2020 performance difference

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
Has anyone tested the difference the modifications made to the newer cars? 0 to 60...Quarter mile...at the track ect. It wouldnt seem like much, but you just wouldnt know till you do some tests. Also when they tweaked the engine programing, did they improve the launch control?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
What is the launch control issue? I have not noticed any problem.

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
What is the launch control issue? I have not noticed any problem.
Brooks from Drag Times said he felt the 0 to 60 times and 1/4 mile times could be improved if the car could be launched harder. He should know, hes done it more than enough

Rstomp

GT Owner
Nov 30, 2019
Naples, FL
I would not count on Brooks' opinion. He sold his car a bad mouthed Ford in the process. Took his profit and ran

Reactions: steved57

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
It’s not a problem with LC system per se. The way the calibrations are written there are very tight controls on TQ output that vary by gear and limit full TQ until third. Moving that upwards would make the car a good bit faster for sure. And the 2020 cars do have higher TQ limits then the 17-19. I have analyzed a 17 file and the file out of my car. There are more changes then I expected between the two.
I could easily set it where anyone wanted if someone was inclined to do that.

I am past the the 600 mile point now and will get into instrumented testing with it (in stock form) soon.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Can't wait to hear your findings Torrie!

Reactions: tmcphail

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Here is my extremely consistent advice for this car: do not give anyone an opportunity to void your warranty. The car makes the power (or torque) it makes in part because of the transmission manufacturer. Absent warranty concerns, it could make more. The MkII makes significantly more power but it also is not subject to the durability concerns of the road car. I know a few transmissions have been replaced in road cars.

A replacement 7DCL750 is priced at $28,470.52 currently, with an additional $5k core charge. That is part price only. The process by which parts and service are handled is at best characterized as challenging, and can lead to significant downtime. Beyond that, without a warranty, the additional potential service and repair costs of additional components can be equally significant.

I would not count on Brooks' opinion. He sold his car a bad mouthed Ford in the process. Took his profit and ran

This is an extreme mischaracterization. Brooks did all that Ford asked to as an owner, and he hardly could be considered as bad mouthing them or the car. In fact, outside of Shmee, I would say absolutely nobody has done more to make the car look good than him. His content was excellent, unique and very flattering to the car. His explanation of why he sold it was eminently reasonable. He uses his cars - all of them. His concerns were completely rational and offered in an extremely mild manner.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I've talked to Brooks (Drag Times) multiple times both on the phone and via text and even in private he never said anything negative about Ford or the GT during our conversations. As DBK stated above Brooks makes a living buying and testing supercars and his videos of heads up races and road tests are most informative. He ran the new GT against a bunch of other super and muscle cars and it's great to have the results without having to thrash my own GT! His ownership experience with nearly every car he buys and races is not trouble free and the GT was no exception but everything was taken care of, he enjoyed the car, and has acquired some new cars that will also be sold and replaced in a year or two. Cheers.

Chip

Rstomp

GT Owner
Nov 30, 2019
Naples, FL
It’s not a problem with LC system per se. The way the calibrations are written there are very tight controls on TQ output that vary by gear and limit full TQ until third. Moving that upwards would make the car a good bit faster for sure. And the 2020 cars do have higher TQ limits then the 17-19. I have analyzed a 17 file and the file out of my car. There are more changes then I expected between the two.
I could easily set it where anyone wanted if someone was inclined to do that.

I am past the the 600 mile point now and will get into instrumented testing with it (in stock form) soon.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Speaking of the performance - So I was driving my New GT last weekend and cruising along about 80 mph and pushed the pedal to the floor for 3 - 4 seconds and was like Holy Sh*t this thing is crazy fast and in thinking about it I think it felt as fast as my 2005 which dyno'd 802 hp at the rear wheel

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
My 2019 Feels faster than my 2005 GT too, and my 2005 is 710-720 rwHP

Reactions: Ed Sims

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
in the end itd be interesting to find out the actual performance diff the new changes made

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I could personally care less about LC.I'll probably never use it as I feel it just really beats on the components.
But I will continue to track it on occasion.After all it was made for the track ,not the drag strip!
Just my humble 02

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
Actually the question isnt only about LC. Its about performance difference in general. Engine tune, larger intercoolers and ducts were changed but also suspension modifications. Its just that for starters acceleration numbers are much easier to test. Track times would require a lot more. It doesnt really matter if you have a GT, these questions are important to most people in this hobby

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
Here is my extremely consistent advice for this car: do not give anyone an opportunity to void your warranty. The car makes the power (or torque) it makes in part because of the transmission manufacturer. Absent warranty concerns, it could make more. The MkII makes significantly more power but it also is not subject to the durability concerns of the road car. I know a few transmissions have been replaced in road cars.

A replacement 7DCL750 is priced at $28,470.52 currently, with an additional $5k core charge. That is part price only. The process by which parts and service are handled is at best characterized as challenging, and can lead to significant downtime. Beyond that, without a warranty, the additional potential service and repair costs of additional components can be equally significant.

This is an extreme mischaracterization. Brooks did all that Ford asked to as an owner, and he hardly could be considered as bad mouthing them or the car. In fact, outside of Shmee, I would say absolutely nobody has done more to make the car look good than him. His content was excellent, unique and very flattering to the car. His explanation of why he sold it was eminently reasonable. He uses his cars - all of them. His concerns were completely rational and offered in an extremely mild manner.
So the transmission isnt made to withstand much more torque than the car already has? If so why not make it stronger from the begining?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Actually the question isnt only about LC. Its about performance difference in general. Engine tune, larger intercoolers and ducts were changed but also suspension modifications. Its just that for starters acceleration numbers are much easier to test. Track times would require a lot more. It doesnt really matter if you have a GT, these questions are important to most people in this hobby

The actual performance delta in acceleration shown by data will be negligible. It's 13 SAE hp on a 3250 lb car. The difference will not be substantial in terms of track times either. Or at least the difference is not what I would consider substantial.

The actual difference is in performance output over time. In talking to the driving dynamics engineer that did much of the track work, the car feels faster longer because the new calibration and hardware keep the car making all the power longer. The new calibration makes more marginally more power, but it also runs cooler with higher temp thresholds. This would be of interest to serious track users. It cannot be safely retrofitted to the 2017-2019 cars. A 2020 on lap 10 will be faster than a 2017.

So the transmission isnt made to withstand much more torque than the car already has? If so why not make it stronger from the begining?

I mean it's a well known transmission that debuted in 2010 that was put in a car on an expedited timeline. The first car it went in made 398 lb ft of torque; that's 152 less than the GTs 550. Realistically the question applies to everything, and the answer is always some combination of cost-durability-time-need, and who pays for it when it breaks.

Last edited:

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
The actual performance delta in acceleration shown by data will be negligible. It's 13 SAE hp on a 3250 lb car. The difference will not be substantial in terms of track times either. Or at least the difference is not what I would consider substantial.

The actual difference is in performance output over time. In talking to the driving dynamics engineer that did much of the track work, the car feels faster longer because the new calibration and hardware keep the car making all the power longer. The new calibration makes more marginally more power, but it also runs cooler with higher temp thresholds. This would be of interest to serious track users. It cannot be safely retrofitted to the 2017-2019 cars. A 2020 on lap 10 will be faster than a 2017.

I mean it's a well known transmission that debuted in 2010 that was put in a car on an expedited timeline. The first car it went in made 398 lb ft of torque; that's 152 less than the GTs 550. Realistically the question applies to everything, and the answer is always some combination of cost-durability-time-need, and who pays for it when it breaks.
Thanks!! Great explanation

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

Excellent thanks for sharing your knowledge

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
A little difference in a 2017 and a 2020 build!

Attachments

• 2965B40E-77F3-4F47-B886-E9CCE8643457.jpeg
    2965B40E-77F3-4F47-B886-E9CCE8643457.jpeg
    795.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 269E4DE2-4B9A-4045-BC32-523014D9B1CA.jpeg
    269E4DE2-4B9A-4045-BC32-523014D9B1CA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
A 2020 on lap 10 will be faster than a 2017.

Correct. And to your point, until and unless SCCA or NASA introduces a new spec-NFGT series, that difference really isn't going to be demonstrable other than with the marbles rolling around in each of our heads.