05/06 Power Steering Hose Deterioration

Fiji_99

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2020
Indiana
Payment sent for a hose. Address included in the message portion of PayPal.
Thanks,
Jeremy Feller

Reactions: GT Tech

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Can I still get one?
Best.
Mark

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Can I still get one?
Best.
Mark
You can. They are $300 plus 7 for shipping. I can do PayPal or a check. Send me your address and I'll get one out right away. Thanks

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
It's a good thing that most 05/06 GT owners live close to a NAPA or Autozone parts store. When this supply of the deteriorating P/S return hoses are gone, there will be no more. And if you are one of the unlucky ones who did not get your replacement from Me or Rich Brooks, You can always go down to your local parts store and buy a length of heater hose when the oem one fails. I know I would want a 3 buck universal hose on my 500K Supercar.

Reactions: Johntpr

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
A word of caution when installing these replacement hoses: double check the length, compared with your old hose, and note carefully how the old one is routed before removing it, paying particular attention to the length of hose after the last/bottom bend. Mine was about 3/4" too long, which placed the hose right up against the oil reservoir. Not good to have rubber hoses up against a hot component. Naturally, it's very easy to remedy, once you know to look out for it. Just set your old hose and your replacement hose side by side before you snake your new hose down into position, and trim off any extra you might have.

Otherwise, fantastic replacement piece (better than the originals, I suspect!), and a big "thank you" to you guys for making these available.hoselength.JPEGoiltank.jpg

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
A word of caution when installing these replacement hoses: double check the length, compared with your old hose, and note carefully how the old one is routed before removing it, paying particular attention to the length of hose after the last/bottom bend. Mine was about 3/4" too long, which placed the hose right up against the oil reservoir. Not good to have rubber hoses up against a hot component. Naturally, it's very easy to remedy, once you know to look out for it. Just set your old hose and your replacement hose side by side before you snake your new hose down into position, and trim off any extra you might have.

Otherwise, fantastic replacement piece (better than the originals, I suspect!), and a big "thank you" to you guys for making these available.View attachment 66199View attachment 66200
As you mentioned, it may take a little turning to get the alignment perfect. We have not had to trim any length off, as the bend in the hose has clearence to tweek it a bit. You are right about being better quality than OEM. These hoses were made using a used OEM a templet as no new ones were available. That may account for any slight size difference. Thanks for the pics Dakota. Glad you got yours. Eventually, there will be 2500 or so GTs using heater hose.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Since many of those cars never get driven, their owners will be blissfully unaware.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Since many of those cars never get driven, their owners will be blissfully unaware.
And the vast majority of owners aren't forum members. Two things come to mind

The notice of impending doom was posted in alpha centauri

If a tree falls in the woods...

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
And the vast majority of owners aren't forum members. Two things come to mind

The notice of impending doom was posted in alpha centauri

If a tree falls in the woods...
Then it's OUR responsibility, as members of the greatest forum in the world, to tell every other GT owner about the impending doom. Buy 2 they are small. While not quite as desirable as a left side headlamp, they would make a great addition to your GT memorabilia collection. We could make fun of the great unwashed who did not have the wisdom and foresight to get their prize when they could.

dshears

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 26, 2009
Fremont Ca
Just sent you payment by Pay-Pal.

Thanks

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Then it's OUR responsibility, as members of the greatest forum in the world, to tell every other GT owner about the impending doom. Buy 2 they are small. While not quite as desirable as a left side headlamp, they would make a great addition to your GT memorabilia collection. We could make fun of the great unwashed who did not have the wisdom and foresight to get their prize when they could.

Right after I moved to Vegas I would go down to the local Cars and Coffee with the GT. Several other owners came (but not regularly) and I mentioned the forum to them. Not a single one knew about it. I don't know if any signed up or not.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Just sent you payment by Pay-Pal.

Thanks
Will ship out tomorrow. Thanks

Reactions: Johntpr and dshears

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
An update on the P/S hose situation. I have been told by a few people that their P/S hose feels fine on the outside. That could be true, BUT, we believe the hoses are deteriorating from the INSIDE OUT. That means the contaminates are being flushed through the P/S system. P/S pumps and rack assemblies are expensive and I would think of limited availability. What is that old commercial that says "Pay me now or Pay me later"

Reactions: Johntpr and dshears

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I wish we could find a source for those OEM pinch rings.

Tried my dealer, No Bueno.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Man I sold a left side headlight a couple of years ago because someone needed it to get their GT to pass inspection. Sorry I sold it now.

Tomcat

GT Owner
The cost for the replacement hose is $300. plus $ 7 shipping. PayPal is preferred, but I can do a check.
My PayPal account name is; gt351svo@aol.com
My email is mus385@aol.com

Thanks
Rich Roback
586-292-2788
Please check your email...THANKS!

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Got mine in mail yesterday, thanks.

PS. Ordered without checking mine. Looked today and while not leaking definitely failing,outside is soft and leaves black marks when touched

Last edited:

Mr.Charger

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2019
Germany, Hamburg
Owners of 05/06 GTs need to check the power steering return hose going into the bottom of the PS reservoir. It is the larger of the 2 hoses. If it feels greasy or just plain nasty, it is deteriorating. Rich Brooks of the GT Garage and I have changed some, but at this point Ford no longer services this hose. We estimate that most 05/06 GTs will need a replacement hose. While we have not seen any complete failures, it is reasonable to assume that may be an issue at some point. Now for the good news. Rich and I have secured replacement hoses. I will have 80 - 100 hoses at the upcoming Rally 13 in Scottsdale, and more will be available through Myself or Rich.
Hi everyone,
just came across this thread. Mine is 06 and I am keeping the car for lifetime, so this might be a very good investment. Not being so much into the technical side, this is the return hose I understood, what about the other one ? Will this be same problem someday ?
Thinking about stocking the most needed spares to be sure I can drive her in 20 years as good as today :)

@Tomcat : shipping to Germany possible as well ?
Best
Holger

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Hi everyone,
just came across this thread. Mine is 06 and I am keeping the car for lifetime, so this might be a very good investment. Not being so much into the technical side, this is the return hose I understood, what about the other one ? Will this be same problem someday ?
Thinking about stocking the most needed spares to be sure I can drive her in 20 years as good as today :)

@Tomcat : shipping to Germany possible as well ?
Best
Holger
We have not seen any problems with the smaller pressure hose. The larger of the two hoses is the problem child. Ford no longer services the part. Rich Brooks and I are the only place for a replacement hose, although we have a limited amount left. I would think I could ship one to Germany, but cost could be high. Shipped a couple to Canada and it was an extra 26 bucks for shipping. Smart move stocking up what you can. We are considering having other GT parts made, but not sure which would be cost effective.

Mr.Charger

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2019
Germany, Hamburg
I would be happy if you could find out shipping cost to Germany
Zip: 21244
City: Buchholz