2013 Track Pack Mustang GT

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I bought my son a 2013 Mustang GT with the Track Package and I can't believe how much car we got for $35 OTD. He says it is a little different than his 1996 Grand Marquis. :lol Ford did a great job with the option packages. You can get all the performance-oriented parts and electronic doodads a la carte. The Torsen differential that comes with the Track Package is out of this world. Those of you getting the Torsen with the 2013 GT500 will really like how it works on the street. Good job Ford!

003.jpg

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Awesome! Great looking car and options!! Now for some track time!

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Is he getting the car in front of him, or behind him? :wink

Either way he is one fortunate son. Congratulations to the both of you.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That one is mine! He is a great son. I'm not in the habit of over indulging my children, but he toes the line extremely well and I thought he deserved it. We have really enjoyed the car hobby together, so I did what any good dad would do. I discussed the purchase at length with my wife so she was involved in such an important decision and when she said no, I waited until she went out of town and I bought it.

Last edited:

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I discussed the purchase at length with my wife so she was involved in such an important decision and when she said no, I waited until she went out of town and I bought it.

What a great life lesson. :rofl

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Is that a kirkham cobra behind the mustang? Stang looks amazing for the money. When my son hits driving age I'm sure I will be doing the same. My insurance agent said he has to have a car registered and titled in his name to prevent my rates from sky rocketing.

Otis

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
What a great life lesson. :rofl

You know what they say, kids are never to young to learn. :lol

Otis, it is a Kirkham (street version- no hood scoop, roll bar, rear fender lips or side pipes).

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You should read this months Motor Trend, it says exactly that.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I had the good fortune to experience some passenger side track time in one of the development track-pak mules at Spring Hill. The flat black "beater" was nothing to look at (by design) but under the seemingly innocent exterior was a mechanical beast. On OE Pirelli street tires this car not only mixed it up with Porsche GT3's on the track but had no trouble passing them... The Ford Flex also on the track as a moving obstacle was no problem as well.

The track-pac equipped 5.0 Mustang is a serious track vehicle, and, I might also say Mr. McGowan's driving skill had something to do with its track presence as well.....

Congrats on the purchase!

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Give a real car life lesson and send him to a high performance driving school.(If you haven't already) I took my son to his first HPDE last August .What a great bonding experience!The real fun was, I got to take him around the track at speed!I believe he thinks differently of me now! He even talked to me for the 3 hour ride home!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Real funny Indy!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Real funny Indy!

I thought so too. Ah, I do remember you in A flex at Spring Mtn.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Looks awesome. Car is a great DD as well as a great car to learn on the track. Really like the look of the 2013s.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Give a real car life lesson and send him to a high performance driving school.(If you haven't already) I took my son to his first HPDE last August .What a great bonding experience!The real fun was, I got to take him around the track at speed!I believe he thinks differently of me now! He even talked to me for the 3 hour ride home!

I concur on getting to a class but I'd suggest you send him to a defensive driving class first. There is so much that they can and should learn about "daily driving" before putting a 16 year old on the track. The accelerated pace and exposure to real-life events in the introductory class (like skid pad, accident avoidance and reaction time, etc) will be exposed over two or three days in a closed track under controlled circumstances. Much better to know what is going to happen on a skid pad with noone around than on an icy crowded highway. Once he's done the intro course then to the track. You can do both at Boundurant in a week.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
All of the recommendations are points well taken. I should say this isn't his first car. I'm not sure I would get even my mature, responsible son a 420hp car as his first. I plan on taking him to Miller Motorsports Park this year for driving lessons. Frank, you can join us so you can learn to drive the Flex faster. I am surprised that you didn't punt Indy into the weeds.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just an FYI, brother Indy came without a car and had to rely on my Flex for transport. The only thrill he got was with McGowan as a passenger. Also, FYI, McGowan almost made me puke after three laps in that Mustang mule.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
All true as related above!
Frank did provide limosine service around Las Vegas and to/from the track.
I thought it best to only have one Flex on the track and opted for right seat time to observe and learn from Mark who is one of the best.
Tim put on a great show and am glad I attended even if it was without my GT.