BoP? Where was it?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Did the ACO/FIA hand out trophies, then take the trophies back, then spend the next hours figuring out how to achieve the outcome they wanted? ;)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Did the ACO/FIA hand out trophies, then take the trophies back, then spend the next hours figuring out how to achieve the outcome they wanted? ;)

Doesn't answer the question.

Ford was penalized for the light. They took the penalty and continue racing. Ferrari chose to ignore it without consequence.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ferrari was penalized post-race. 20 seconds. :lol In the future, I guess it would be sensible for everyone to ignore a black/orange flag and take a 20 second penalty, vs. losing several minutes in the pits.

Ford was also penalized twice post-race. Speeding. And faulty wheel speed sensor. :confused No idea what that is about.

So, in addition to the goofy BoP scheme, add manipulations by the ACO to the things that are wrong with racing.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yes, but the penalty was meaningless. 20 seconds is far preferable than pulling in and fixing it, so that car was gifted the finishing position it got. At a minimum, the #69 Ford GT should have finished 2nd, and there was a real chance it could have been 1-2-3.

Maybe if the two AF Corse 488s could have finished the race, the ACO wouldn't have had to ignore itself in order to preserve Ferrari's dignity. Underrated story of the race - Factory Ford GTs completed 340, 340, 339 and 306 laps, all making it to the finish line. Factory Ferraris completed 179 and 143 prior to retirement.

The only manipulations that occurred post-race were assessing pointless penalties that did nothing to change the order.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Our position light bulb burned out. It unfairly tricked all the competition (i.e., Ford because there was no other competition). It clearly upset the BoP, for which I am truly sorry. :frown

It caused me a moment of personal discomfort when, standing near the Dunlop bridge, I thought the lead had changed from Ford to Ferrari. For that reason alone the Risi car should have been disqualified.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Le Mans judges seems as crooked as...

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It caused me a moment of personal discomfort when, standing near the Dunlop bridge, I thought the lead had changed from Ford to Ferrari. For that reason alone the Risi car should have been disqualified.
I hope someone close by was there to help you when they noticed your wrist go limp before you swooned.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
A rule is a rule. Eff that. A rule that has nothing to do with racing. Risi got the podium they deserved.

Well, there goes your spot on the new FGT list. :wink

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Well, there goes your spot on the new FGT list. :wink

LOL! Bart I was thinking the same thought......

Thanks Andy and Paul.

I'm out.

:pop

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
To put a positive spin on all this, after the race when Bill Ford was spraying us with champagne, a lot of us told him that it should have been 1-2-3. Bill said "that's OK, we can do that next year!"
Ford is in it for the long-term!

Reactions: fordification

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Le Mans 2017 has already been put into my calendar :)

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
Not to bring up an old thread but was the hp after bop disclosed for any of the races? I guess it would be difficult considering they don't dyno after. Would have to figure out based on psi boost loss over certain rpm range.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Not to bring up an old thread but was the hp after bop disclosed for any of the races? I guess it would be difficult considering they don't dyno after. Would have to figure out based on psi boost loss over certain rpm range.
I remember one of the drivers telling me it was around 420hp with most of the boost having to be dumped...

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I remember one of the drivers telling me it was around 420hp with most of the boost having to be dumped...
Yup, Raj told us at a race in COTA (2017?) that they’d been BOP’d down to around 400hp. Each year the BOP got more politicized and Ford’s fortunes sank lower: 1st in 2016, 2nd in 2017, 3rd in 2018, and 4th then DQ’d in 2019 at Le Mans. I believe all the complaints about the system resulted in the death of the class and the subsequent lack of interest in the new classes. It certainly killed any interest I have in going back to Le Mans

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
Yup, Raj told us at a race in COTA (2017?) that they’d been BOP’d down to around 400hp. Each year the BOP got more politicized and Ford’s fortunes sank lower: 1st in 2016, 2nd in 2017, 3rd in 2018, and 4th then DQ’d in 2019 at Le Mans. I believe all the complaints about the system resulted in the death of the class and the subsequent lack of interest in the new classes. It certainly killed any interest I have in going back to Le Mans

So around a 20% drop since most should be in the 500hp range. What did Raj mean when he mentioned they went heavy on the aero to avoid restrictions, except didn't expect getting hit so hard with horsepower? Or did I answer my question. lol

Reactions: Special K

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
So around a 20% drop since most should be in the 500hp range. What did Raj mean when he mentioned they went heavy on the aero to avoid restrictions, except didn't expect getting hit so hard with horsepower? Or did I answer my question. lol
I think you answered it! 😂 They were banking on aero being one of the advantages not being easily taken away from the GT. But the BoP overcompensated with horsepower and ballast weight restrictions.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
Just watched 2017 nuremburgring, only 1 spot changed in top 5.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
Posted this before. Would like to know more from the drivers. I imagine they can't talk about it.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California

Even though (IMHO) Lemans is still one of the coolest places on earth,
definitely now with what and how it all transpired the
"Bloom is off the Rose".
The powers that be also made sure for Ford that history would not be repeated, like in the 60's.
The DQ of Keating was worse than the proverbial poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Reactions: THamonGT

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Yeah, right up there with robbing Ken Miles of his 1st place finish in 1968.

Reactions: Stef and THamonGT