05 GT on MSO at Mecum Auction

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
It will be interesting to watch what this white/blue 05 GT with 600 miles auctions at. Mecum estimates between 200 to 250 thousand. Good in the interest of benchmarking.

http://content.mecum.com/vo/?FileID...8-a22c-4045-844c-0855e4b46480&MailID=25818463

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Wow. I wonder if my 42K miles white/blue GT is up there? I have lots of paint chips from the track & Hoosiers.

Ed

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Does FORD give a 3yr warranty when sold ?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Does FORD give a 3yr warranty when sold ?

If it's never been titled, I think they have to??

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That's a myth. If you show up with an 8 year old car thinking it will be warrantied, you're gonna be disappointed. And I've had that conversation in depth with SVT.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
That's a myth. If you show up with an 8 year old car thinking it will be warrantied, you're gonna be disappointed. And I've had that conversation in depth with SVT.

Then why all the hub-bub about MSO cars? Absolutely no benefit to owning one and actually a detriment since they're significantly more expensive than their titled counterparts.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Then why all the hub-bub about MSO cars? Absolutely no benefit to owning one and actually a detriment since they're significantly more expensive than their titled counterparts.

Perhaps no perceived or actual benefit to you which I get.

Apparently they are desirable to at least some collectors as evidenced by prices.

The $ are very rarely 'wrong' -- we can argue, disagree, rant, etc. as to why.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm sure it's because people want to own a car as close as possible to the day it rolled into a showroom. Per the franchise agreement with the dealer, the dealer is not allowed to sell the car on MSO and can face fines if caught. One of the owners on the forum is a Ford dealer and mentioned that Ford had charged back rebates on him for buying but not titling cars. He also stated that his state had rules against it and had begun to enforce it more actively. Obviously getting a car in this condition is desirable.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm sure it's because people want to own a car as close as possible to the day it rolled into a showroom. Per the franchise agreement with the dealer, the dealer is not allowed to sell the car on MSO and can face fines if caught. One of the owners on the forum is a Ford dealer and mentioned that Ford had charged back rebates on him for buying but not titling cars. He also stated that his state had rules against it and had begun to enforce it more actively. Obviously getting a car in this condition is desirable.

I bought my truck in Vegas from the fleet department. They pulled the paperwork out of their file cabinet and sent it to me. When I went into my Colorado DMV to register it they were aghast that I brought in a MSO sheet. The Nevada dealer should have titled it first in Nevada and sent me a Nevada title.

When I bought my Mustangs the Arizona dealer (that never saw the cars) got the MSO from Ford/Shelby and titled them in Arizona and sent me the Arizona titles.

MSO forms from dealers aren't supposed to be seen by the consumer... Exceptions, like component vehicles (Shelby CSX make a big deal about you getting the MSO form signed by CS) do exist.

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
I will be at that auction. If anyone can't make it to the auction and is interested in the car, feel free to contact me via PM.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
The last few GT's through the B.J. and Mecum have brought a little less than perceived market value. It will be interesting what this one brings. At the high estimate 250k + fees
seems high but you never know in an auction. My uniformed guess is 195 k + fees.

dpdive

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I bought my 05 in Feb. of 2009 from a Ford dealer. It came with the full 3-36 warranty which I used.

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
I bought my GT in April 2012 with only 900 miles on it. I too received the 3 yr/36000 mi Warranty. I've had it serviced twice. Lost the Fuel guage, had it replaced no cost to me!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Ok, I will put this to rest for you guys. Here is how it works. MSO or having a TITLE has absolutely nothing to do with warranty, PERIOD! End of story. The way warranty works, is every dealer that sells any type of vehicle with a warranty, does a thing called "warranty register". Basically this means, that when a dealer marks a vehicle as "SOLD" in his inventory, this is when the warranty starts clicking. Why anyone has ever thought that simply because a vehicle was never titled and is or isn't still on an MSO means the cars warranty has never started is beyond me. If this was the case, there would be tons of people across the world that would buy vehicles and never title them and have endless warranties for ever. Also, the comment that twobjshelbys made about customers not supposed to be receiving an MSO is also incorrect. Every NEW vehicle is sold on an MSO. Wether the selling dealer goes to the DMV and licenses and titles the vehicle for the buyer is between the buyer and the dealer, but it is perfectly, 100% legal to give a customer a bill of sale and an MSO to a vehicle at time of purchase. What is NOT legal (per new car dealer laws) is to give a customer an "open" or "blank" MSO. Hope this clears this up and helps avoid further confusion. Now, for the guys that say they bought a Ford GT in the last couple years and received a full warranty, that is because they bought the cars from the original selling FORD dealers which had never been sold to a retail customer thus the warranties had never started until they were sold to the current owners.

Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The last 3 new vehicles we have purchased have come to us with an MSO which we took to the Harris County Tax Assessor's office to register and pay sales tax. A Mustang from Delaware, a Lincoln from Wisconson and my wife's new Escape from Tennessee. There is no need to title the vehicle in the state where sold. First title should be in the state where the owner lives and will keep the car. Issuing the title twice is a waste of time and money.

Oh, and the warranty started the day we signed the paperwork and the dealer 'sold' it, not the day we took delivery. One was over a month different. As there were no warranty claims, there was never a need to argue the point, but we did keep paperwork just in case.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ok, I will put this to rest for you guys. Here is how it works. MSO or having a TITLE has absolutely nothing to do with warranty, PERIOD! End of story. The way warranty works, is every dealer that sells any type of vehicle with a warranty, does a thing called "warranty register". Basically this means, that when a dealer marks a vehicle as "SOLD" in his inventory, this is when the warranty starts clicking. Why anyone has ever thought that simply because a vehicle was never titled and is or isn't still on an MSO means the cars warranty has never started is beyond me. If this was the case, there would be tons of people across the world that would buy vehicles and never title them and have endless warranties for ever. Also, the comment that twobjshelbys made about customers not supposed to be receiving an MSO is also incorrect. Every NEW vehicle is sold on an MSO. Wether the selling dealer goes to the DMV and licenses and titles the vehicle for the buyer is between the buyer and the dealer, but it is perfectly, 100% legal to give a customer a bill of sale and an MSO to a vehicle at time of purchase. What is NOT legal (per new car dealer laws) is to give a customer an "open" or "blank" MSO. Hope this clears this up and helps avoid further confusion. Now, for the guys that say they bought a Ford GT in the last couple years and received a full warranty, that is because they bought the cars from the original selling FORD dealers which had never been sold to a retail customer thus the warranties had never started until they were sold to the current owners.
I knew Shelby would have the answer!
Can you help with transport of my sons car? Ma to NC? Looking for inexpensive .

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have an 18 year old motorcycle still on an MSO.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I knew Shelby would have the answer!
Can you help with transport of my sons car? Ma to NC? Looking for inexpensive .
Yes sir. Call me Monday :)

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
I have an 18 year old motorcycle still on an MSO.

What kind of motorcycle?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Triumph Daytona Super III. I bought it from a dealer on the East coast of Florida that went out of business. It is in my father-in-law's living room :). I have another one I ride.

http://micapeak.com/DPG/triumph/new/daytona/94spr3.gif