Purchased GT: Now which exhaust system?

Treviso

GT Owner
Jul 19, 2012
Metro Detroit
As many of you have read on a previous post, I just purchased a 1500 mile 2005 Black/Silver Stripes FGT and I am considering having a mod done replacing the
original exhaust system. Is this a "must do" on a FGT? Which system do you like and why? I would like to avoid the drone noise at higher speeds. Please help!

Treviso (Rob)

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Don’t know where you are located. The GT Guys exhaust sounds great, looks good and comes with installation. Located in south Detroit. I love mine and always turns heads when I go by, car will be set up and tuned to run with their exhaust.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Rob, if I recall from your prior post, you are in MI, if so, this will be a HUGE upside for you.

http://thegtguy.com/

People ship their cars from all over the country to them. Got a chance to visit them while in the area last month. Fantastic facility, and great people!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Rob-

Exhaust sound from your GT is very individual and varies greatly between systems offered and owner's taste. You need to decide for yourself what sounds best to you.

Use the search function of this Forum for many previous discussions. Dave, has also identified a thread which captures most of this info at http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?3051-Complete-Rally-Exhaust-Compilation

Your best bet would be to hold off until the GT annual gathering in New Orleans this year. You would then be able to hear a multitude of systems in person idling and under load. You can then choose your liking.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Rob....I too have a black '05 with the only mods being a pulley/tune and a Heffner H-pipe. Although not all others on the forum who have the same set up have experienced a droning issue ....I certainly have. It comes on between 2,000 and 2,300 rpm (regardless of speed) and is VERY VERY noticable. It is so bad that I have considered going back to the stock can or to a Borla set-up. I can't bring myself to change it out though as the sound in every other rpm (especially WOT) range is absolutely incredible.

As many of you have read on a previous post, I just purchased a 1500 mile 2005 Black/Silver Stripes FGT and I am considering having a mod done replacing the
original exhaust system. Is this a "must do" on a FGT? Which system do you like and why? I would like to avoid the drone noise at higher speeds. Please help!

Treviso (Rob)

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Rob....I too have a black '05 with the only mods being a pulley/tune and a Heffner H-pipe. Although not all others on the forum who have the same set up have experienced a droning issue ....I certainly have. It comes on between 2,000 and 2,300 rpm (regardless of speed) and is VERY VERY noticable. It is so bad that I have considered going back to the stock can or to a Borla set-up. I can't bring myself to change it out though as the sound in every other rpm (especially WOT) range is absolutely incredible.

i would have to agree with the above statement. easy fix though, drive at rpm below 1800 or above 2400. the sound is amazing at wot. it brought on a huge smile from my 17 year old son.(who helped me install the h-pipe). the drone surprisingly did not bother my wife.
i made the change mainly to reduce the under hood temp. the reduction of weight and awesome sound are bonus.

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
Personally, I like the sound of the stock exhaust system. Then again too, I like to have the windows down while driving the car. Just a couple of weeks ago, I spent well over 20+ hours in the seat driving at various speeds for extended periods of time. The sound level of the exhaust was always very comfortable and in my way of thinking, intoxicating, and, I really like the sound of the super-charger as well. Just broke the 10K mile mark on this trip and the car has never run better. Take delivery of the car and drive it. Have some fun in it and if you still feel that you need to change out the system, do it.

Know too, that we have other cars with various exhaust notes: 65 Big Block Vette with side pipes (need ear protection with drives of over 50 miles, (heck, make that 20 miles, but still wonderful): 355 Ferrari GTS, lovely sounds with the top off as well as on, with OEM exhaust: C-1 and C-2 Vettes with off-road exhaust systems, simply wonderful, and a couple of air cooled Porsche's. So, if there is a need for an exhaust thrill, we can choose the flavor for the day or mix it up during the day.... DJ.

PS: Don't really need a louder exhaust to get noticed in the FGT...... Just wait till you drive it a bit..... You will be amazed.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
You can listen to Jay Leno's GT with the FRPP/Borla here: http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/2005-ford-gt/1239296/

As a new owner myself, I would echo DanielJ's comments. Stock sounds sweet to me with windows down. I could be tempted by the Borla. One thing I could not tolerate is a drone at highway speeds. If you do a search there are many many threads on exhaust. The bottom line is...tada!...it's a very personal choice.

I think the best advice is to A) get to the rally in New Orleans and listen to all the musical notes and B) enjoy driving your car.

Last edited:

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Which Exhaust System?

The exhaust system I like and use, is the JBA Complete Exhaust System!!! I like it, because it is MODULAR!!! You can run it WITH/WITH OUT the cats, WITH/WITH OUT the STOCK muffler!!! It comes WITH headers, HF cats OR cat DELETE pipe, and With/With out JBA muffler. You can use ANY aftermart muffler/muffler delete etc too!!! :thumbsup

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Exhaust

Thanks for the nice words Blake and Andy.

Rob if you want to drop by and visit us we usually have a variety of systems to listen to on hand. If not see you at the Rally.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
The Hennessey exhaust I have on mine is hands down my favorite part of the car.

www.hennesseyperformance.com/ststexsy.html

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
GT Guys + a good tune = pretty awesome sound and excellent power.

Edit that; + a Torrie tune = superb sound AND power.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Love my Heffner Cat back. Have had it on for 8k miles. Sounds awesome and I think it is nice a quite when cruising. Of course I like a good sounding Ford V8!!!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
No wrong answer here. Keep in mind the stock system has much more punch behind the car. It has a nice V8 rummble for onlookers but the sound inside the cabin is minimal. Personally, I just go straight pipe but I don't like my neighbors.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Stock is rock solid.

I remember the sales rep starting it on floor of NYC showroom.....I was inside car & it sealed deal.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am with Fubar.

You only live once.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Stock is rock solid.

I remember the sales rep starting it on floor of NYC showroom.....I was inside car & it sealed deal.

Stock is a little too quiet and much too HEAVY! It also obstructs air flow and increase the chances of the clamshell vents warping.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Hennessey, GT Guys, Ford Racing, Borla...and now Cooltech.
Kendall and Ryan have a new exhaust they just debuted on another thread.
The beauty of this issue is there's no wrong choice, just personal preference!

futuregt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 25, 2005

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Stock is a little too quiet and much too HEAVY! It also obstructs air flow and increase the chances of the clamshell vents warping.

I thought the clamshell vents were associates with the Hessessey/Heffner exhausts that curve up to the same heights but with no insulation. I really don't don't know, I liked the look of the billet vents more so it wasn't even a question of "if I should change them."