Oil Separator

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
During my 4.0L Whipple install recently I was discussing the viability of adding an Air/Oil separator on the PCV line since I have seen and heard about how much oil is in the intake of these motors when you remove the supercharger. With the increased boost levels we see it becomes much more important; reducing the oil in the combustion chamber and lowering the effective octane rating of the fuel and keeping an oily film off intercooler core thus reducing it’s ability to transfer heat among other reasons. Evan Guyett told me that they were working on a design for this and getting close to finishing a version just for the FGT along with an complementary breather tank for the transaxle. We agreed that my car would get both during the install of the Whipple S/C. Evan installed the two tanks and they look as if they came OE on the car, just as he said they would. He said the Air/Oil separator has three different separating circuits in the unit along with a safety bypass should the unit become completely full. They even put a sight glass in the reservoir like the other reservoirs in the engine compartment. This is definitely a must-do in my opinion.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Photos please.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
Evan did the PPI on my GT and spent the majority of the day with me. He is a class act through and through!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Evan did the PPI on my GT and spent the majority of the day with me. He is a class act through and through!

Is this the same guy that used to work on Bony's car in Fresno?

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I have the OEM ACR-X Peterson oil seperator on my ACR for the same oil build-up issue. I would be interested....do you know the brand of the separator..?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The GT500 guys have been using separators for some time. Not sure anyone is producing on though.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We have a design in the works and have a prototype nearly done. Definitely plan to debut it at the Rally in August if not sooner. It will be custom kit for the GT with everything needed. The catch can component is, in our opinion, the best on the market and we've looked at a lot.

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
The Air/Oil separator I prototyped on Bruce's car was developed over months of working closely with one of the top oil system manufacturers on the market who make the majority of the oil system components for the NHRA Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, and Pro-Mod guys as well as many of the World of Outlaws and road race teams. Ever since the first time I removed an FGT supercharger I noticed the excess amount of oil in the intake and coating the rotors on the supercharger. I originally looked at what was available, but after looking closely at the current designs out there, I started with a clean sheet of paper and made my own. First and foremost I wanted the function to be flawless with enough thru-flow to as not create any seal and gasket sealing issues under extreme crankcase pressure (a problem many of the Hi-HP turbo diesel crowd has faced for years) and Secondly, I wanted it to fit and look absolutely like it was OE on the car. Where this one differs is in the internal construction, and without giving too much away, I can say that it utilizes no less than three separation stages as well as a by-pass should the reservoir become completely full (highly unlikely due to the OE sight glass). We built the separator to bolt on in just minutes using existing bolt holes already in the chassis and without any modification to even the OEM PCV hose. I also built a matching breather tank for the transaxle that also bolts on and finished them both in the OEM Mini-Tex finish to match the other underhood reservoirs. Here's a pic on Bruce's car:
OilSeparator.jpg

I'm currently in production making a few of these thanks to Bruce showing them off.

Last edited:

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
I also just finished a version for the GTX1, which is slightly different in mounting.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The Air/Oil separator I prototyped on Bruce's car was developed over months of working closely with one of the top oil system manufacturers on the market who make the majority of the oil system components for the NHRA Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, and Pro-Mod guys as well as many of the World of Outlaws and road race teams. Ever since the first time I removed an FGT supercharger I noticed the excess amount of oil in the intake and coating the rotors on the supercharger. I originally looked at what was available, but after looking closely at the current designs out there, I started with a clean sheet of paper and made my own. First and foremost I wanted the function to be flawless with enough thru-flow to as not create any seal and gasket sealing issues under extreme crankcase pressure (a problem many of the Hi-HP turbo diesel crowd has faced for years) and Secondly, I wanted it to fit and look absolutely like it was OE on the car. Where this one differs is in the internal construction, and without giving too much away, I can say that it utilizes no less than three separation stages as well as a by-pass should the reservoir become completely full (highly unlikely due to the OE sight glass). We built the separator to bolt on in just minutes using existing bolt holes already in the chassis and without any modification to even the OEM PCV hose. I also built an complementary breather tank for the transaxle that also bolts on and finished them both in the OEM Mini-Tex finish to match the other underhood reservoirs. Here's a pic on Bruce's car:
OilSeparator.jpg

I'm currently in production making a few of these thanks to Bruce showing them off.

Very cool, much needed product. I was amazed at the oil I found when I install my Whipple with only 2K on the motor.

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA

Thanks Daniel! I hope you're getting lots of enjoyment out of your new car. :thumbsup

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
That prototype looks amazing.

JLT Performance makes a really nice billet one for the GT500.
http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=266_269&products_id=317

The glass versions seem out of place in the engine compartment.

I always wondered why the GT SC does not have an oil separator.

Please post more pics and feedback.

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
I will have some additional photos by next week when I get a run of both parts done.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is a long thread here with a trick, inexpensive setup pioneered by StormCat. Please do a search.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I did the stormcat one ~2 yr's ago.... cost ~$20 from Sumitt

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
You may also want to search "blow-by", alot of info.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Mark did you install this?

http://www.namotorsports.net/detail.cfm/part_cd/DD42-CCU-012

Even has a dipstick!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I have the Stormcat-developed system in my GT, and although you cannot beat its cost I don't think it captures all the oil being vented into the S/C. I say this because it very rarely needs emptying despite the small size of its reservoir. I am in the process of installing a Moroso separator much larger than the Jegs unit I presently have, but apparently smaller than the new one being developed, above. I bought the Moroso device the day before the new one was announced!

Howard