Availability ofRicardo transaxles

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Glad to help guys. I also checked on the transaxle price inflation. Ford has raiased the price about 10% on the transaxles over the last 3 years. I am sure this will continue...and increase further as supply gets more limited, but it appears that should be quite a few years.

Core deposit - due to the nature of the vehicle I believe Ricardo does have the intent of "re-manufacturing" transaxles down the road...but this is just an educated guess. Serious hardware to completely scrap if they do get hurt and need a rebuild.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
We know where one of them ended up...in a very highly modified, high dollar '69 Stang.:willy

apparently 15 of our spare Ricardo Transaxles have been swiped to be used in the Venom kit car made in Texas :thumbsdow

it is my understanding that now the prices are 50% higher for Ricardo Transaxles than they were 5 years ago :frown

seeing how you can get a Sequential transmission for a GT for $25,000 i would have to assume that the price for a Ricardo would never exceed that? anybody care to speculate? also does anybody know how much power a sequential trans in a GT can handle?

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
EuropeanGT (Sascha) would know. He builds the GT3 cars.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
EuropeanGT (Sascha) would know. He builds the GT3 cars.

i also wonder if a sequential trans has a reverse?

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
i also wonder if a sequential trans has a reverse?

Yes, some have. Depends on model and the build up specs.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What models would work for the 1000+ lbft that some motors are putting out.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Dunno right off. Good question for Fassbender. He builds the cars and services the gearboxes. I think he still uses European GT here.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
What models would work for the 1000+ lbft that some motors are putting out.

i also wonder what the difference in weight between a Sequential and a Ricardo is?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona

thanks for the info :thumbsup

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I'll shoot him an email. All may be known soon.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I'll shoot him an email. All may be known soon.

I was at his shop last month. Nice guy.

European GT

GT Owner
Aug 20, 2012
We changed a ricardo to a hewland seq. gearbox......It is not, a just do it job! we talk about a pricing of around 70K € We changed the bellhouse, gearbox, clutch, driveshafts, the shiftstick and the ecu. Do change the gears without clutch you need a gearcut. The car is not good for daily using! You can use the car on track but not in the twon center. We have developed a paddel shift systems that change the gears with the ricardo stock gearbox. We are testing it at the moment in a Porsche and it works well, we want to try that it fits on all H-Gearboxes.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
We changed a ricardo to a hewland seq. gearbox......It is not, a just do it job! we talk about a pricing of around 70K € We changed the bellhouse, gearbox, clutch, driveshafts, the shiftstick and the ecu. Do change the gears without clutch you need a gearcut. The car is not good for daily using! You can use the car on track but not in the twon center. We have developed a paddel shift systems that change the gears with the ricardo stock gearbox. We are testing it at the moment in a Porsche and it works well, we want to try that it fits on all H-Gearboxes.

Have you repaired any Ricardo boxes?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
They are not indestructible.

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 330

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
They are not indestructible.

Ed

What's the story there, if I may ask?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
That's why we call him "Special" Ed!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Put it in reverse at 100 mph?

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Put it in reverse at 100 mph?
That appears to be a fatigue failure based on the "beach marks" versus a single "shot"...many cycles over a long time. Is it a stock pinion and final drive?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What's the story there, if I may ask?

+1

IOW - what was going on at the time?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
That appears to be a fatigue failure based on the "beach marks" versus a single "shot"...many cycles over a long time. Is it a stock pinion and final drive?
Stillen's 3.9 gears.