2006 Tungsten Ford GT - modifying

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Great photos! THANKS!

I guess suspension points are a no-no.

Hope to get my car up in the air today, and the photos will really help.

( Don't worry about the floor. )

Happy to hear that the pictures helped. :thumbsup

I made sure to review the jacking locations in the service manual thoroughly before I lifted my car.

Cheers
Jason

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
would you like to sell your stock vavle covers.I would like to have a set.CJ

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
would you like to sell your stock vavle covers.I would like to have a set.CJ

I will keep the stock valve covers in the event I want to turn it back to original. Thanks for contacting me.

Cheers
Jason

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Greetings,

I looked at the website for the valve covers and see they are listed as Performance Valve covers. Can you tell me what they improve? I'm not picking. I'm just curious. It would seem to me that having the coil right on the plug would be the best for performance. Adding a piece of wire between the coil and the plug seems like it would add some inertia in the form of capacitance and some resistance. They will look nice but if I were designing for performance I think I would go the way the engine came. The degredation is probably insignificant as our engines are certainly robust. I'm just hung up on the word Performance being applied to this particular valve cover design.

Cheers.

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Greetings,

I looked at the website for the valve covers and see they are listed as Performance Valve covers. Can you tell me what they improve? I'm not picking. I'm just curious. It would seem to me that having the coil right on the plug would be the best for performance. Adding a piece of wire between the coil and the plug seems like it would add some inertia in the form of capacitance and some resistance. They will look nice but if I were designing for performance I think I would go the way the engine came. The degredation is probably insignificant as our engines are certainly robust. I'm just hung up on the word Performance being applied to this particular valve cover design.

Cheers.

Not sure why Sullivan Performance calls them "Performance" valve covers? Probably just marketing.

I am simply changing to the Sullivan Performance valve covers for a different look. Not performance.

Last edited:

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
These pics show the removal of the sub-woofer enclosure from the center panel.

I will now have the panel recovered with leather.

32748250097_large.jpg

32748250098_large.jpg

32748250096_large.jpg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Cool! you are the 1st I remember that has modified the OEM woofer panel. Many, like I, simply replaced it with an OEM pocket version.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
great thread, your doing a fantastic job, and you have my attention, keep it up and keep the pictures coming:thumbsup

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Cool! you are the 1st I remember that has modified the OEM woofer panel. Many, like I, simply replaced it with an OEM pocket version.

Only reason I didn't get the OEM pocket version is due to the astronomical price. :willy

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Happy to hear that Soroush is enjoying the pics. Here are some more for you. :thumbsup

I will be installing a set of 5" O.D. MBRP (double wall) exhaust tips instead of the smaller 3" tips. I am of the opinion that the exhaust tip should reflect the width of the back tires. That is why I have chosen a meaty set of 5" tips. :biggrin

32748250100_large.jpg

In order to install the larger tips I needed to remove the bottom portion of the bumper exhaust enclosure. Next step is to trim the opening a little more and then finish the plastic ends.

32748250102_large.jpg

32748250101_large.jpg

32748250099_large.jpg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Oh I agree with that logic 1000%.

Would a bumper delete solve your exhaust tip clearance issue?

Only reason I didn't get the OEM pocket version is due to the astronomical price. :willy

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Jay, I agree with Specracer, you should go with a bumper delete. Jake at Project321 is making one that won't be an issue on the "astronomical" price meter..........take a look at Stormcat's thread on it.

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Would a bumper delete solve your exhaust tip clearance issue?

I have looked at the bumper delete but believe it or not, I don't mind the bumper. If I were to remove the bumper I would have less distance to install the 5" tips because I wouldn't have the additional depth that the bumper provides. Does that make sense?

Plus I thought it would look cool to modify the exhaust opening. But hey, I like to modify things. :wink

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Also keep in mind, assuming you are not scared of cutting, which clearly you are not. you could cut the OEM bumper brackets (how the early ones were done anyway). The tricky part is filling in the screens where the brackets come through. Not sure if the vendors will sell only the "trim" pieces (upper fiberglass fill panel, and the lower screen that they graft in a fill piece from a donor screen. Might be worth asking about?

Spddmnjay: Our posts crossed, yes those 5" tips do look long. I did not mind the look of the bumper, but sure does look cleaner and easier to wash with out it......

Jay, I agree with Specracer, you should go with a bumper delete. Jake at Project321 is making one that won't be an issue on the "astronomical" price meter..........take a look at Stormcat's thread on it.

Last edited:

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Spddmnjay: Our posts crossed, yes those 5" tips do look long. I did not mind the look of the bumper, but sure does look cleaner and easier to wash with out it......

I totally understand that keeping the bumper is not for everyone.

I had to cut the length of the 5" tips down significantly in order to keep the cross over piping. But it works. :cheers

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Matech and Robertson run with the rear bumper - why shouldn't I? Besides, it puts insurance issues out to pasture.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
:pop:pop:pop hurry up already I wana see what the exhaust looks like:biggrin

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
:pop:pop:pop hurry up already I wana see what the exhaust looks like:biggrin

ME TOO!! :biggrin

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Removed the McIntosh deck in order to hook up a set of Ipod cables.

32748250104_large.jpg

32748250105_large.jpg

32748250103_large.jpg

I found that it was too difficult to route the cable to the back by the fuse panel. Instead I ran the cable through a space directly on the back side of the dash panel.

32748250106_large.jpg

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Removed the side scoops so I could completely polish them (including the back side).

32748250108_large.jpg

32748250107_large.jpg