My friend Ray Hofman.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
A very well fitting tribute to a extraordinary great FGT friend. Thank you Chip.

My sincere condolences to family and friends! Ray will, just like our other great FGT friend Bony, never be forgotten.

Here is a picture from the Pre Rally in Scottsdale @ Chips house back in 2008.

View attachment 32961

A loss of a great human being.

You're pretty special yourself Chip.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Chip
You truly have a gift of capturing the essence of what you write about. A great tribute to a man who obviously was very special and gifted and loving and giving and passionate and ......
Thank you.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Respect and Love beyond measure

Ray gassed.jpg
Ray ride along.jpg
God please Bless his family in everyway possible.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I flew into Midland yesterday and visited the CAF museum. The American flag is at half staff and the pilots will be flying a missing man formation over Ray's service tomorrow. Everywhere we go when people ask us what brought us to Midland and I tell them we came to attend Ray Hofman's funeral the response is about the same. Everybody in this city knows who Ray is. He cast a big shadow in Midland, Texas.

I'm leaving to pick up Charley in a few minutes. I still can't believe why I'm here. Dammit.

Chip

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I appreciate hearing your memories, Chip.

On my way to the Rally in New Orleans I picked up a flu bug. I was feeling too under the weather to take my GT on the track that week. It was disappointing after traveling so far not to go on the track.

After Ray introduced his new cars, Gabrielle and I hung around the center and got to speak with Ray and Janna for a little while. We were both impressed by how down to earth both were. I can now say I am glad that missed that chance to go on the track and instead shared a few moments with an amazing person and his wife.

FordGT4fun

Thanks Chip for the wonderful write-up, Tomorrow i will be in tough with all of you.

Pierre

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Thanks Chip.

Ed

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thank You Chip, you will be representing many of us who can't be with you tomorrow.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

It's 6:50am on Monday as I type this on my phone. Ray's visitation was yesterday from 3 to 5pm. His casket was closed of course and Janna and the 4 boys were very gracious as they stood for 2 and a half hours to speak individually to over 500 people who showed up. DBK, Shelby Smith, Donny Mac, Mitch Clark, and I (I'm sure I missed some) were some of the GT Forum members present today. John Mihovitz and his wife drove 22 hours from LA to be here. An assembly that spanned from oil field workers to CEO's. I spent time with Janna and all 4 sons. Janna told me she sat down with the 4 boys and they made a list of the amazing things they did with Ray and it was clear that they did more, saw more, and experienced more with Ray in the time they had with him than they could have with anyone else in 50 years and so they were all lucky. I spoke at length with Ray's mom and dad, his brother, and Janna's parents. My final conversation occurred after the visitation was finished.

I stood by Ray alone for some time to have one final talk with my buddy.

Afterward Mitch Clark hosted a huge gathering at his amazing home for hundreds of Ray's friends and family. Late last night Ray's son Dylan went to dinner with Charley and me.

The funeral service is later today.

Chip

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Thanks Chip. God Bless.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
rajahu8y.jpg

ryru3e4u.jpg

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
What a beautiful service with a tremendous message from Janna and Rays Pastor. On line broadcast was like you were sitting there. Prayers to Janna, his boys and family and friends.

FordGT4fun

Thanks Tommy for sharing the link, in fact it was a beautiful service, watching the video resuming his life gave me goose bumps.
God bless his family

Pierre

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Chip, This is Shawn Beard. It was good to see you today. I only wish it were under different circumstances. The last time we saw each other we were at Rays hanger
sweeping 10,000sqft and arranging Rays cars to get them at the perfect angle,lol

I am going to miss that guy.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
What a beautiful service with a tremendous message from Janna and Rays Pastor. On line broadcast was like you were sitting there. Prayers to Janna, his boys and family and friends.

That was one of the best I have ever witnessed. Leslie and I sat here and watched/cried through the entire service.

GGPatterson

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2011
Midland, TX
Chip, thanks for sharing all those memories. Very cool. It was great to briefly chat with you today about Ray's love for yellow. During my GT hunt I can specifically remember an email from Ray instructing me to buy yellow, when I was dead set on red. Many months later a yellow GT found its way into my life and now I wouldn't want any other color. He will forever be a part of my GT.

Last edited:

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Thanks for sharing all those stories and memories Chip. I know he was very close to you and Charley. I've always enjoyed hearing about Ray's adventures and have been amazed at how much he has done, particularly with flying, in such a short time. Prayers go out to Janna and their sons.