How many members will pay 400K and are interested in buying new GT..

Priced at ~$375k with ~1200 units produced, would you buy the new GT?

• Yes

Votes: 110 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 66 37.5%

• Total voters

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Mr Theodore, your car awaits.....

But I want to keep mine.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
So I was standing at a Lexus Dealership in Escondido, CA with 2 LFAs in front of me. One black and the other white in color. Window sticker price was $380,000. My significant other was eyeing them when I told her that you could get a new FGT for another 20 grand assuming you were one of the lucky ones. I also told her doubt the new FGT will sit in any showroom for any length of time unless it had a huge dealer markup. While the Lexus LFA is a special car I would rather buy the new FGT for near the same money.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
So I was standing at a Lexus Dealership in Escondido, CA with 2 LFAs in front of me. One black and the other white in color. Window sticker price was $380,000. My significant other was eyeing them when I told her that you could get a new FGT for another 20 grand assuming you were one of the lucky ones. I also told her doubt the new FGT will sit in any showroom for any length of time unless it had a huge dealer markup. While the Lexus LFA is a special car I would rather buy the new FGT for near the same money.
:agree: no doubt about it!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
:agree: no doubt about it!

Yep. No brainer.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
For sure. And as Ive said before, I would not even PONDER any other $150k+ car period. I love the new GT, but my serious interest is because its a Ford.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Yea, I wonder who is buying the LFA's? Too many cars in that price range WAY more desirable.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
For sure. And as Ive said before, I would not even PONDER any other $150k+ car period. I love the new GT, but my serious interest is because its a Ford.

OK, I saving this one for perpetuity. :lol:lol

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
LFA is a great car. Looks are pretty pedestrian for the money but it has one of the all-time great powerplants ever put in a road car. The sound that car makes at WOT is second to none.

[video=youtube;p6D7S2rcyIQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6D7S2rcyIQ[/video]

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea, I wonder who is buying the LFA's? Too many cars in that price range WAY more desirable.

Those that live in a different stratosphere. Only LFA owner I know has a Veyron, 918, multiple FGT's, Ferrari's, Bentley's, MB's, etc, etc. The price of admission for an LFA is just a drop in the bucket. Nobody is getting one if it's the only 'supercar' they can afford.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I'm not buying it.

$400K is a perverse, almost fetishistic price point for a new car with untested collectability, performance and even reliability.

One has no idea where this GT will end up; will it have strange Carrerra GT driving dynamics; weird LFA transmission/whine; SLR sales performance; not age well in looks?

Who knows?

Vast majority of $400K cars I have seen in last 10yrs are sitters; they sit in showrooms, storage warehouses, auction stages, and if lucky valet spots.

$400K is a strange price point and few makers have had success at it.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm not buying it.

$400K is a perverse, almost fetishistic price point for a new car with untested collectability, performance and even reliability.

One has no idea where this GT will end up; will it have strange Carrerra GT driving dynamics; weird LFA transmission/whine; SLR sales performance; not age well in looks?

Who knows?

Vast majority of $400K cars I have seen in last 10yrs are sitters; they sit in showrooms, storage warehouses, auction stages, and if lucky valet spots.

$400K is a strange price point and few makers have had success at it.

Carrera GT, driving dynamics and all, 1300 unit production run, now trading north of $700k for quality low mileage examples.

By far, the biggest production volume $400k car on the market is the Aventador. Lamborghini has easily sold 4,000+ units of that car since 2012, and it's a pretty safe bet they won't run into trouble selling the 600 $485k base MSRP Aventador SVs. A large number of Aventador Roadsters already cross the $500k mark, and I'm willing to bet the vast majority of SVs have a sticker price well north of $500k as well.

900+ $845k base MSRP Porsche 918s = sold out
375 $1.15 million base MSRP McLaren P1s = sold out
"499" $1.4 million base MSRP LaFerraris = sold out
$450k average MSRP Aventadors = 1,001 units sold in 2013, 1,101 units in 2014.

That's ~6,000 cars that significantly exceed the base price of the GT that have sold relatively quickly in the last four years. The hypercars are in a different class, but again, the Aventador has been a big success and its $397k base price is close to what the GT will base at. They sell roughly the same amount of $400-500k Aventadors in a single year as Ford will produce in total of the new GT.

Go look on the auto listing websites right now. 458 Speciale is for all intents and purposes a $400k car, and ~600 units of that car are being sold in the US. 675LT is roughly a $400k car. It's pretty close to the price of entry for ultra-high performance mid-engine supercars.

While I agree that long term collectability is a crap shoot, I think that's the case with everything except the top tier V12 Ferrari. Barring some type of major exogenous shock that disturbs the high end car market in general, it's a very safe bet that the first couple years of PHX cars will sell out instantly. I'm pretty confident I could hand Ford a list of names that would wipe out 1st year U.S allocations by the end of the day.

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
I know of an LFA for sale. Pearl Blue

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

That makes two of us. Many people can't comprehend that some of us simply don't want a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

The hypercars are in a different class, but again, the Aventador has been a big success and its $397k base price is about what the GT will base at.

Welcome news.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I never thought I'd pay really stupid money on a car then I saw the Aventador, which will likely end up being north of the GT price wise. The new GT may be a steal if $400 plus ends up being the number.

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
Carrera GT, driving dynamics and all, 1300 unit production run, now trading north of $700k for quality low mileage examples.

By far, the biggest production volume $400k car on the market is the Aventador. Lamborghini has easily sold 4,000+ units of that car since 2012, and it's a pretty safe bet they won't run into trouble selling the 600 $485k base MSRP Aventador SVs. A large number of Aventador Roadsters already cross the $500k mark, and I'm willing to bet the vast majority of SVs have a sticker price well north of $500k as well.

900+ $845k base MSRP Porsche 918s = sold out
375 $1.15 million base MSRP McLaren P1s = sold out
"499" $1.4 million base MSRP LaFerraris = sold out
$450k average MSRP Aventadors = 1,001 units sold in 2013, 1,101 units in 2014.

That's ~6,000 cars that significantly exceed the base price of the GT that have sold relatively quickly in the last four years. The hypercars are in a different class, but again, the Aventador has been a big success and its $397k base price is about what the GT will base at. They sell roughly the same amount of $400-500k Aventadors in a single year as Ford will produce in total of the new GT.

Go look on the auto listing websites right now. 458 Speciale is for all intents and purposes a $400k car, and ~600 units of that car are being sold in the US. 675LT is roughly a $400k car. It's pretty close to the price of entry for ultra-high performance mid-engine supercars.

While I agree that long term collectability is a crap shoot, I think that's the case with everything except the top tier V12 Ferrari. Barring some type of major exogenous shock that disturbs the high end car market in general, it's a very safe bet that the first couple years of PHX cars will sell out instantly. I'm pretty confident I could hand Ford a list of names that would wipe out 1st year U.S allocations by the end of the day.

please please PAH-LEEEZ, say that I'm on that list :)
...no.... seriously, say I'm on it

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
If the car wins at Le Mans not even Bill and Edsel will be able to afford one on resale. All other recently released cars ie NSX, proposed Zora, Huracan etc already look dated (IMO).

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I love the discussion here, but, as I have said before, I'll never be able to afford one - it will stay just out of my reach, just as the Jaguars (D &E types), Astons (DB4s & 5s), Ford GT40s, Maseratis and Ferraris did back in my youth. And, I will love to see it, on the track or on the street, wherever it travels and will follow its escapades throughout the rest of my lifetime. That said, I won't ever sell the #2 car, even if it were a straight trade across, as I love it dearly - it is a part of me.

I have two Fords, and I'm the original owner of both - my 1966 Mustang, and my 2005 Ford GT. Truthfully, that is enough. I would love to have been involved in some respect in the new GT, but I'm too old to provide anything substantial. I will watch and admire the car, through its development cycle, as I did with the original GTs back in 1963/64 as they were being developed into the GT40s that dominated endurance racing. Thank you, Henry ("the deuce) Ford, for the excitement you put into my life, and for the great friendships that I was able to have during my youth. The memories I have are worth more than all the GT's that have been built. Currently, I'm in the process of rebuilding my '66 Mustang 2+2 Fastback to the configuration that I could not afford when I bought it - and it is a labor of love to be able to perform the changes myself at my advanced age.

Long live the Ford GT - in all forms,

and the Ford Motor Company, who has designed and built the beautiful cars that I own, and those that I appreciate and aspire to ....

:beer2: :cheers :beer2:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I love the discussion here, but, as I have said before, I'll never be able to afford one - it will stay just out of my reach, just as the Jaguars (D &E types), Astons (DB4s & 5s), Ford GT40s, Maseratis and Ferraris did back in my youth. And, I will love to see it, on the track or on the street, wherever it travels and will follow its escapades throughout the rest of my lifetime. That said, I won't ever sell the #2 car, even if it were a straight trade across, as I love it dearly - it is a part of me.

I have two Fords, and I'm the original owner of both - my 1966 Mustang, and my 2005 Ford GT. Truthfully, that is enough. I would love to have been involved in some respect in the new GT, but I'm too old to provide anything substantial. I will watch and admire the car, through its development cycle, as I did with the original GTs back in 1963/64 as they were being developed into the GT40s that dominated endurance racing. Thank you, Henry ("the deuce) Ford, for the excitement you put into my life, and for the great friendships that I was able to have during my youth. The memories I have are worth more than all the GT's that have been built. Currently, I'm in the process of rebuilding my '66 Mustang 2+2 Fastback to the configuration that I could not afford when I bought it - and it is a labor of love to be able to perform the changes myself at my advanced age.

Long live the Ford GT - in all forms,

and the Ford Motor Company, who has designed and built the beautiful cars that I own, and those that I appreciate and aspire to ....

:beer2: :cheers :beer2:

+1000. So true.

Every time one of the 65-66 Mustangs crosses an auction block, my wife says it's the only one she really likes. Maybe it's time. I missed out on one of the sweetest - it was at the BJ auction the year we sold ours and I bought the Cobra. It was the one owned by Ricky Nelson's sons and had been very well (not concours) restored and had a trunk full of trophies that went along with it. I might try to hunt it down :)

Edit: This one

http://classiccarslist.com/ford/220...onvertible-4-speed-owned-by-ricky-nelson.html

Sold at BJ for 73.7K:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1965-FORD-MUSTANG-CONVERTIBLE-K-CODE-71277

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
PS - I guess I should also thank Enzo Ferrari - for pissing off "the deuce" enough to make all this possible!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
PS - I guess I should also thank Enzo Ferrari - for pissing off "the deuce" enough to make all this possible!

Yep. That was perhaps the earliest (non war) instance of "I don't get mad, I get even" event I can remember.