2005-06 Ford GT Build from Scratch Project

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan
I decided to share my project here on a new thread with all of you that are interested. Hopefully I can help anyone else going through the same thing and maybe we can solve some problems together. It doesn't seem like embedded pictures are working, so I am inserting links, instead throughout my posts.

My goal with this project is to build a wide body Ford GT with some modern conveniences and improvements. My intention is to use the body from the car in the link. This body is 8" wider than a stock GT, which concerns me a little that it might be too wide. I may change my mind on this as the project progresses and make some modifications.

I'm starting with a new OEM Ford GT Chassis in the box. I made a roll-around cart for the chassis so that its easy to work on and in this picture, you can see my chassis resting on it. It comes e-coated and its pretty much ready to paint. If you were wondering about the weight, the bare chassis is so light that a person on each end could completely lift it off of the roll around cart! I have a professional paint booth and started by painting the chassis, the stock ford silver right away. I was careful to study how the GT was originally painted (some areas remained e-coat) and followed suit in case I wanted to go original in the event that I found a donor wreck. pain booth #1, Paint Booth #2, Paint Booth #3

So, the chassis comes without any of the rivnuts installed and for those of you that don't know what these are, they are little threaded bushings that when installed squeeze permanently into the pre-drilled holes that they are placed in. There are a gazillion of these on the chassis and thanks to the elf in the red shirt for helping me with this. BTW, having a forklift handy was a big help.

I bought a new fuel tank, which BTW is called a "ship in the bottle" tank because the tank is blow molded around the interior components (another cool Ford technology at the time) and installed that since its in the center of the car and everything goes around it.

Thanks to one of the forum members, I acquired an engine and transmission and put that in (I realize that it will be coming out a few times later). As I continued to collect parts, I quickly learned which parts were difficult or impossible to find. It turns out there are a lot of bent control arms or the defective "squish casted" style that were recalled and replaced by machined billet ones by Ford under warranty recall. The thing about the control arms on the Ford GT, is that they come with the bushings and ball joints already installed and there is no way to replace those components other than buy a new control arm. I did a lot of research on the control arms and decided that some parts were going to have to be made. Since my body is a wide body, I will need longer control arms, but the bushings are still going to be an issue. In the process I decided to make upper control arms since the car uses four identical ones and I made them as stock replacements, again in case I could use an offset wheel in the rear with stock arms. Control Arm 1, control arm on car with proto bushings

I spent a lot of time on the bushings and produced a set of high quality bushings that press into the stock control arms. I used polyurethane instead of vucanized rubber as it is more durable and performs better than rubber. I experimented with different durometer polyurethane until I got the right stiffness that matched the factory specifications. I also learned that the the bushings are pushed into the control arms at a certain angle so that they are neutral (not stressed) in the normal sitting position. For those that lowered their suspension, the bushings are actually now preloaded all of the time. I worked out he geometry so that if I do a drop suspension, I can also rotate the bushings accordingly so that they are neutral in that lower position. I'm pretty excited with how good they turned out. Complete Bushing Set, Large Lower Bushing, small lower bushing, upper bushing. I made quite a few of these as I have some friends that need these too.

I have much more to share and I will continue to update as I go. I prototype a lot of my parts in 3D and lately I've been working on some plastic parts that I will need. I also discovered that my 3D printer can use wax filament and this opens the door for possibly using an investment casting process to make some parts that are hard to come by like the passenger door hinge. (that was a hint, if anyone has one!)

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Great thread and thanks for sharing knowledge gained ...... subscribed

also, can’t wait to see progress

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
I decided to share my project here on a new thread with all of you that are interested. Hopefully I can help anyone else going through the same thing and maybe we can solve some problems together. It doesn't seem like embedded pictures are working, so I am inserting links, instead throughout my posts.

My goal with this project is to build a wide body Ford GT with some modern conveniences and improvements. My intention is to use the body from the car in the link. This body is 8" wider than a stock GT, which concerns me a little that it might be too wide. I may change my mind on this as the project progresses and make some modifications.

I'm starting with a new OEM Ford GT Chassis in the box. I made a roll-around cart for the chassis so that its easy to work on and in this picture, you can see my chassis resting on it. It comes e-coated and its pretty much ready to paint. If you were wondering about the weight, the bare chassis is so light that a person on each end could completely lift it off of the roll around cart! I have a professional paint booth and started by painting the chassis, the stock ford silver right away. I was careful to study how the GT was originally painted (some areas remained e-coat) and followed suit in case I wanted to go original in the event that I found a donor wreck. pain booth #1, Paint Booth #2, Paint Booth #3

So, the chassis comes without any of the rivnuts installed and for those of you that don't know what these are, they are little threaded bushings that when installed squeeze permanently into the pre-drilled holes that they are placed in. There are a gazillion of these on the chassis and thanks to the elf in the red shirt for helping me with this. BTW, having a forklift handy was a big help.

I bought a new fuel tank, which BTW is called a "ship in the bottle" tank because the tank is blow molded around the interior components (another cool Ford technology at the time) and installed that since its in the center of the car and everything goes around it.

Thanks to one of the forum members, I acquired an engine and transmission and put that in (I realize that it will be coming out a few times later). As I continued to collect parts, I quickly learned which parts were difficult or impossible to find. It turns out there are a lot of bent control arms or the defective "squish casted" style that were recalled and replaced by machined billet ones by Ford under warranty recall. The thing about the control arms on the Ford GT, is that they come with the bushings and ball joints already installed and there is no way to replace those components other than buy a new control arm. I did a lot of research on the control arms and decided that some parts were going to have to be made. Since my body is a wide body, I will need longer control arms, but the bushings are still going to be an issue. In the process I decided to make upper control arms since the car uses four identical ones and I made them as stock replacements, again in case I could use an offset wheel in the rear with stock arms. Control Arm 1, control arm on car with proto bushings

I spent a lot of time on the bushings and produced a set of high quality bushings that press into the stock control arms. I used polyurethane instead of vucanized rubber as it is more durable and performs better than rubber. I experimented with different durometer polyurethane until I got the right stiffness that matched the factory specifications. I also learned that the the bushings are pushed into the control arms at a certain angle so that they are neutral (not stressed) in the normal sitting position. For those that lowered their suspension, the bushings are actually now preloaded all of the time. I worked out he geometry so that if I do a drop suspension, I can also rotate the bushings accordingly so that they are neutral in that lower position. I'm pretty excited with how good they turned out. Complete Bushing Set, Large Lower Bushing, small lower bushing, upper bushing. I made quite a few of these as I have some friends that need these too.

I have much more to share and I will continue to update as I go. I prototype a lot of my parts in 3D and lately I've been working on some plastic parts that I will need. I also discovered that my 3D printer can use wax filament and this opens the door for possibly using an investment casting process to make some parts that are hard to come by like the passenger door hinge. (that was a hint, if anyone has one!)
And I can check the tire pressure. Amazed at your ability and motivation.

Reactions: roketman

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
As you know from the other thread, I love projects like this.

Looking forward to future updates!

Reactions: roketman

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Keep the pictures coming!
Sign me up for the bushings please!

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Love to follow this. I have done/do part fabrication on builds as well. Mills, lathes, welders, etc. However, not to the level of equipment and skill as you seem to have. Very nice work.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
wow, incredible project. I love it when someone has a vision and the follow-thru to bring it to fruition.

I would like to get on your list if you make bushings available for sale.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Fascinating project, please keep us looped......I'm riveted.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I'd like to be on the list for bushings too please.

Amazing project you are undertaking.

QSS

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Wow--this looks like an amazing project!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What are you wanting to do for wheels and tires? Is this a dedicated track beast?

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Nice build and some very nice work - I'd be interested in the bushings also

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan
What are you wanting to do for wheels and tires? Is this a dedicated track beast?
I wanted to to be streetable too. Wheels will be aftermarket I’m sure, as I might need an offset. Not planning on slicks initially but it can handle them and I’m sure I’m going to want to try it. I’m part of a garage community with a track and I’m sure it will be tracked a lot.

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan
Love to follow this. I have done/do part fabrication on builds as well. Mills, lathes, welders, etc. However, not to the level of equipment and skill as you seem to have. Very nice work.
HighHP, is there anything for the GT that you have fabbed?

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
HighHP, is there anything for the GT that you have fabbed?
Minor fab for GT, but it is something you may want to consider. With top to bottom flow through both front radiators, how to bleed the air periodically. See post:

My current build project is a 1985 Jeep CJ7. Installing a 580 HP GMPP LSA engine. I fabbed 9 inch Ford front and rear, suspension......etc.....etc......etc.

20180615_154001.jpg

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
Minor fab for GT, but it is something you may want to consider. With top to bottom flow through both front radiators, how to bleed the air periodically. See post:

My current build project is a 1985 Jeep CJ7. Installing a 580 HP GMPP LSA engine. I fabbed 9 inch Ford front and rear, suspension......etc.....etc......etc.

View attachment 60588

Wow! That looks promising. You have any noteworthy completed projects that you could post more pics of?

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan

View attachment 60588
That's awesome. Used to have a CTS-V with the LSA in it and some extra boost and it had all the power and torque you will ever need. That's going to be a fun ride!

Reactions: HighHP

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan

View attachment 60588
Just looked at your vac down thread. I really appreciate the science behind the solution. Good job and nice execution!

Reactions: HighHP

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
great project, looking forward to your updates...

you do your own cad cam design and fabrication?

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Wow! That looks promising. You have any noteworthy completed projects that you could post more pics of?
A couple, I have a completely assembled CJ5 which is a sister to this one. It has a V6 with a centrifugal supercharger. CJ5's are to short to run an overdrive automatic with a V8. With the V6 and 4L65E auto, the rear driveline has no driveline tube. It is slip joint, welded to CV joint. Even then I had to machine the mating faces to make it shorter.
Now I need to disassemble and paint it. Don't have access to the photos right now. Will send a pic in a day or two. In respect of the Forum administrator, DBK, I will very much abreviate my non-GT info on this forum.

Last edited: