Oil Separator

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Won't Jegs take it back? :biggrin

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You may also want to search "blow-by", alot of info.

I read your thread, did you ever get pictures up of your system?

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
eg1985 when will they be available and how much?

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
Sorry for not posting more photos sooner; we've been busy doing a very custom GTX1 (more on that shortly). Anyway, here are some additional photos of both units installed. I did 10 of each and they went quick; we have 5 more of each in powder coat now and can ship them this next week.
FGT_sep1.jpg

FGT_sep2.jpg

FGT_sep3.jpg

FGT_sep4.jpg

:thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
There is a long thread here with a trick, inexpensive setup pioneered by StormCat. Please do a search.

I have the Stormcat-developed system in my GT, and although you cannot beat its cost I don't think it captures all the oil being vented into the S/C. I say this because it very rarely needs emptying despite the small size of its reservoir. I am in the process of installing a Moroso separator much larger than the Jegs unit I presently have, but apparently smaller than the new one being developed, above. I bought the Moroso device the day before the new one was announced!

Howard

I upgraded the capacity from my original set-up with this unit. It's Blue ano Aluminum. Small light and compact. Howard sent me his photos and it's a nice install. The unit he is using may offer better filtering than the one I have.

Attachments

• Catch can 1.jpg
    Catch can 1.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 468

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Both are very nice. I like black anodized.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Here are some photos of the Moroso separator Stormcat referred to. It has a valve at the bottom for emptying the reservoir. Although I couldn't use any of the Moroso mounting brackets it was easy to fab my own using the same 12mm mounting hole employed by the new anodized unit in this thread.

HowardFGT Separator Mounted 2.jpg

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
FGT Separator Mounted 1.jpgLet's see if I can post the other photo that failed to transfer.....

Howard

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Do these other separators use kitty litter like StormCat's?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Are you guys finding that running only one on the passenger side is enough and no oil is coming from the driver side hose?

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
Do these other separators use kitty litter like StormCat's?
Ours does not; we use a series of baffles and a specific brass packing material. The Moroso and Diablo sport units do not use kitty litter.

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
Are you guys finding that running only one on the passenger side is enough and no oil is coming from the driver side hose?

Yes, when we designed ours we were very careful to maintain a free-flow thru the separator so as to not stack up pressure under boost and allow oil vapor to go back into the "clean side" ahead of the throttle body. We see that problem on the LSx Corvettes and Camaros and we are in the latter stages of designing a dual unit for those cars to prevent that exact problem which is partially due to the smaller (3/8") PCV system used on those engines. Ours maintains the OE 5/8" diameter throughout.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is the last picture showing the unit in a jig ready for welding?

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
Is the last picture showing the unit in a jig ready for welding?

Exactly

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Yes, when we designed ours we were very careful to maintain a free-flow thru the separator so as to not stack up pressure under boost and allow oil vapor to go back into the "clean side" ahead of the throttle body. We see that problem on the LSx Corvettes and Camaros and we are in the latter stages of designing a dual unit for those cars to prevent that exact problem which is partially due to the smaller (3/8") PCV system used on those engines. Ours maintains the OE 5/8" diameter throughout.

The larger line takes care of flow restrictions 95%+ of the time when the manifold is under vacuum and the flow is from the passenger side valve cover through the PCV valve to the intake. But under boost, the PCV valve should close and in that case all of the blow by will flow from the drivers side to a inlet port between the MAF the throttle body.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
The larger line takes care of flow restrictions 95%+ of the time when the manifold is under vacuum and the flow is from the passenger side valve cover through the PCV valve to the intake. But under boost, the PCV valve should close and in that case all of the blow by will flow from the drivers side to a inlet port between the MAF the throttle body.

I put a one way check valve in that line, similar to PCV

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I put a one way check valve in that line, similar to PCV

If you put a check value in so that air can only enter the drivers side valve cover, that ensures that under boost the blow by gases will have to pressurize the crankcase to whatever the intake's pressure is before any flow goes out the PCV valve. I wouldn't do that for a mile run for fear of blowing out some seals!

IMO either use two oil separators, or accept the fact that under certain conditions a small amount of oil can enter from the drivers side. I think the passenger side would take care of most of the problem and since no oil separator is 100%, doing the other side may not make any real difference to be worth the trouble. But using a check valve if you stay on boost for a long periods of time is asking for trouble!

For EP it would be fine.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We are on track to intro our catch can at the Rally. Perhaps we will be one of the last ones, so we know we have to be good! Here are some pics of the catch-can that we are adapting for fitment in the GT. I honestly think that it is the best catch-can on the market and only fitting for the GT. Two finishes will be available. The black mild crinkle finish and the satin stainless (shown). Inside, four filter screens create a maze for the PCV gases to navigate allowing oil droplets to collect as lighter gasses pass. Gravity lends a hand, collecting the oil and gunk at the bottom of the can. A bottom drain allows the can to be drained at any time.

The pictures show a plug, but our production pieces will have a brass petcock and a short length of hose so that the unit can be easily drained into a container with no mess. A unique feature of the can is the integrated dip-stick. It has a very firm fit and a viton o-ring for a good seal. As you can see, the design allows us to orienate the inlet and outlet ports for a very customized installation.

photo3.JPG
photo1.JPG
photo5.JPG
photo2.JPG
photo6.JPG

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
If you put a check value in so that air can only enter the drivers side valve cover, that ensures that under boost the blow by gases will have to pressurize the crankcase to whatever the intake's pressure is before any flow goes out the PCV valve. I wouldn't do that for a mile run for fear of blowing out some seals!

IMO either use two oil separators, or accept the fact that under certain conditions a small amount of oil can enter from the drivers side. I think the passenger side would take care of most of the problem and since no oil separator is 100%, doing the other side may not make any real difference to be worth the trouble. But using a check valve if you stay on boost for a long periods of time is asking for trouble!

For EP it would be fine.
The Provent has a built-in pressure relief valve, Ive tried but can't find what pressure it is set at.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
We are on track to intro our catch can at the Rally. Perhaps we will be one of the last ones, so we know we have to be good! Here are some pics of the catch-can that we are adapting for fitment in the GT. I honestly think that it is the best catch-can on the market and only fitting for the GT. Two finishes will be available. The black mild crinkle finish and the satin stainless (shown). Inside, four filter screens create a maze for the PCV gases to navigate allowing oil droplets to collect as lighter gasses pass. Gravity lends a hand, collecting the oil and gunk at the bottom of the can. A bottom drain allows the can to be drained at any time.

The pictures show a plug, but our production pieces will have a brass petcock and a short length of hose so that the unit can be easily drained into a container with no mess. A unique feature of the can is the integrated dip-stick. It has a very firm fit and a viton o-ring for a good seal. As you can see, the design allows us to orienate the inlet and outlet ports for a very customized installation.

Isn't that the one Fubar posted early on?