keep mineral deposits within the system down

Takes care

Shadowman

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
MAD IN NC , JUST POPPED THE BABY OVER THE 1,600 MARK, FEELS GOOD, HOW ABOUT WE MEAT IN NC OFF 95 ON THE WAY TO SEBRING AND DO A RALLY RUN? WE HAVE CARSON, MYSELF , ESCMAN, RED 1442, SOUNDS GOOD? GTJOEY 1314:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Nope, I dont see it that way at all. It's that you only drive the car in perfect weather. Rumor is Empty Pockets will soon have more miles than you GTJOEY and he just broke 600+! :rofl:rofl

Ye be behind in yur info, oh Bearded One! 'Now over 700 I'll have you know ... :slap

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Too Many Miles???

Ye be behind in yur info, oh Bearded One! 'Now over 700 I'll have you know ... :slap

Grandpa MT Pockets has more miles pushing his really cute grand baby in the stroller than he has on his GT.

He's got his priorities straight.:cheers

Sir Larry of Whatcom -- Come down to Bowen Scarff Ford this next Saturday for their Annual All Ford car show. All low mileage GT's are welcome. It's a sold out pre-register show but I am quite sure I know the right people at Bown Scarff and could find a way to squeeze you in. 250 cars entered with a 100 car wait list. I may also bring Betty Ford along, (aka my 1950 Custom Deluxe) as I just got the steering box back yesterday. BTW EP, she has 94k on her -- in 57 years.

Guaranteed "slow speed - no burn out" Valet parking by PL510*Jeff. No tipping allowed.:bs

Personal note:please make sure the fuel tank is full, as the first available "safe" ding free parking spot is 2 blocks west of City Hall ---in Ocean Shores!

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
When you go to order the 05 grille you will now get a supeceded number that get you the late 05-06 grille you are looking for. From what I understand the early grille is no longer available.

You can also run with just removing the grille, but I think your customer would appriecate it if you changed it out for him and gave him his old one back.

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
MAD IN NC , JUST POPPED THE BABY OVER THE 1,600 MARK, FEELS GOOD, HOW ABOUT WE MEAT IN NC OFF 95 ON THE WAY TO SEBRING AND DO A RALLY RUN? WE HAVE CARSON, MYSELF , ESCMAN, RED 1442, SOUNDS GOOD? GTJOEY 1314:thumbsup

Be sure to grab Sam - When you go through Smithfield in NC on 95 I'll be there waiting to join the run... :cheers

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
this is not for my car but a customer of mine at our dealership
he said that when drove hard in the heat that the car gets a little on the hot side temperature wise.........he said another GT owner told him that the grate in front of the Radiator had to small of holes in the mesh that is in the air intake and that there is a newer version that has larger holes for more airflow......can any of you point me in the right direction on where to find these

I have always had a problem with running hot.......used to be close to 245....after much doing I finally got it down to about 210... but in bumper to bumper traffic...I will go to 235/240 still.... An interesting thing, if you check the temperature with an external measuring device, you will find that the gauge is off. Mine is almost 9 degrees at 240.......which means it is actually at about 231......after much ado, If the car is running at about 60mph, the car will cool down to 200/205...I was out this sunday in 95 degree weather, and that's what I found. I just dont get, someone saying that in 90 degree weather their car is running at 170 or 180.. are you all sure the motor is running? These cars just run hot.

Gino

Aug 25, 2006
I have always had a problem with running hot.......used to be close to 245....after much doing I finally got it down to about 210... but in bumper to bumper traffic...I will go to 235/240 still.... An interesting thing, if you check the temperature with an external measuring device, you will find that the gauge is off. Mine is almost 9 degrees at 240.......which means it is actually at about 231......after much ado, If the car is running at about 60mph, the car will cool down to 200/205...I was out this sunday in 95 degree weather, and that's what I found. I just dont get, someone saying that in 90 degree weather their car is running at 170 or 180.. are you all sure the motor is running? These cars just run hot.

Gino

Gino you are correct; these gals do tend to run warm and the situation that you shared regarding the gauge calibration or better put; the lack thereof is also true.

More and more OEM's have integrated gauges however most do not sweep accurately but rather work more light a mechanical idiot light. With is having been shared the significant variance in readings between one gal and another will more times than not have to do with the sensor/gauge calibration.

Now add to this the fact that gals of today are designed and expected to run MUCH hotter when compared to days gone past; the idea of keeping these gals in the 170 degree range will not happen. If I were to speculate I would say that most find their sweet spot around 190-195 F during casual driving and then quickly rise as she is exercised.

Lastly; the grill as designed on the early 05 have been proven to cause an air dam of sorts as the result significantly reduces the air across the heat exchanger/radiator as such the gals run warmer under extreme situations. However during normal day to day driving the adverse affect of having the grill in place is likely minimal at best

Takes care

Shadowman

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Here in Phx, Harley Cluxton said that there would be more improvement if you took the screen off behind the fans. He said that the fans can pull the air through the radiator better if they are not having to force the air through the screens. He pointed out the F-50 as an example...no screen after the extractor fans. He said other high performance cars have deleted the "post fan" screens. Anyone have an opinion on this? Any experience?

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Great question on the rear screen, beat me to it. Of course, leaves might get down into the fan area but that seems to be a detailing issue to keep clean. Also, if I remove the front screen (05) do I need to do anything from an appearance standpoint? I must admit I did not go to look closely before posting this. The later cars have the open look with the supports. Should I get the later treatment and install it?

And no thanks but I will keep whatever screens I take off.:biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Gino, you know, you wouldn't have to run your car so fast if you could get up on time and be where you're supposed when you're supposed to be there. You might avoid traffic jams as well. Your buddy, Frank

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Gino, you know, you wouldn't have to run your car so fast if you could get up on time and be where you're supposed when you're supposed to be there. You might avoid traffic jams as well. Your buddy, Frank

Frank,

Yes u are absolutely right...i do have a problem in getting up early and then speed to catch everyone else...lol.. but that's half the fun...the chase...lol

I love you 2 Frank.....

Best regards to the family and hope to see you soon.

Gino