2006 Tungsten Ford GT - modifying

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
I am a huge fan of stainless steel allen style bolts/fasteners. So I have decided to replace a good majority of the bolts on the car with them.

32748250109_large.jpg

I am creating a set of custom filler cap covers. I purchased aftermarket caps and had a few of them machined to fit the GT caps. I also had one created from scratch because I could not find an aftermarket cap that would work.

Caps will go through a couple more phases before they are ready to install (polishing and emblems).

32748250110_large.jpg

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Spent a couple of nights using a clay bar on the paint. Wow, clay sure works!! Next step will be polishing.

32748250111_large.jpg

32748250112_large.jpg

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Is that your application to Jason's Auto Spa? :rofl The car looks fantastic! :thumbsup

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
This is the oil filler nozzle that mounts on the valve cover. The wings on the sides are meant to support the radiator hoses that run over the valve covers. I decided to remove the wings because I will be installing a custom set of valve covers.

Next step is to clean the edges up so that it looks more like a billet piece.

32748250114_large.jpg

32748250113_large.jpg

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow, you've got it all in your garage, even a sandblaster?!?

Jay, the car looks GREAT!

Are you planning on building a bracket for your ipod, or is it just gonna get tucked away someplace? I notice that the rear air vents are off the clamshell. Was that just for the claying and waxing, or do you have yet more surprises coming??

And please don't tell me you "learned" to clay a car using your GT?? :eek If so, you're a much braver man than I!!

Last edited:

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Is that your application to Jason's Auto Spa? :rofl The car looks fantastic! :thumbsup

LOL!!! I appreciate the comment! :thumbsup

I'm pretty sure that Jason has much more experience polishing cars than me. I would have to start out in the wash bay and learn the real secrets from him. :biggrin

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Wow, you've got it all in your garage, even a sandblaster?!?

Jay, the car looks GREAT!

Are you planning on building a bracket for your ipod, or is it just gonna get tucked away someplace? I notice that the rear air vents are off the clamshell. Was that just for the claying and waxing, or do you have yet more surprises coming??

And please don't tell me you "learned" to clay a car using your GT?? :eek If so, you're a much braver man than I!!

No plans to make an Ipod bracket. Probably just set it on the rubber tray that I purchased from Airraid.

I removed the vents and am looking at getting a custom set made. It also helped my polishing effort.

Oh, and I have only used clay on one other car before...my wifes. :eek

Don't be afraid of the clay it is very easy to use. :thumbsup

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Jay-
The picture posts are absolutely spectacular! Very helpful to all of us.
Keep up the great work as you beautify your car!!!
Very much appreciate your detailed descriptions.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I am a huge fan of stainless steel allen style bolts/fasteners. So I have decided to replace a good majority of the bolts on the car with them.

Just this past weekend I replaced the license plate spacers with new ones and replaced the bolts with the SS allen style and it looks much better. They recess perfectly on the Ford GT billet plate frame, looks like they were made for it.

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Jay-
The picture posts are absolutely spectacular! Very helpful to all of us.
Keep up the great work as you beautify your car!!!
Very much appreciate your detailed descriptions.

Thanks for the comments! :cheers

I really enjoy taking pictures throughout the process. I wish I had the time to put arrows and notes on the pictures to clarify some things. Hopefully my descriptions will help.

Stiegemeier is taking pictures of the supercharger throughout the porting and polishing process. I will post those pics when I get them.

I've sent my wheels to a company that specializes in repairing and coating rims. I have also asked them to provide me with pictures during the process. I will also post them.

Oh, I sent my seats, center console (Mac piece - now modified) and a couple other pieces to have them tweaked. Pics will also be posted for this process.

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Just this past weekend I replaced the license plate spacers with new ones and replaced the bolts with the SS allen style and it looks much better. They recess perfectly on the Ford GT billet plate frame, looks like they were made for it.

Coool! I also purchased the license plate spacer kit.

I will take pictures of all the locations where I installed stainless steel allen bolts. Here is a list of the bolts that will be changed out; shocks, control arms, engine braces, intake manifold, all misc. engine accessories (oil reservoir, rad reservoir), clamshell hinge, clamshell vents, and many more.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
This convinces even more that tungsten is the best color and the 40th anniversary color! Nice work

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
This convinces even more that tungsten is the best color and the 40th anniversary color! Nice work

I have designed an emblem to acknowledge the Lemans 1-2-3 win. I will post pics of the emblem once they are produced.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
nice, your pushing the envelope I like it. very cool thread:thumbsup

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Like This??

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
nice, your pushing the envelope I like it. very cool thread:thumbsup

My dad was a hot rodder way back in the 50's & 60's and continued modifying/customizing cars while I was growing up. So I was always helping him. His ideas and ambition rubbed off on me. :banana

It's good to hear that you are enjoying the build. :thumbsup

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Like This??

Very cooool :thumbsup

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
excellent Ralphie!

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Here's one a little closer to home. I am a fan of the same type of fasteners.

plate.jpg

:cheers
Trent

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I like those fasteners and Trent, that looks like a mini FGT paperweight.