Wipple/TT

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Anyone done this?Both my gts are wippled,I got info on this with stock SC.
I talked to 2 well known tuners.They said not much different just more power.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The advantage that the superchargers have is that they can make significant power at very low RPMs. I've studied the dyno results of all of the different systems a LOT! There are cases where Whipple'd cars are making 200 HP MORE than a TT car at ~3200 RPM.

At the higher RPMs - say 4000 RPM up, either the TT or the Whipple can generate whatever boost level is desired. At these RPM's the SC is detrimental in conjunction with the TT's. First, the SC is a big honkin' heat sink right on top of the engine and secondly, the SC is consuming 125+ HP at the top of the RPM range. (This is the power required to spin the SC.)

My thoughts are as follows:

1) A Whipple is an excellent cost/benefit upgrade. If you 1/4mi the car at all, the car is going to go like stink. Most on-road go-fast scenarios are also likely handled well by the Whipple.

2) A TT car is going to "feel" a lot different. The slope of the power curve is near vertical when the turbos spool up. The TT cars will have less HP a lower R's but easily more HP at the top. (Again, for the same amount of boost, the TT will have 100+ HP advantage because they do not have to spin the SC.) Some will say that the TT may be more fitting for the GT because the slight delay of full-on power gives the car a chance to hook-up, whereas the almost instant-on of the Whipple is a quick tire shreader. Of course those that are looking for the instant-on will love the Whipple.

3) An SC +TT car has the advantage of marrying both worlds. The SC will give you the low-end power and the turbos can generate all the boost you want at the 4K+ RPMs. My opinion is that in this scenario, the stock SC is going to work BETTER than the Whipple. You don't need the higher boost level capability of the Whipple, but you will have the added HP consumption of the Whipple over the stock blower.

In summary:

Whipple - One of the best price/performance mods. Proven by many examples on the road and a lot of smiling faces.

TT - A great addition to the car, albeit at a higher expense. The car will feel wickedly fast as you hit the carrier-launch part of the power band. I also think the the TT car will give you more consistent power levels on a road course, for example, whereas the large physical size of the Whipple *may* begin to adversely effect inlet temps. Also, any perceived disadvantage of the TT is eliminated because the rpm's on a track will be more consistently in the TT powerband.

Stock SC + TT - A very unique combination. The Hennesey kit looked and performed awesome! Maybe the best of both worlds.... for those who drive their cars almost exclusively on the street and/or the 1/4 mi. On the road course track, your rpms will likely always be in the sweet spot of the TT's and then the SC is just along for the ride and some increased inlet temps. A cool mod and a nice place to "store" your stock SC. (You aren't going to sell it, anyway!)

Whipple SC +TT - I wouldn't recommended. John and Jason can certainly correct me.

Also, one of the favorites at Rally 3 was the Tungsten GTX with TT AND short gears. This may be one of the best overall combinations that you can put together.

Sorry for the long post. My $.03 on the topic.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Mine was the 1st Whippled GT... love it!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I was number 2
Avis aka Bony

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I was number 2
Avis aka Bony

Bony should have been #1 but he snoozed and he lost his place in the front of the line :banana:thumbsup

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
The advantage that the superchargers have is that they can make significant power at very low RPMs. I've studied the dyno results of all of the different systems a LOT! There are cases where Whipple'd cars are making 200 HP MORE than a TT car at ~3200 RPM.

At the higher RPMs - say 4000 RPM up, either the TT or the Whipple can generate whatever boost level is desired. At these RPM's the SC is detrimental in conjunction with the TT's. First, the SC is a big honkin' heat sink right on top of the engine and secondly, the SC is consuming 125+ HP at the top of the RPM range. (This is the power required to spin the SC.)

My thoughts are as follows:

1) A Whipple is an excellent cost/benefit upgrade. If you 1/4mi the car at all, the car is going to go like stink. Most on-road go-fast scenarios are also likely handled well by the Whipple.

2) A TT car is going to "feel" a lot different. The slope of the power curve is near vertical when the turbos spool up. The TT cars will have less HP a lower R's but easily more HP at the top. (Again, for the same amount of boost, the TT will have 100+ HP advantage because they do not have to spin the SC.) Some will say that the TT may be more fitting for the GT because the slight delay of full-on power gives the car a chance to hook-up, whereas the almost instant-on of the Whipple is a quick tire shreader. Of course those that are looking for the instant-on will love the Whipple.

3) An SC +TT car has the advantage of marrying both worlds. The SC will give you the low-end power and the turbos can generate all the boost you want at the 4K+ RPMs. My opinion is that in this scenario, the stock SC is going to work BETTER than the Whipple. You don't need the higher boost level capability of the Whipple, but you will have the added HP consumption of the Whipple over the stock blower.

In summary:

Whipple - One of the best price/performance mods. Proven by many examples on the road and a lot of smiling faces.

TT - A great addition to the car, albeit at a higher expense. The car will feel wickedly fast as you hit the carrier-launch part of the power band. I also think the the TT car will give you more consistent power levels on a road course, for example, whereas the large physical size of the Whipple *may* begin to adversely effect inlet temps. Also, any perceived disadvantage of the TT is eliminated because the rpm's on a track will be more consistently in the TT powerband.

Stock SC + TT - A very unique combination. The Hennesey kit looked and performed awesome! Maybe the best of both worlds.... for those who drive their cars almost exclusively on the street and/or the 1/4 mi. On the road course track, your rpms will likely always be in the sweet spot of the TT's and then the SC is just along for the ride and some increased inlet temps. A cool mod and a nice place to "store" your stock SC. (You aren't going to sell it, anyway!)

Whipple SC +TT - I wouldn't recommended. John and Jason can certainly correct me.

Also, one of the favorites at Rally 3 was the Tungsten GTX with TT AND short gears. This may be one of the best overall combinations that you can put together.

Sorry for the long post. My $.03 on the topic.

SC is taking closer to 90hp @ 14,000rpm, 23psi. There are "pumping" losses when trying to squeeze air through the SC which may help equal over 125hp. Because the housing is being pressurizied, the built in volume ratio should be modified to help this.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I can attest for performance and throttle response of Torries Twin Turbo . Really something !! Very predictable and nice powerband ,well it seemed to always be in the powerband !! The car leaped from turn to turn !!! Very nice ,thrilled I got to try on a race track !!! Thank you Torrie

H

HHGT

I was Kendall's virgin - Whipple that is. :biggrin

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I can attest for performance and throttle response of Torries Twin Turbo . Really something !! Very predictable and nice powerband ,well it seemed to always be in the powerband !! The car leaped from turn to turn !!! Very nice ,thrilled I got to try on a race track !!! Thank you Torrie

Absolutely no problem !

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Absolutely no problem !

Torrie I thought you had SC +TT and did you not try the Whip later?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Torrie I thought you had SC +TT and did you not try the Whip later?

Yeah my car has gone thru many stages in its progression in my research with it most definitely. PM me if you would like on this.

JTHennessey

Jul 28, 2008
Houston, TX
We would definitely be interested in talking to you in regards to placing our Twin Turbo kit on your Whippled GT. Feel free to contact us anytime at 979-885-1300.

Thanks
James

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
We would definitely be interested in talking to you in regards to placing our Twin Turbo kit on your Whippled GT. Feel free to contact us anytime at 979-885-1300.

Thanks
James

What does the TT addition cost?

Mar 15, 2006
What does the TT addition cost?

We offered a GT Rally show special of $29,500 installed with a 1 year warranty. We will be extending that special thru the end of September.

Our GT TT / SC dyno tested 890 rw hp yesterday on 19 psi boost on 93 octane. We gave test rides to about 20 GT owners at the Rally. Maybe some of them will give their impression of our system from a passenger's perspective.

GT350H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 3, 2006
Portland, Oregon
I was one of the fortunate one's to ride in the Hennessey TT while in Vegas. The car appears to be very docile and drivable on a daily basis. However, when you put your foot in it, Oh MY God, hold on. Wheel spin at 120 is great! Thanks, John

Mar 15, 2006
I was one of the fortunate one's to ride in the Hennessey TT while in Vegas. The car appears to be very docile and drivable on a daily basis. However, when you put your foot in it, Oh MY God, hold on. Wheel spin at 120 is great! Thanks, John

Thanks for being brave enough to ride with me! It was great meeting you!

H

HHGT

Oh MY God, hold on. Wheel spin at 120 is great!

Wheel spin at 120? :eek:eek:eek:eek:eek

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I was Kendall's virgin - Whipple that is. :biggrin

Yes, and I am thankful. Kendall & Ryan told me that they were able to correct many of the mistakes they made while working on your car. :lol

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Sam, feel free to stop by anytime. I think we now know where those leftover 4 screws, 2 bolts and large spring go now. Also, does your blower still rattle? I can't seem to find my small needle nose pliars and I was just wondering....

H

HHGT

Sam, feel free to stop by anytime. I think we now know where those leftover 4 screws, 2 bolts and large spring go now. Also, does your blower still rattle? I can't seem to find my small needle nose pliars and I was just wondering....

Ha Ha. The only loose screws are in your head.

Are you home Sunday? I wanna race your sorry A$$, on the Sony Play Station of course.