2016 Le Mans Invites Press Conference Livestream - 8:30 AM EST

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
general-motorsport-com-announcements-2016-press-conference-for-the-2016-24-hours-of-le-man.jpg

1 hour announcement show at 8:30 AM EST. Should be at the link below. Announcement of the full invitation list, including whether or not all 4 Ford GTs get extended Le Mans invites. Ford GT already featured outside alongside Porsche LMP1 and Ligier LMP2.

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/tv/wo...nce-for-the-2016-24-hours-of-le-mans-and-wec/

CacCfz2WIAAuXQg.jpg:large

Cab2Ld1XIAAzMEN.jpg

CabobHKWIAAeNDh.jpg

WEC a little different than IMSA...
Cabx3auW8AAVU73.jpg

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Time is ticking closer!!!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
That the car they showed at the initial lemans announcement? I notice no mirrors?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
That the car they showed at the initial lemans announcement? I notice no mirrors?

I crewed for a well known (but will remain nameless here) driver, who may as well have had no mirrors. With numerous 'close calls' on track) we often suggested that he was not looking at lap traffic. One day to prove the point, I put duct tape on both mirrors (group practice & warm up laps) and asked a friend in a bright colored car to follow him closely. The friend being faster, tried to pass on many occasions. Our driver indicated that he never saw a competing car during his entire time on track. During debriefing we then showed him video closed course. All he said was hmmm. At the race, we removed the tape from the mirrors and the normal behavior continued just as if our lesson never happened.

Perhaps that GT is destined for a driver of similar skill sets. ;-))

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Mssrs. Pla and Pericak.

Caco1uzXIAAjxsK.jpg:large

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Damn, Andy you are observant!

I did notice on the Daytona racecar in the two faux rear exhaust "circles" there appeared to be a camera lens in one. The other appeared to be a light of some kind. Do not know if there is any video in the car for the driver to see what is behind him or not.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
New Le Mans magazine. Guess what's on the cover?

CadLE73WAAQgo_5.jpg:large

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
60 cars on the grid. That's crazy. Gonna be one hell of a spectacle.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Not that it's a surprise, but it's official. All 4 Ford GTs got the invite and will be on the grid at Le Mans in June.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Dave!

60 race cars on the starting grid.

Ford to have 4 cars in LMGTE Pro. Competitors in this class are Aston Martin, Ferrari, Ford and Porsche.

Ford gets quite a bit of poster/program publicity. Go Ford!

Do you think there are enough Ligier car entries???

The excitement builds!!

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
Damn, Andy you are observant!

I did notice on the Daytona racecar in the two faux rear exhaust "circles" there appeared to be a camera lens in one. The other appeared to be a light of some kind. Do not know if there is any video in the car for the driver to see what is behind him or not.

One "circle" is a camera, the other (black dome) is radar/lidar. The drivers have 10" monitors with a video feed. I'm not sure if this set up is mandatory throughout the field, but all the pro GT cars had this same setup.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
CadTNt8W0AAetio.jpg

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
Ford to have 4 cars in LMGTE Pro. Competitors in this class are Aston Martin, Ferrari, Ford and Porsche.

Was ist das? Kein Bavarian Motoren Werke?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Here's the list of competitors in GTE-Pro:

list.jpg

2 Corvette C7Rs
2 Aston Martin Vantage
3 Porsche 911 RSR
3 Ferrari 488 GTE
4 Ford GT

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
CadWzvmWIAA-p-O.jpg:large

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Not that it's a surprise, but it's official. All 4 Ford GTs got the invite and will be on the grid at Le Mans in June.

Gentlemen,

That's good news. At Daytona Larry Holt told us that he was certain that 3 GT's would be on the grid at LeMans and that he hoped that a 4th would get an invite as well but that is was not certain.

Chip

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
GREAT NEWS on the 4 cars. I can only imagine the negotiations. Also be interesting to see how the livery plays out assuming they don't want them all to look the same?

This is from the Motor Authority article:

"Since the street car's exhaust outlets aren't needed on the race car, Ford adds a rearview camera to one side and a rear radar system to the other. The radar indicates the range and closing speed of cars behind."

Full article here, also discusses engine air intake location, and a few other goodies, beyond the obvious, one seat, cage, iron vs ceramic rotors differences.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1102196_how-the-ford-gt-race-car-differs-from-the-street-car

Last edited:

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
This is excellent news. All 4 in the LM Pro makes for quadruple the excitement for all of us supporting the program. Can't wait to cheer them on in the flesh!

Vince H

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Great News !! How do we get the Le Mans Book with the GT on it ??

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Full entry list:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454688536.019651.jpg