05/06 Power Steering Hose Deterioration

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Has anyone that installed the new hose found that the old hose was bad on the inside?

AJK

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I have not seen it. Let me get a hold of Rich and talk to him. I'll get back to you.
Any word on this?

Reactions: Johntpr

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
I have not seen it. Let me get a hold of Rich and talk to him. I'll get back to you.
Any update on this? Is the hose good to install?

Reactions: Johntpr

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
So are the PS hoses still available?
I checked mine yesterday and it is weeping slightly.
Thanks , Guy

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Jeez, the promotion of these had been nonstop, but now that there are concerns, it's nothing but crickets.

Reactions: jammer and 2112

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Jeez, the promotion of these had been nonstop, but now that there are concerns, it's nothing but crickets.
I’ve chalked the $307 up to lessons learned, even though the right thing to do would have been full refund if the part is shown to be as flawed as some of comments above indicate. My expectations were much higher for purchasing something marketed by long term forum members. Simple yeah we f’d up would’ve sufficed for me but even that courtesy has been missing.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Do not use hose that is not rated for power steering fluid. NAPA carries bulk PS hose. I have purchased bulk PS hose at O'Reilly's as well. If a hose is not rated for the product, it generally will swell up and seep as the product deteriorates the rubber.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
It would be interesting to note if any other owners who installed the aforementioned hose incurred a similar problem. So far just one complaint (at least posted here). I have not installed mine as the original does not weep at all. Good to know the integrity of the hose for future use.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Still not installed mine either but need to do it soon if no issues.

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
It would be interesting to note if any other owners who installed the aforementioned hose incurred a similar problem. So far just one complaint (at least posted here). I have not installed mine as the original does not weep at all. Good to know the integrity of the hose for future use.
I did install the hose last summer, and this year did note the hose is a little greasy and leaves a black residue on rags when wiped. I did provide this feedback to the suppliers. I have a spare new OEM hose, but was waiting to see if anything evolved on the replacement hoses, as new OEMs are no longer available. I have no issue about the money, and will continue to support vendors willing to produce low volume items for our GTs.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
I did install the hose last summer, and this year did note the hose is a little greasy and leaves a black residue on rags when wiped. I did provide this feedback to the suppliers. I have a spare new OEM hose, but was waiting to see if anything evolved on the replacement hoses, as new OEMs are no longer available. I have no issue about the money, and will continue to support vendors willing to produce low volume items for our GTs.
Did you get a reply from the supplier? We've been asking for confirmation here since April but only reply was "we'll get back to you" 4 months ago. Don't think anyone is hurting over $300 here. Actually paying that much for a hose that should be in the $20-$50 range was in large part to encourage and support people taking the initiative to support the community. I'm afraid such experience hurts future attempts by others as it diminishes trust in the community.

Reactions: Pro_GT_driver

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
Did you get a reply from the supplier?
No. I reported the issue with the hose several months back.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I bought the replacement hose, but have not installed it because my OE one is not seeping (yet). You guys with leaking hoses need to drive your cars more.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
I bought the replacement hose, but have not installed it because my OE one is not seeping (yet). You guys with leaking hoses need to drive your cars more.
Same here. Haven't replaced my original hose. It looks fine with no evidence of weeping or swelling. I bought the new hose because the sales pitch was the original hose is deteriorating from the inside out and releasing contaminants into the power steering system that could damage the expensive pump and rack if not replaced even if externally it looks fine.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I installed the questionable aftermarket hose last year. My original was pretty greasy on the outside with approximately 26k miles. The fluid itself had been serviced in the past.
Checked it today, and with 500 miles on it now, the aftermarket hose was noticeably greasy on the outside as well.
I am joining the waiting public to hear what, if anything, has been done to investigate this concern, and what will be done?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I am afraid that I have to report the same... actually I think my new replacement hose is weeping worse than my 16+ year-old original was. I think we are probably all on the same page in feeling that this isn't the end of the world and we appreciate people bringing new products to the market and will continue to support them, but to just go silent on the issue is not acceptable.

Reactions: Pro_GT_driver

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
I have an update on this coming soon.

I have an update on this coming soon.
Checked my replacement hose (second one) last night after driving, and the new one is sweating noticeably. Small beads of PS fluid all over the outside. What's the update?

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I got one installed!
Works great!
Have you checked the hose for the aforementioned issues? Waiting for more definition before I install mine.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have not but I will
Have you checked the hose for the aforementioned issues? Waiting for more definition before I install mine.