Engine Codes ???

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
My car engine light came on yesterday. I took it to my local Ford deal hoping they would just read the code and call me. I told them I had installed Fords "cat delete" pipe. I also need some other minor things done. They just called me and told me both of my cats were bad and they had ordered new ones. Oui... I re-explained that my car has NO cats and seemed shocked.

So now the car is back in my garage. I guess I need to try and diagonose the problem myself. Here are the facts:

The codes they said were reported were: PO420 & PO430.

The car has had the cats off for 6 or 7 months with no issue.

I recently added headers but that was a month or two ago.

Any ideas? I suspect an O2 sensor has gone bad (but in both banks?).

If it is just the "cat delete" system can I turn off the light via the computer interface?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If you are still using the stock 4 O2 sensors and haven't changed tune to eliminate the CAT check you will get an error. The ECU checks that the O2 levels are lower post CATs than pre-cat. Since you don't have cats they will read the same. The 2nd set of O2 sensors are not needed with the cat delete pipes. A better use of the bungs are to put a wideband O2 in them, such as an Innovate LC-1.
Be sure to have your tuner turn off the CAT tests.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I think its o2 code, I had no cats on my car for a while and ran c116 race fuel and I never got a code.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
*** P0420 CATALYST SYSTEM EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD (bank 1) G (m) D (m) M (m)

*** P0430 CATALYST SYSTEM EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD (bank 2) G (m) M (m)

This is the cat monitor 02 Sensor or the secondary post cat. They just need to be disabled in the tune and you wont have any problems.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
P0420 and P0430 are indeed Bank 1 and Bank 2 catalytic efficiency failure. Since 1996 and the introduction of OBDII standards, the feds have mandated that all cars sold in the US have the capability to detect and report (via this error code) the failure of the cats.

You just need to have a tuner provide you a modified tune that turns off the test of these downstream O2 sensors. I would recommend leaving the O2's in place so as you may pass a "casual" visual inspection since most people won't be able to discern the difference between your resonators and OEM cats - as was demonstarted by your fine Ford technicians.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I wonder why the system worked for 7 months with no error codes?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Luck maybe

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Sense I got the engine light I haven't really gone out and tried to run her hard. Should I go easy on the old girl until I get her returned?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Sense I got the engine light I haven't really gone out and tried to run her hard. Should I go easy on the old girl until I get her returned?

No, drive the vehicle as intended.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

tcm668

Oct 10, 2006
You can make your own MIL Eliminators for a couple dollars of parts from Radio Shack or Auto Parts Store.. Just modify the ones on the back side of the "Cats" :thumbsup

Either solution should not require reprogramming to disable cat checks.

:banana
For the Electrically Inclined DIY'er. This is what I put on my Cobra R. Much cheaper than the Dallas Mustangs MIL eliminators.

You don't have to use a large chunk of PC board for this. You could just wire it cut and splice (solder and heatshrink) directly to the O2 sensor harness.

After Completion , wrap the whole thing in heatshrink tubing, and PCB Epoxy.

Follow Link.
http://cobrasvt.homestead.com/files/milelims/index.htm

----- CUT HERE ------

For the non Electrically inclined DIY'er,.

http://poisnus.com/files/Spark Plug Non Fouler Mil Elims/mil elims spark plug fowlers.htm

:cheers
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Thank you kindly.

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you kindly.

Fubar

Contact me if you have not already spoken with Torrie or ? as I care not to disrupt a process already under way

This is a easy issue

Shadowman