2006 GT with 690 miles---electrical issue--starting help if you can

Tommyg

GT Owner
Sep 5, 2013
Have had car since 2013. only had 75 on it-different story. Live in SC near Myrtle Beach. It gets hot down here. Its driven approx 100 miles year to shows or exercised every 2-3 months for 20 miles or so. Three weeks ago, after a run, let it soak for 1/2 hr --it wouldnt start, screwed with the key in the ignition 5 min later it turned over. Took it home that night, it started ok in the AM. Drove back over to my storage unit shut it down to open the door, didnot start again. 2 days later with help got it inside. Have verified battery OK, and key phob is ending the correct security signal. Have had dim blinking backup lights, and all various small system lights twinkling. After 8 days it started (after "many" tries) let it get hot, shut down, restarted. Next day dead again still is. Getting ready to take to dealer. Any suggestions on loading other then whats in the manuel. tommyg

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
battery tests good?If so,check and clean the ground under the front trunk tub(remove the trunk liner the ground is under there).A little sand paper on the frame where the ground meets the frame and some dielectric grease on the bolt into the frame.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Drive it more than 20 miles at a time

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Those times when you say it doesn't start, what EXACTLY is it doing? Is the starter spinning the motor and it is just not firing..... or do you turn the key and NOTHING is happening. If it is the later, could you try it with the headlights on? If you turn the key and nothing happens, do the lights dim?

My guess would be that you either have a bad battery (intermittent internal short) or, more likely a bad ground. Follow the battery ground strap to where it attaches to the frame. Remove and clean this bolt and surface area (lightly sand) and reattach.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
My guess would be that you either have a bad battery (intermittent internal short) or, more likely a bad ground. Follow the battery ground strap to where it attaches to the frame. Remove and clean this bolt and surface area (lightly sand) and reattach.

I'd be looking here first too. The connection might look fine but clean it anyway

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Highly unlikely, but will ask anyway, you have the clutch pedal all the way to the floor when trying to start it?

Reactions: Special K

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
it could also be the little plastic connector on the starter itself... I know they usually melt with aftermarket exhaust but if the car doesnt get driven much it could start to corrode and or the plastic connector could have still melted and loosened up allowing for intermittent contact. if you do have aftermarket exhaust I would check the connector also..

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The problem is you don’t drive it!
Cars that are driven never had these issues

Reactions: steved57