Gas Monkey Ford GT

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I like the show.
Moving right along.
Certainly this episode shows that even a salvage GT requires a forensic PPI.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I like the show.
Moving right along.
Certainly this episode shows that even a salvage GT requires a forensic PPI.

Some of the things they do are insanely stupid, but the show is sometimes informative and they do run into some interesting "finds" (orchestrated, no doubt, for television, like all that Camaro stuff). The great thing about a DVR is it has a fast forward button!

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
When they rebuilt the F40 and painted it black the frame was so far off they had to move the tabs on the motor mounts to drop in the motor. It seemed like a hack job and they sold it for way more then I thought . It was sold to a non ferrari collector who has lots of money and Did not understand the flaws under the new paint job.

I see this everyday in the car business. Last year I went with a guy to look at a salvaged GT and he paid 180k and the car was not done very well. Front stripes were cleared coated over and the rear were not. The gaps were way off. The wheels were curb rashes and the car fax showed another accident after the salvage and it drove like crap with steering issues.

So yes a inpulsive person will buy this car just watch . The real question is how much is my no story 29k GT worth these days if all these sketchy cars sell for so much?

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
I believe Reggie Jackson bought the black F-40 at one auction only to sell it a short time later, claiming it was "too fast". Didn't sell for anywhere near the going rate of $1,000,000 as I remember.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
^^
When he sold it they showed it on the show.
Took an enormous hit.

McGuirk

Oct 20, 2014
San Jose CA
I was at Goodings Pebble Beach, when this idiot made a complete fool of himself while Jay Leno was auctioning a new GT350 for charity. He got up on stage uninvited and disrupted the entire event - with a can of Miller Lite in his hand.

The LeMans winning Al Holbert 956 just sold for $9.2M and he acted like a boss. No one in the crowd recognized him. He is an embarrassment

Enough ranting, sorry to see him destroy one of my favorite cars

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner
I too ran into him and his posse (talked with them off camera) at Pebble Beach...(no comment).

I think the cars featured on television (especially the modified/rebuilt/etc...) appeal to the "as seen on TV" pop culture crowd/investors as opposed to the un-modified/protect-o-plate/matching numbers connoisseurs.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I have seen him at two auctions this year and he made a fool of himself at both trying to take over the auction from the auctioneer in both cases. He only wanted to be on camera to show off. His show is designed for a very weird group and rebuilds crap to sell at auctions for high money. Why Chrysler uses him in their advertising has baffled many dealers. Enough said.

Richhill43

Apr 13, 2010
Johnson City, NY
Crazy is as crazy does

I found it curious that you told him that once he gets it back together, you may discover other issues. That indicated to me that the frame damage was not fully disclosed. Absolutely they inspected the car but regardless of how they hack this car up, I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. That frame damage is a game changer. If a pure stock Red GT with 4k miles is about a $275K car, one with bad paperwork is barely above $200. The way the cost of parts have gone crazy, I don't see any way they will make money on this car. I would not call the car famous but rather infamous. That's my 2 cents.

Car ended up with 805 RWHP and the finished product looks kicka$$! The air ride was done to stir up the purist...as it already has..lol . As i have realized over the last 8 years of my 100's of GT sales that there is a buyer for everything. This car may not be for you or the next guy but i can promise u it will sell and pring a nice profit! His plans are to keep it but we will see it will be at ride technology booth at sema and the build quality is top notch. This car is now a famous car and always will be from this point on and will become viral on socail media. I would buy it back...and pay 300k ..but thats just ny 2 cents. :)

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I like the show for entertainment and I just love cars. I have learned the hard way, any car that's been cut...chopped... Welded...WILL EVENTUALLY FAIL and be more trouble down the road! That's what I think when I see them cutting stuff up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Watching it now. WAY too low for me.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Watching it now. WAY too low for me.

I can't wait for them to do that front end hop thing :)

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
At least they aren't turning it into a donk, although there's still time.....

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
WAY too low for me.

Yep, both the show AND the car!

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
They should have bought a new frame even tho the VIN wouldn't be on it.
Of course they would be "upside-down" instantly if they did.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I'm sure they will find some rapper or celebrity to buy it just like Reggie Jackson bought the F40. I mean look what they got Sonic to pay for a "company commercial car"....they redid a 68' or 69' Camaro for $200K. I saw the Sonic Exec say 200K and I almost lost my dinner!!! Then they had to go find a car and do the build. I don't remember the exacts but it was a restomod convertible used in the Sonic commercials with those two guys saying stupid stuff.

Darthvader

Aug 4, 2007
LufkinTexas
i found it curious that you told him that once he gets it back together, you may discover other issues. That indicated to me that the frame damage was not fully disclosed. Absolutely they inspected the car but regardless of how they hack this car up, i would not touch it with a ten foot pole. That frame damage is a game changer. If a pure stock red gt with 4k miles is about a $275k car, one with bad paperwork is barely above $200. The way the cost of parts have gone crazy, i don't see any way they will make money on this car. I would not call the car famous but rather infamous. That's my 2 cents.

not to spoil your assumptions or anything but i worked with richard for a year to get him the car he wanted....and he specifically asked for a car with frame damage for tv drama...so yes it was disclosed and yes he wanted a frame damage car. Thanks have a blessed weekend

Darthvader

Aug 4, 2007
LufkinTexas
IMG_31261.jpg Pure sex in my opinion but im just a redneck salvage builder from Texas. LOL

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
What a POS.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Poor car.