Customer Satisfaction Program 07B49

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
do these "temporary" and "final" recall parts have different part #'s ??????

if not can you tell by looking at the parts which ones are the "temporary" recall parts as opposed to the "final" recall parts?

the part # that was installed into my car was part # 4G7Z-4B490-A

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
on inspect of the parts you can tell

Early washer - Steel silver finish..normally concaved when removed

Mid- update washer - Steel Black oxide finish same dimensions as I recall, but was to be stronger.

Lastest Update - Steel Black Oxide finish but at least twice as thick. It also is counter sunk about 1/4 " for the bolts to slide in. All others are standard flat washers. I do not know about part numbers. Very Obvious difference.

I think Kendall NOTA4RE posted pics of the new kit. You may want to search. I think he had a pic of the box that has the part number on it.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
cobrar1339 - thanx 4 the info. i was able to confirm with my service advisor that the BIGGER washers with the counter sink are in fact the washers that were used on my recall :thumbsup

this dealer which is Berge ford in Mesa, Arizona has done about a 1/2 dozen recalls so far. they said that most all of them had damaged or broken parts come out and mine was the only one they have seen so far that looked perfect.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... they said that most all of them had damaged or broken parts come out and mine was the only one they have seen so far that looked perfect.

And in time YOUR'S TOO would have broken. It's been pointed out on wunna these threads that the origional bolts had an oxidation pblm (for want of a better word. They "rotted" so to speak!:lol) and failed due to this 'cause it made the bolts brittle. (It has to do with the bolt's alloy itself.)

So, regardless of the fact yours were okay 'TODAY' - we know now that eventually they wouldn't have been. 'Just a matter of time.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i would just like to go on record to say that i have only driven my GT 800 miles in the last 1 year of ownership since i became aware of this problem due to a post on this site. if it weren't for this site i might have driven my car at a high rate of speed and had a mechanical failure that might have caused me to wreck and die. so i would like to thank everybody here who have worked so hard to resolve this issue :thumbsup

i hope that i can can return the favor sometime :cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Freddy..
perhaps time to become a $upporting member??
Always glad to be here for fellow owners.
By the way PINKS was great :)
Cheers,
daniel

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Bony,
When Al Gore invented the internet, I thought he said it was free. :wink:biggrin

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Freddy..
perhaps time to become a $upporting member??
Always glad to be here for fellow owners.
By the way PINKS was great :)
Cheers,
daniel

B O N Y - Mark II Lifetime :usa i can pay anyway except paypal :cool

email or PM me the details :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
HEY ROC...
tell the folks in Columbus about global warming.... and 17 year old virgins :)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
B O N Y - Mark II Lifetime :usa i can pay anyway except paypal :cool

email or PM me the details :thumbsup

Hello Freddy,
Send a snail mail check to dbk at:
Dave Bannister
424 E. Parent Avenue
Royal Oak, MI
Thanks for supporting our forum
Cheers,
bony

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Hey Freddie-

The part number you have listed is the most current axle bolt fix so you got the correct hardware installed in your car and do not have to worry about this problem any more.

As for your assumed failure mode at high speed causing a crash, I believe there has only been one (of the many bolt failures) that occurred at any speed. 99% of failures have been reported during start from a standing stop. The car just fails to move when both inner bolts (the subject of the recall) fail, thus crash-and-burn from high speed failure is all media hype. Just doesn't happen.

EP had it "somewhat" right, the bolts were the problem (not the washer, and yes I know the "CC" kit washer looks so much different than the original oneS). The original internal hex bolts were electro-plated which with hardened steel promotes hydrogen embrittlement. A surface phenomon which causes micro cracks to develop which grow in fatigue until bolt area is compromised to a point it cannot withstand even the small loads imposed. The bolt then fails in shear. New kit has external hex head bolts from a domestic supplier without electro-plating. Bolt failures had nothing to do with how an owner "drove" his car (easy or hard).

The Ford kit also supplies the 6 (per side) torque-to-yield outer drive cup bolts which should be replaced as well. This is the recommended practice however, the bolts will not fail if used again in a pinch. The Accufab supplied drive cup bolts are not torqued beyond the material yield strength, which is OK as well just different than the TTY Ford specificies (and I agree) are better for this drive connection.

The Ford as well as the Accufab bolts solve the problem. End of this story.

Happy Motoring!

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
The Final Solution pieces are MUCH different. Look up the poto's posted previously. Should be in this thread - Nov/December time frame.

The earlier replacement pieces are "exactly" the same as those that cme with the GT from Wixom. Not sure of the part numbers. But they too need replacement.

Maybe Not So Empty Pockets has the part number listing in his instant recall memory bank. Larry Help me on this.

do these "temporary" and "final" recall parts have different part #'s ??????

if not can you tell by looking at the parts which ones are the "temporary" recall parts as opposed to the "final" recall parts?

the part # that was installed into my car was part # 4G7Z-4B490-A

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Hello Freddy,
Send a snail mail check to dbk at:
Dave Bannister
424 E. Parent Avenue
Royal Oak, MI
Thanks for supporting our forum
Cheers,
bony

Daniel i put the check in the mail today :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Thank You Freddy!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Part Number Requested

Latest ("CA" configuration) and final Ford axle bolt kit upgrade -
Part Number 4G7Z-4B490-A

This is the one you want to get installed.

Earlier Ford replacement kit ("BA" configuration) will not fix the bolt problem as it uses the same electroplated bolts (internal hex wrenching) as OEM supplied by Riccardo in the transaxle.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I think this may have been reported before, but my GT is getting the new Ford bolts put in, it's at the dealer right now and when they pulled the hub off- both bolt heads were sheared off! Passenger side, just like before. Talk about timing.:eek

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
God Bless the recall process!

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
Accufab.
Seems they have a PROVEN and positive track record!

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
Half Shaft Bolts

I was trying to get an appointment to do the Recall. The local dealer won't keep the car overnight and I am not here during the week.
Yesterday I drove the GT for the first time since October. It was fun! On my way to put it back in the garage I hear a bang and there is no connection between the engine and the wheels. The dreaded "Half Shaft Bolts", I assume. Roadside Assistance sent a nice young man who stopped on the way to pick up 2X8's to help load the car. I had him bring it back to the Dealer in NY that is not affraid of it!
I will find out tomorrow but I am sure that is the problem. By the way, I only have 2600 relatively gentle smiles.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Everybody should replace their bolts... driving on the original bolts is not a wise choice.