John Mihovetz [ ACCUFAB ] Modifying my crankshaft

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
John,

Why do you prefer the ATI damper over the IW? I bought the IW for the GT500 solely based on the fact that it was a Ford Racing part and is used on the Cobra Jet. I didn't realize the ATI was a better option.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
... because everyone drives different and everyone stretches the truth about how they drive.
...only to church on Sundays and never in the rain... :lol

John,
It was good to talk with you the other day. Once again I appreciated your time and advice.

Best Regards,
Jason

Accufab

Mar 14, 2006
Ford used the IW part because it was cheaper not better. Bean counters I guess. I recently saw 2 2011 Mustangs back to back on the dyno break the oil pump gears after installing the "other" balancer. I told the customer not to use this balancer but he insisted anyway. Both engines are locked up and now he can pay me to fix them. Again, I made the customer aware of his perils before he made his own choice. I did not do the installation, just got to watch the dyno runs. My experience with the IW parts goes back to 1993 and my own personal Mustang Cobra. Not much has changed since then except I just do not endorse their product.

I am priveleged to a lot of information the rest of the world does not get to see. I can't get into the details so read between the lines.

When your heart fails are you going to buy a discount pacemaker or are you going to buy the best available? Every dampener manufacturer is different and I don't care to dissect each one to see why it works or doesn't work. Now if I was not satisfied with the products available, I guess I would take the time to figure it out. In this case I have been 100% satisfied and never had a failure with ATI. I cannot say that with my past experiences with other products. I recently had a conversation with the owner of ATI. We will be making some machining changes to their product to make it even better in the near future. I approached them with dimensions and facts and used parts to evaluate to substantiate my changes.

Nice to work with a company like that. And I ordered some more dampeners for upcoming builds.

John

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
A couple years ago we put the IW in my GT, and within a few miles the seal was leaking. I yanked it out and went back to stock and said just forget it.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
A couple years ago we put the IW in my GT, and within a few miles the seal was leaking. I yanked it out and went back to stock and said just forget it.

Amazing how that FACTORY stuff works, hun?

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Its kinda funny how there are so many opinions about this subject from so many that have never seen the internals of this engine. I know of a couple failures already and have fixed a couple. Not everyone posts their failures on this or any message board just so you know. Some poeple actually have more important things to do.

I am always up for a spirited discussion as long as I am dealing on an equal level with equally qualified individuals on the specific topic. In this case unless I'm mistaken, that person has not spoken yet. While I cannot predict the future, I can inform you of what the parts in front of me are telling me. I posted about this because I felt it would be useful information. And yes 95% of those here will never be affected by this problem.

In my case, I probably wouldn't tell anyone on here how to be a lawyer or how to fly a plane. That's not what I do and I just appreciate that they are experts at what they do if I ever need their services. But this particular field, this is what I do and I have certainly set the bar at every level thus far. For the few that are affected by this, I have a solution, not that I need the extra work.

I have built probably 25 GT based high performance engines and hundreds of 4.6 modular engines including Rays 2000 hp beast and my own 2300 hp beast. Probably devote 60 hours a week for the past 15 years to modular engine development. If I wanted the message diluted, I would do it myself.

All the best

John Mihovetz

HAHA That's what I love about John. He always tells it like it is and is honest :biggrin

I can tell you from experience, that there is no one else that will build my engines for high hp applications. He is the MOD MOTOR GOD :banana

We put my engine through hell and back and it never missed a beat...

Now where's my endurance motor John?? :willy

Happy New Year all :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
John, all pacemakers have to be FDA cleared. I don't think there's an organization to clear or certify auto parts. In essence, there is no such thing as a "cheap" or "cheaper" pacemaker. The choices are also very limited, unlike car parts where you have numerous makers. Like you said, you don't tell lawyers or pilots how to do things. I do agree that everyone can have an opinion.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
John, all pacemakers have to be FDA cleared. I don't think there's an organization to clear or certify auto parts. In essence, there is no such thing as a "cheap" or "cheaper" pacemaker. The choices are also very limited, unlike car parts where you have numerous makers. Like you said, you don't tell lawyers or pilots how to do things. I do agree that everyone can have an opinion.

DOT

FTSB

CARB

SFI
http://weekendamerica.publicradio.org/display/web/2007/12/21/coalinga/

FIA
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/regulations/Pages/ApprovalofTestHouses.aspx

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I stand corrected Ice. I'm not sure about the Coalinga connection.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I stand corrected Ice. I'm not sure about the Coalinga connection.

That was on another thread. Sam is considering relocated to the central valley of CA. I consider Coalinga to be part of the central valley.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Looks like Matech is using an ATi balancer on their engines also.
Matechengine-1.jpg

Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Looks like Matech is using an ATi balancer on their engins also.
Matechengine-1.jpg

Also, they are using old school cooling on it. meaning they moddified the block internally for the coolant to come out right above the alt in the pic. there is a non used hole in the blocks from the factory and they make a moddification right behind the water pump to allow coolant to this area. I wonder if they moved the motor forward an inch or two and that is the reason for this? i see they are running the oil pump off a 8 rib belt also. weird......

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
All Roush's setup for endurance racing

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
All Roush's setup for endurance racing
Roush is awesom however I think the Balancer is an ATI . Thanks Ray
IMG_0146.jpg

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
The a previous photo BTW is from this catalog.
IMG_0147.jpg

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I have not read the whole thread but I had similar issues on my car.

24k miles on a pulley and tune + 3k miles on a Whipple 4.0L resulted in a damaged keyway. Revolve/Mountune fixed the problem when rebuilding the engine.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Roush is awesom however I think the Balancer is an ATI . Thanks Ray

Ray meant Roush/Yates builds the motors for Maytech.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
24k miles on a pulley and tune + 3k miles on a Whipple 4.0L resulted in a damaged keyway...

Ouch. Thanks for posting that you had issues.

Best Regards,

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
^^^^ + 1

H

HHGT

911Teo. It would be great if you can detail your driving habits. In other words, do you do the 1/4 mile often? Launch procedure and how often and at what RPM? Rolling Pedal to the Metal? etc.. Also, when it gave out can you describe the noise/vibrations etc... What type of engine damage if any? Lastly was that a Ford Pulley?