300 mph club

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Why all the fuss about a modified Bugatti Chiron going 304 mph? To do it they had special made tires & used the 12 mile long (5.4 mi long straightaway) Ehra-Lessien track in Germany. Our own Mark used a standing mile to get his '05-06 GT over 300 mph on Hoosiers that you & I can buy.

Ed

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
There is a big difference in running a car for 5 miles above 200mph to 300mph versus doing it in one mile. I suspect the distance it took was to get as much data as possible to incorporate it into newer models as one does not just go out there and do 300mph every day in a car on a road. Typically the only tires designed and tested to go that fast are on salt flat cars. Koniegsegg went 277 average in 1.25 miles with just 1300hp. The bugatti is a tank tho. Cool feat none the less.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I don't think the Chiron could get to 300 mph in only 1 mile. There is only one street car that I know able to do it.

Ed

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
I think this is the best...…. Just a little humor for a Tuesday... NO doubt doing 300mph in anything is fast and nothing taken away from the Chiron.

Attachments

• 300mph Ford GT.JPG
    300mph Ford GT.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 52

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Andy Wallace has some experience at that track. This is a favorite video of mine:

Reactions: Ed Sims

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
here is my take on the matter

it is laughable to compare marks car to the 300mph chiron as far as speed and acceleration goes.. let me just say that marks car is by far, and i mean not even close, way faster both in acceleration and it top speed. given a 5 mile stretch, taking tires out of the equation, marks car will probably max out above 350 mph maybe even more closer to 370. marks car makes somewhere in the neighborhood of 3500hp which is needed to push through the air at those speeds. most cars will hit the limit as soon as they hit the air barrier and just dont have anymore power to push through. now as for the chiron it is a great feat to achieve 300mph in a road car with all the luxuries of a buggati no other car maker can make that claim and that is something very special but to compare that car to marks race car and claim that they are about the same... as I said earlier is laughable.

the chiron wouldnt even break 250 in the standing mile...

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
I believe anything over 300 is a thrill, no matter how you do it!Time slip.jpg

Cheers,

Eddie

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Eddie someone beat your reaction time? :) who was in the left lane? or was that just the shadow of your car trying to catch up in the quarter mile? :)

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I would also like to know how much hp it takes to make that pass? 6000?

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Eddie someone beat your reaction time? :) who was in the left lane? or was that just the shadow of your car trying to catch up in the quarter mile? :)

Well, Yes and no.

That was Hartley in the other lane.

He was staged DEEP -very close to the starting line, so as soon as the car moved- at all- it stopped the "reaction" timer and started the Elapsed time clock. Looks good for "reaction" time, bad for elapsed time because the car is barely moving when the elapsed time clock starts.

I was staged SHALLOW, just as far back-away- from the starting line as is possible and still have both the pre-stage and the stage lights lit. So I get the maximum "rollout" head start before it stops the "reaction" timer and starts the elapsed time clock. Looks bad for "reaction" time, but will yield the best elapsed time because the car is moving faster when the elapsed time clock starts, with that little extra bit of "rollout" or head start.

During the all-important qualifying runs, the drivers that stage shallow have the best chance of the best qualifying position that the car can deliver.

The published "reaction times" have more to do with how the drivers stage the cars, than any real difference the time it takes for each driver to achieve wide open throttle, after seeing the glow begin in the center of the start light bulb.

A much more meaningful and relevant number is the sum of the "reaction" time and the 60 foot time, because that tells you how long each driver and car took, to cover the first 60 feet, after the starting light bulb began to glow in the center.

My time card here is a perfect illustration. Hartley's "reaction" time of .498 added to his 60 foot time of 1.023 equals 1.521 seconds.

My .546 "reaction" time added to my 60 foot time of .844 equals 1.390 second to get to 60 foot. My quicker 60 foot by .131 seconds (sum of my reaction time and 60 foot time) looms large to me, because I have won, and lost, races by .001 second.

Admittedly his car was not performing as well as mine on that run, but he did get to 330 foot in well under 3 seconds, so the majority of his problems were after the 330. I don't think his 60 foot time was off much, so I think this is a valid illustration of the deep vs. shallow staging scenario.

What a wordy answer to such a short question!

Cheers,

Eddie

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I didnt ask the question, but I appreciate the answer!

Reactions: Copenhagen GT

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
thank you Eddie,

learn something new everyday...

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
I dont post much here, but always enjoy reading what others post.

Eddie, your response was very educational. I am taking all three of my boys to the upcoming NHRA Finals in Ennis Texas and will be explaining this very subject to them.

Thank you

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What a wordy answer to such a short question!

Cheers,

Eddie

That's just ONE of the reasons we all love ya, Eddie!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Meh... we should put those acceleration times into perspective... and I can show you how I can beat the legend in a pulley/tuned GT.

Give me about a mile and half before the start line and let me see if I can ring the neck of the GT and get it to 200MPH crossing the start line at the same time that Eddie is just starting. I f'g FLY past him and wave. Toast!! But, in the next 4.5 seconds, that dot in my mirror gets real large, real fast. I cross the finish line a whopping .02 seconds ahead of Eddie - just as he's passing me at a delta of 123 mph. Amazing.

Reactions: soroush

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
My 0 to 270 in 3.0 is pretty stout, but one thing that I marvel at, is the fact that it will still be pulling over 1 gee at 300MPH!

Reactions: soroush

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I cross the finish line a whopping .02 seconds ahead of Eddie - just as he's passing me at a delta of 123 mph.

...hoping the force of the sidedraft from Eddie's car doesn't instantly knock you off the track as it goes by. ;-)

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
My 0 to 270 in 3.0 is pretty stout, but one thing that I marvel at, is the fact that it will still be pulling over 1 gee at 300MPH!
the acceleration of those cars is just simply insane... people that never get to be behind the wheel will never understand what its like.. i remember seeing a vid of the fuel pumps on the car dumping fuel and the sheer amount of fuel consumed was a sight to see.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Incredible. Makes my 8-second Hemi Dart seem like a Sunday driver. Good stuff, Eddie!

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Great thread.
Personally I’m not that impressed with the Bugatti performance given the crazy money they invested and charge.